Buy DVD-A or SCAD now or wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Aug 26, 2001.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I want to get into DVD-Audio or SCAD. Is it too soon? I hear there is a format war on now. Bass management and the lack of digital output an issue? What the best bang for buck players now?
    So many questions, so little answers.

2. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Many Answers;
    Classic early adopter situation here-
    Many of us have already bought into these formats (war or no war).
    As always there will be fence sitters (no offense-just like the DVD/Divx thang).
    I bought a DVD player when they were first available also.
    There are now inexpensive DVDA and SACD players available, so even if there a problems down the road its no great loss. on our part.
    I believe both formats can peacefully coexist, hopefully they will.
    As for hardware-The Panasonic RP91 is a great deal,because not only do you get a great DVD player-it also does DVDA for well under $400 online.
    As for SACD-The Sony CE 775 is also inexpensive, and is a 5 disc CD player to boot.
    If it meant gambling thousnds of dollars on each player then I can understand hesitation, but there are inexpensive alternatives available so why not enjoy the great sound and format now, and buy the expensive equipment later if you want.
    As for bass management I don't have any problems with my system,but i'm not using a sub as my mains handle the low end fine.
    If people have an all small satelite system then I would buy a player locally, and return it if they were unsatisfied with the bass situation. They may be pleasantl surprised.
    I always like to purchase and evaluate for myself, and return if unsatisfied. After reading other opinions on the Net.
    As for my Pany 91 and Sony 775-They will both be staying right here-NO returning these babies!
    I also have 3 more DVDA software titles arriving monday, and 3 SACD titles also on the way-Can't Wait for more Remastered software.
    Lastly (I know I know).
    Apex is supposed to release a combi (SACD/DVDA) soon if you must have a all in one package-there may be quality issues there, but as you can see like all new formats there are a pretty wide range of products available now.
    Come on in-The waters fine!!!!
    CC
    ------------------

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Like Chris says with the price being reasonable on dvd-a or sacd players it doesn't matter which format wins. I have the panasonic RP91 and the the DVD-A is very nice sounding indeed. I would say if you were in the market for a new dvd player then the prices are reasonable enough thet you try one these formats.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm on the other side of the fence. i keep thinknig "beta or vhs?".
    i'm in no real hurry to adopt either format. i also don't feel that there are enough releases yet. the last time i went to tower i saw a really small display with maybe 50 titles?
    i do like chris' idea about picking one up and returning it if you're not satisified. the only issue with that is you'll (probably) have about 30 days to return it...i doubt this format war will be resolved in the next month!
    so, for me personally, i'm gonna wait until the dust settles.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As others have said, one can now buy into both formats with only a modest investment. A year ago, we were talking about spending $800+ for the Technics DVD-A10 to get DVD-Audio and $2500+ for the Sony SCD-777ES to get SACD, and that didn't get you multi-channel SACD (it didn't exist). Now, $300 gets you a progressive scan DVD-Audio player such as the Panasonic DVD-RP61 or one of the new JVC players, and $300-350 gets you the Sony SCD-CE775 multi-channel SACD/CD changer. Alternatively, you could spend around $575 to get the soon-to-be-available Sony SCD-C222ES multi-channel SACD/CD changer for (anticipated) better audio than the 'CE775. So, for under $900 total, you would have progressive scan DVD and DVD-Audio with the 'RP91 and excellent multi-channel and stereo SACD and CD playback with the 'C222ES. Why wait?
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

7. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

As for software-It sure seems like there's a lack of titles,but once again this is two brand new formats,and it's gonna take time for titles to get here.
    I believe there are some 350 titles available on SACD,and DVDA so far.
    Elusive Disc is an good online dealer for SACD, and DVD Planet carries many DVDA's.
    One thing to consider here is DVD video is keeping the production facilities running 24/7, and since these are variations of DVD tech I assume they have to get IN LINE with DVD video to get their products mass produced.
    I believe there has been some copywrite issues that are also slowing the releases,but remember all these titles have to first go back to a Remastering facility to be converted to the the new formats,and this takes a lot of time also.
    I can't wait to hear some Hendrix/Stones/Beatles/Floyd in either format=Bring it On!!!!!
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------

8. Maza

Maza Auditioning

How do you connect both players (DVD-A and 5.1 SACD)? do you have two receivers to use the 5.1 inputs. Are we going to need receivers with two 5.1 eventually if we want both formats? Do receivers do analog pass through through 5.1 inputs (in general, no only high end)?
    I know, to many questions, but these have been going through my head.
    Thanks for any input.
    Maza

