What's new

Buy new or used vehicle? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am really struggling with this decision.

I have found a pretty good deal on a used 2004 Nissan Murano. My mechanic checked it out, and it is in great shape, at half the original MSRP. Buying this vehicle is a logical choice, and I like the Murano.

But, my #1 choice, by far, is a brand new Toyota FJ Crusier. I can afford it, but I am having a hard time justifying the extra $10k on a vehicle that suffers poorer fuel efficiency and lacks interior refinement. But it looks cool and is fun to drive.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
USED! USED! USED! USED!

I bought a 1995 1/2 Tacoma in 2004 for $7500. Paid it off this year. It has 207,000 miles, but hey, it is a Taco...probably the most reliable vehicle ever built.

I have a reliable ride and no car payment. That is a nice combination.

The FJ will probably get on your nerves pretty quick. There is a blue one on a used lot nearby. It's been there for three months. Got to be a reason for that.

mylan

Screenwriter
I cannot remember where I read it but first year FJ's were not reliable at all, I second the Nissan.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Between the two, it's no contest for me either. The Murano. A year or two later the FJ will also be "used" and not worth all that much more. There's nothing like buying a new car. But I'd much rather pay for a good used one.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No contest. My vote is for the Murano, too. $10,000 is too high a premium to pay for cool looks, especially when you factor in the low mileage and lack of refinement. And, as Gene said, it won't be new for long. If you're financing, the Coolness Factor will wear off long before the FJ is paid for.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I tend to buy 1- 2 year old cars and let original owner cover the depreciation. Another vote for the Murano.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Buy used: the hard part is done, as you've found a good quality used car at a fair price.

I buy new since I don't want the added complexity and surplus options of sorting through used cars. But you've already thrashed through that so you should reap the benefits, get a good car and save some serious cash.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I don't know the Murano's mileage, but I would reccomend something used in the 30mpg or higher area.

BUT, that depreciation you avoid will buy a lot of gas.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Avoid the FJ if only becuase you can't see out of the damn thing especially to the rear quarters.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies.

You all pretty much echoed what I have been thinking. The Murano is too good of a deal to pass up. I drove it for several hours today. Great ride. Now I just have to plunk down some cash for an extended warranty.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If you are paying cash and are plently liquid, buying used is certainly attractive. But if you are going to have to get a loan, sometimes the difference in interest rates and payment periods for new vs used may make the actual price difference small or even negative. Plus there is something about driving a car from mile 0 (or 120, whatever the sales/factory guys put on it) in terms of knowing that it hasn't been ragged out or poorly maintained - those check out mechanics can't find everything. Also if you're borrowing on it, ask about what insurance coverage you'll need to satisfy the bank - some low APR loans require zero-deductible insurance, which can add up.

I'd get the FJ in a heartbeat, the Murano's styling is a real turn off for me, and I have always wanted one of the original 70s FJ40s.

Buzz's point is valid though - if gas prices continue rising, it will be harder and harder to sell a vehicle with poor mileage.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember correctly I believe the Morano is a much more comfortable vehicle. For me that would seal the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks