1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Buy.com will not give total without CC info, legal??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Vince Maskeeper, May 17, 2005.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I tried to order an item from Buy.com today, and noticed they did not include the shipping amount. No problem, figured once I filled in my address I could get the final total.

However, they do not give you the final total until you have already entered your shipping info AND credit card number.

Is this legal? I would assume they would have to tell you the actual price they're billing you before I'm required to hand over my CC number.

?

-V

PS: I just noticed amazon.com does the same. Ugh. Absolute bullshit, if you ask me. And with Amazon it's actually worse, as they have 10 different resllers offering the same item within $5 of each other, with no info on shipping. So, you have to basically place the order with each one, and then (after giving your CC info) cancel the order to determine who actually has the best price.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    but cant you enter your credit card and not place an order? it wont help you much when shopping around for better shipping/prices, but at least you'll know what you are paying before you buy. i agree, that is a bs business practice.

CJ

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I guess they collect CC info and sell marketing data to certain PITA companies. Hey I get more junk mail but it keeps costs down at Amazon so I can live with it. [​IMG]

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Vince, have you used pricegrabber.com? You can get comparisons for a bunch of sites with shipping costs included, all you have to enter is your zip code. Although I don't think they include Amazon.

Edit: I see you were referring to the re-sellers on Amazon in particular, with no info on shipping costs unless you enter your credit card.

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I don't really think it's any great conspiracy, I think they just verify the billing address and shipping address are the same before they approve the order.

At Buy.com you can just say you're paying via Paypal. It won't ask for any additional info but will display the shipping charge. Or, just see their published shipping rates: http://www.buy.com/corp/support/ship....asp?what=much

I don't know about the legality but I agree it's definitly annoying. I love sites that have an option to "enter your zip code to find out shipping charges", all without having to create a profile or enter payment info.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Doesn't Amazon have blanket pricing for the shipping costs of resellers? It should be linked from any of the third party listings pages.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer