buy dvd recorder or wait for hd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bruce townley, Dec 11, 2002.

1. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at buying the Panny 30 DMRE Dvd Recorder at about $550. In researching, I see that Panny and toshiba also have recorders with 40gb and 80gb respectively. My question for those of you who have recorders, is the Hard Drive worth It? An increase in price of $300-$400. I record off tv maybe twice a year. I do not have cable or sat. Primarily would be used to record (preserve) home movies, and perhaps a few old VHS tapes.

Thanks for the help

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I would love to transfer Indy, Star Wars and others...but not being able to record in 5.1 leaves the record alternative out for me. I'll stick with my LD player for now.

Ron

3. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I have the DRM-E30 and highly recommend it..... I have no need for the HD model being I use my 35 Hour Tivo for storage...... I bought this recorder for TV shows only...... By the way, check out 6th Ave. Electronics...... you can do better on the price.....

HD DVD is 3-5 years away according to Fox Studios.....

4. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Watch out on both HD models and ANY panasonic recorders. They both have the black level problem that is plaguing some DVD recorders. I returned mine because of it.

5. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

Uh-oh. Did not know about the black level problem until I just did the research. Steven, have you noticed this on your recorder??

6. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I have read the Panny Pro DMR-T3040 DVD-Recorder with a hard drive might not have the black level problem. There is a thread on the avsforum.

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    The blacks look black to me on my recordings.....