Buy great cables or save money for Paradigm upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have Studio 60s V.1 as my mains and I didn't think much about upgrading since my room is not necessarily big but the speaker cables I'm looking at have got me thinking about using the money towards getting Studio 100s instead. Will the 100s be an "upgrade"? I'm thinking I probably won't be able to make much use of it and buying better cables might give me a better sound. But then 100s are supposedly better speakers right?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

assuming your cables are of adequate gauge and all that, there is no reason to think that another cable, regardless of brand, would impart a different sonic quality to your existing system. they just can't do that Howard. they're not tone controls. the 100's are a fine speaker but whether they'll overly dominate your room remains to be seen (and heard). i can understand your desire to go with paradigm with you being in canada and all. other thoughts, which may be considered are speaker positioning considerations, room treatments, an equalizer, and of course trying other speakers besides Paradigm. tossing your money towards cables won't achieve what it is you believe you're lacking.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I would think you could have more of an improvement by changing to a different brand, as opposed to moving to the 100's. The cables would be a good option too.

4. HankM

HankM Second Unit

What brand of cables are you using?

5. Howard_S

Changing brand is not an option since I just bought my Studio ADPs and Servo 15. It would cost way too much to upgrade everything.

I am currently using generic 12g but I plan to upgrade that. The question is how much to spend on the upgrade. I fear that the 100s will dominate my room as well. But do they sound better? The higher end Studios tend to need some volume in my experience.

6. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

I'd go for the speakers. You might get a 0.5% improvement with the cable change, but I believe that the studio 100 would be a much bigger improvement. I readed a review of those on sterophile that was impressive.

7. Howard_S

I know that the 100s are impressive speakers. But as I said I do find that the speakers need ample volume in order to sound their best and I'm not sure I'm in a big enough room to require that kind of volume. But if the 100s sound better at every volume level then it would probably be a better option then.

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Howard, I agree with the option of exploring other brands of speakers out there. It's widely thought that the 40's are the gem of the studio line, and you're already past there. If you're looking for an improvement, try another line. Dynaudio perhaps? (there was a big Dyn thread before the holidays in here). There are so many more options. Perhaps you're just tired of the Paradigm sound.

Wire is wire IMHO.

Good luck!

9. Howard_S

I'm not tired of the Paradigm sound. I don't think so. I think they are a great value and I'll be hardpress to find something better sounding for the same type of money. Afterall it would ruin my HT if I change brands now. Anyways I'm fully happy with my Studio 60s. But since I am tempted in buying the more highend cables it got me thinking of a speaker upgrade that's all. Since you guys don't think it's much of an improvement if I upgrade the speakers perhaps I should spring for the cables then?

10. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Well, my vote is, silver coated or solid silver speaker cables. If you really want to make a LARGE difference with cables, we need to change the material. Basically, 12 gauge OFC copper can only do so much. But you can open up the soundstage a bit more with silver, make the highs more transparent, and sometimes increase bass response by tightening the bass, as well-

I am using silver coated cables right now, with great results.

Lex

11. Mark Austin

I would agree that Doug is onto something, but my concern would be the silver with the Paradigm's. That can get awfully sibilant, seeing as how the Paradigm's are on the bright side anyway.

The 100's are not going to offer you a different sound only a little fuller than what you already have. The whole Studio line is voice matched. So upgrading to the 100's would be a waste, IMO. Plus if room is a consideration like mentioned above, it makes the 100's choice less attractive.

12. Howard_S

That's exactly why I have never thought about an upgrade to the 100s until now when I saw how expensive the cables I am looking at are. So you guys think I should spend the money on cables or I shouldn't overspend on them? I have no idea how much is too much.

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"I am using silver coated cables right now, with great results."
    Ohhhhhh, you are, are ya.... interesting, veeeeeery interesting.. [​IMG]

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

how does silver do what you claim dougW?

15. Mark Austin

I would think the biggest difference you will realize is going to be in music listening. Whether it be cables, or different speakers. Yes, I think if you went with a whole new steup of speakers it would be the most dramtic, but you have stated that isn't in the cards. So, I would determine how important music is to you, in the overall scheme of things. If it is important, I wouldn't shy away from just changing your mains for now to something better than the Paradigm's. If it isn't that important then I would ask how much you are looking to spend on the cables? I don't know what your source components are, but I Would suggest if you're mainly into movies that $400 would be the max I would spend for the mains in cabling, and that is just MO. You would/could notice a bit of difference well below that price point over what you are using now. Heck, even jsut re-wiring your front three speakers with some mid-grade stuff -$250 would give you a solid improvement.

16. Mark Austin

Chu,

Even if he told you, you wouldn't believe it. So why ask in the first place?

17. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

howard, if you like to improve the sound of your setup, i suggest that you consider the equipment you are using to power them. in my opinion, this will be a bigger improvement than cables.

18. Mark Austin

That's a good point Ariel, but at the likely price point to improve his source equipment, he could probably attain better speakers for less.

19. Howard_S

Well the whole upgrade bug started when I bought the 49tx. I figure that I owe it to myself to look into getting better speaker cables and interconnects. But some of the stuff I'm looking at right now isn't exactly high end price but it's expensive nonetheless. I'm considering paying $750US pair of speaker cables and $300US pairs. I am looking at hooking up the mains and center speaker with new cables as well as buying new analog interconnect and a digital cable. That package will cost me a little less than $2000CDN for the more expensive option or around $1200CDN on the less expensive option. I don't care much about silver vs copper. Just whatever is best for my money.

20. Mark Austin

I prefer silver, but at the same time I don't care for the Paradigm tweeter, so I'm not sure how silver will serve you. There are plenty of good quality copper cables that should suit your needs. Which brand are you considering?