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Maza, as long as DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD players require connection through the 5.1-channel outputs, you will need a pre-amp or receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs to accommodate both. Alternatively and less desirable, you will have to switch cables between components if your pre-amp or receiver has only one set of multi-channel inputs. Denon's AVR-5800 at $2800-3800 has two sets of multi-channel inputs. Fortunately, some receivers coming out now for a lot less than the '5800 will offer two sets of multi-channel inputs. For example, Sony's forthcoming STR-DA3ES ($1000 retail) and 'DA5ES ($1500) will have one set of 5.1-channel inputs and one set of 7.1-channel inputs (the 7.1 set can be used for a 5.1 source).
    Most pre-amps and receivers with multi-channel inputs apply an analog bypass mode to them by default so as to prevent signals from being processed through internal A/D and D/A converters.
    EDIT: Maza, one more thing. If your pre-amp or receiver has only one set of multi-channel inputs, you can split the inputs with Y-adapters to connect two sources instead of having to switch cables back and forth. Currently, I have a DVD-Audio player connected to the only set of 5.1-channel inputs available on my Sony STR-V444ES receiver. However, I will probably buy Y-adapters if I get a multi-channel SACD player. Y-adapters are available in various grades. A basic Y-adapter at Radio Shack will only run you a few bucks. Radio Shack's Gold Series version will run a bit more, and the Moster Cables version runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-20 for one cable.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 27, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

10. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I would wait a little longer but the latest news seems to suggest that SACD has the upper hand right now in this format war. UMG (Universal Music Group), one of the largest labels in the world has just announced that they have selected SACD as the preferred format. This means more re-releases of classic CD's on SACD and assuming sells of SACD takes off, new albums will be release on SACD as well.

11. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Definitely, give it some time...IMO.
    Flexible bass management in the unit itself or a digital connection standard so the receiver or pre/pro can take over these duties...The whole idea of SACD and DVD-A is incredibly high resoulution. With this idea in mind, some have gone so far as to suggest FULL range speakers all the way around. Satellite speakers won't give you the full benefit of this format, so somehow we must get a grasp on how to route that imortant low-end information to the subwoofer. This, of course, only for those of us who can't afford full range all the way around or don't have the room for a 48" center channel.
    Second, the software situation. I've been to Borders and Barnes and Noble. They don't have anything worth a bean right now. Who needs a high resolution copy of Toto? There's plenty of Billy Joel and Smirnafchzky (whoever the classical artist of the month is). Not to be a smart-ass, I enjoy Billy Joel and classical once in a while...but not to the extent that I'm going to spend $10 more than a regular CD costs on them. Give it a little time. At least for early adopters of DVD, the digital connections and Dolby Digital were available. With SACD and DVD-A, even a standard connection hasn't become available (other than analog pass-through, minus Bass Management).
    Just my $.02
    BTW, If I was in the market for a new DVD player and it wasn't a question of sacrificing video quality for the added feature, I would buy a DVD-A or SACD machine.
    Jeremy.

12. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Good point. If I'm looking for a good progressive DVD player it will probably have DVD-A built in anyway. DVD-A may win the war because of this fact...more hardware=more potential consumers looking for DVD-A discs. SCAD may become a niche product like laserdisc was. I think what might really happen in the end is that you will see players with digital output that play both SCAD and DVD-A. Although, the Sony 9000ES plays both SCAD and DVD progressive so who knows.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, Sony has three relatively inexpensive DVD players coming out that will play multi-channel and stereo SACDs. Note that the DVP-S9000ES only plays stereo SACDs. Sony will be offering the DVP-NS500V will be an interlaced single-disc player that will sell for around $300. Another interlaced player will be the DVP-NC650V five-disc DVD changer for about $400. Finally, Sony will be offering the DVP-NS900V progressive scan single-disc player for around $1000. In addition, Apex will offer an SACD/DVD-Audio player for around $300 in the next few months, however, I expect it to process SACDs through a PCM DAC, which isn't the way to do it. In any event, we will have a good selection of SACD-capable DVD players shortly. Considering that SACD offers around 400 titles currently, as opposed to under 100 for DVD-Audio, I wouldn't predict SACD to be the niche format of the two. Also note that Universal Music Group issued a press release recently showing commitment to SACD. Of course, relative to the CD, both SACD and DVD-Audio could be niche formats.
    ------------------
    My: