Buy Marantz 7200 now or wait for NAD T762's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherT, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

I have an opportunity to purchase a Marantz SR7200 at a very good price. I am not familiar with this product, nor I am I all that knowledgeable about A/V Receivers in general. I have done a search on this and two other forums. I have read mixed reviews on the Marantz. I do understand that this sort of thing is a bit subjective.
    My dilemma is that I really want to purchase the new NAD T762. I have recently learned that the T762 will be release mid October. I am not sure I want to wait that long.
    I would really like some opinions on the Marantz SR7200 versus NAD T762.
    I will be using the receiver mostly for Home Theater. I have an older Sony (STR-AV1070X) for home audio distribution. I have the following set-up...
    - B&W 602 S3 Front L/R
    - B&W LCR60 S3 Center
    - B&W CDS6 Rear L/R
    - Velodyne CHT12 Sub
    Your comments would be appreciated.
    Cheers [​IMG]

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard either one, so I cant comment directly on their performance. However, I like NAD better as a company. All of their stuff is always high quality, and reliable. Marantz has released some fairly shady products recently.

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

NAD and Marantz both have had their QA issues.

The T762 is a THX Ultra receiver a bit higher up than the 7200. I've also heard the T762 won't be out 'til next year.

Up to you, both are nice. I would go with NAD simply because it is the better unit.

T.

4. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

Hi Christopher,

I have auditioned Denon and Marantz before I decided on buying the SR7200. I haven't heard NAD but what I can tell you is that the SR7200, when it was launched, had problems. But it's all fixed now. So aside from that...

I love my SR7200! It really sounds great especially for music. For music, it has a Source Direct mode which allows you to hear the purest recording since it bypasses other electronics like tone control, bass management, etc.

It is also a great match with B&W speakers since B&W are very picky speakers. For movies, you'll be amazed at how the SR7200 can deliver clear, intelligible, impactful sound.

I have B&W DM601 S3 fronts and surrounds, B&W LCR60 S3 center, and a B&W ASW 300 sub.

When I started out, I used my system for 80% home theater and 20% music. But now, after I upgraded my Pioneer to a Marantz, it's 80% music and 20% home theater.

BUT, I also know that the Marantz 7300, which has even more features, will be released by this September. So if I were you, I'll wait for that, and I'll audition both the 7300 against the NAD T762.

5. Myki Cantero

6. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Hey Christopher,

Ready for a couple of coincidences? I also wondered how good the Marantz was up until a week ago. I also took Myki's advice. I also have B&W dm602s3's up front. I also have a pair of dm602s3's for the rears and the LCR60s3 Center. Bringing up the low end is the SVS 20-39PCi. All I can say is that I am glad I went with the Marantz. I have had no problems with it and the sound is magnificent. The QC concerns have all been dealt with so no worry there. To me the NAD is out of my price range. At three times the price it is not something that was up my alley.

Chris

7. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

Tony Lai,

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new NAD's. Funny that Marantz is coming out with new units also. We'll see how they all compare. I suspect the NAD's will be free of digital cut-offs, that is, if the new receivers work as the old NAD T751 and T761 did. Also, the NAD's are THX which means, at the very least, an 80 hz crossover. Can't wait to hear the NAD's [​IMG]

9. Myki Cantero

ChristopherT,
    Here's a link of the thread in this forum:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=sr7300
    If that doesn't work somehow, just make a search for "SR7300". The thread mentioned something about a PDF file or brochure for the new series but I didn't bother to ask for it since I just bought my SR7200 and I didn't want to feel bad. :)
    Chris Lanni,
    Have you tried Source Direct Mode with your SR7200 when listening to music, especially female vocals? And are your speakers new? Because my speakers sounded better after 2 weeks of heavy use.

10. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Myki,

I have not tried the Source Direct Mode. What exactly is supposed to be different about it. My speakers are brand new. They are 6 days old and only have about 12 hours on them. Should you only use Source Direct for music or for movies also.

Chris

11. Myki Cantero

Chris,

Signal from your CD/DVD player enters your receiver, and then it goes through a series of electronics for tone controls like bass, treble, loudness (marantz does not have this), bass management, etc. After this, the signal goes to the amplifier and then to the speakers.

With source direct mode, you bypass the electronics above. So from the player, the signal goes direct to the amplifier and then to the speakers. The volume knob controls the power to the amplifier.

So, the signal that you get is very clear and very tight. Unadulterated. I only turn it on when I listen to Music, because for movies, you really need the Dolby Digital or DTS decoders, etc.

Listen to music, and while you're listening, switch Source Direct mode ON and then OFF so you can compare. BTW, since Bass Management is also bypassed, your sub won't be used in this SD mode. So if you will listen to Rap, just switch it OFF, but if you will listen to Jazz, Vocals, Acoustic, etc., then switch it ON. Your choice.

When burning-in my speakers, I set all my speakers to LARGE so it will get a good workout. :)

12. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Thanks Myki, I will try that out the next time I put a cd in. What did you end up using as your reference level when you set up your speakers? How many decibels higher did you set your sub? Did you use Avia, or just your ears? I ordered Avia and hope it will improve the overall imaging.

Chris

13. Myki Cantero

I use Avia. But when I'm in a hurry, I just use the internal test tones. I set all my speakers to 72db, and the sub to 82db. This somehow approximates the subwoofer level as compared to Avia's own test tones.
    Avia will help in balancing and testing your speakers, but imaging, at least for music, is a more complicated task because you would have to tackle proper speaker positioning, toe-in, etc. I'm still looking for a test CD for this and I might get Chesky Records Test Disc. www.chesky.com
    However, I strongly recommend using Avia to adjust the TV. (color, brightness, saturation, etc.) Especially if you have a Sony since Sony's default is too reddish. This is the best calibration in the Avia disc.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Are the newer Marantz coming out before the newer NAD's? Thats two years in a row!

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have to say that B&W sounds excellent with NAD gear.

However it came down to one friend's system that originally convinced me to go with Marantz, he has an older SR7000 with CDM-1NTs and it sounded wonderful.

I'm actually pretty happy with my 6200 right now, at just under a year so far, so I don't feel I am ready to upgrade yet. However, I am very interested to see what the 7300 and 8300 really have, and also what the new NAD gear sounds like.

16. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

Here are some of the NAD T762 particulars...
    - 6x100w continuous into 8 or 4 ohms
    - All channels drive simultaneously
    - 7.1 Surround EX decoder
    - DD, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6, Matrix 7.1, PL II
    - Soft Clipping
    - 6 video inputs all c/w S-video and composite
    - Component video on 3 inputs & 1 output
    - 6 digital inputs, 4 coax, 2 TOS link
    - 2 digital outputs, 1 coax, 1 TOS link
    - 7.1 analogue input (DVD-A)
    - Speaker A/B switching
    - Multisource 2nd zone A/V preout with independent source and volume
    - 3x12v output triggers
    - 1x12v input
    - Preamp outputs for all channels (2 subwoofers)
    - Illuminated Learning remote
    - RDS FM/AM tuner with 30 direct access presets.