Buy my first DVD player or wait, situation is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_R_M, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

I would like to have a home theater setup within a year or so and currently I have none of the components that makeup a home theater (ie. dvd player, nice tv, receiver, speakers). I have a crappy 20" RCA tv and a vcr. Seeing as I just got my first good paying job, I figure I can afford all these components within a year or so (depending on permission from the "boss"). Do I bother getting a dvd player with a 20" tv or wait until I get a decent tv and sound system? Will dvd technology change much from now and then? I am thinking of getting the panny cp-72 if I decide to get a dvd player at all. Any opinions would be helpful.

2. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

It depends on where you want to end up. If you figure to acquire all of the components of a home theatre this year, then it probably doesn't matter which one you start with. The first question I would ask is how much do you expect to budget for this home theatre? Once you can answer that, it is easier to move forward. Do you plan on buying a digital TV? If so then you probably want to get a progressive scan dvd player with component cables. If you are going to purchase a digital receiver, then you will "need" 5 compatible, quality speakers and a sub-woofer (don't forget the optical cable to connect it to the DVD and speaker wire). I mention the cables and connections because they can be pretty expensive. A high quality surge protector to plug everything into is also a wise buy. You may want to wait until and save up for the fall 2003, after all of the new products are introduced, to pick everything up at once. Unfortunately, something "better" is always just around the corner.

Take it from me, think everything through before you start buying the components. I ended up buying 3 expensive DVD players to fit my needs between 1998-2002. All of them still work fine, I just should have been more informed before buying them. I bought an interlaced player first (1998), then a couple of years later I bought my digital TV and bought my first progressive player (2001). I then realized than in progressive mode, my TV locks in the picture to full screen, so I "needed" to buy a DVD player with aspect control (Panasonic RP-91K) for all of the non-animorphic discs I had been buying in 1998-1999. If I had planned for the digital TV and understood the limitations of the set that I bought, I could have at least cut out the 2nd player.

Anyway, nothing beats planning (and getting permission from the "Boss") upfront.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Kenwood HTB's (Home Theater in a Box) tend to be good starter systems. For about $600 you get a PS DVD changer, a budget-but-equipped receiver, 5 identical speakers and a external, self-powered sub.

This will get you going in the world of DVD movies fairly quickly.

The great part about this set is that you can either:

- Save money for a HDTV
    - Slowly replace parts (DVD/Receiver/Sub/Speakers)

So it gives you both options for a low starting price.

4. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

If I had the money now, this is what I would get and plan on spending...
    TV: Either Sony KV-34XBR800 or KV-36XBR800 = $2300-2400 retail
    RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-V630 = $380 retail
    SPEAKERS: Either Boston Acoustics System 9500 or Cambridge Soundworks MC200 or MC300.2 = $1200-1500 retail
    DVD: Panasonic CP-72 = $200 retail with rebate
    Total = around $6000
    However, I would like to do this in components (I don't really want to take the hit all at once), or wouldn't you recommend this? Do these TV's have the zoom function you were missing on your DVD player? Anyone have any suggestions with this setup? I can't go any bigger for the TV...I am not allowed [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're just getting started and are scared off by high prices, forgive the previous posters. HTF members tend to be very "pie in the sky" when it comes to this kind of stuff. Since I read in your post that you've currently got a 20" TV with a VCR and just got your first good paying job I won't do anything like recommend multi-thousand dollar systems.
    Don't wait. Buy a DVD player - a cheap but good one. I recommend paying about $200 for a good branded player. You can't go wrong with a player from one of the big companies. Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC, you will not go wrong with a player from one of these manufacturers. And you'll have a good start in your Home Theater. Don't bother looking around for "Progressive Scan". You can't use that feature on anything but HD compatible sets (which are $1500+).
    In the long run the software's the expensive and important part of the hobby. You can not start collecting software until you have something to play them on. VHS is wasted money. DVD is starting a library.
    Keep your eye out on the Kenwood Home Theater In A Box products. They are value leaders. Also Fluance speakers (read avout them here) and low cost receivers.