What's new

buy.com go down the same road as reel & express, who's next? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Too bad for all those who missed that great gravy train 2 years ago. My closet is brimming with DVD's!!
Of course, those DVD's now turn out to look like crap and are re-released in "Special deluxe" editions, so you'll need to buy them over again!
wink.gif

/Mike

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
If my recent exprience with Buy.com is typical, no wonder they are having problems. I tried to order a printer and the transaction wouldn't take. I would get to the end of the order and it would kick me right back to my full in basket.
I didn't get too up set until I realized that buy.com does not provide any information on how to contact them. No phone number or email address. Seems like the server was the only one not laid off.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I recently ordered Unbreakable from Buy.com for $17.99/free shipping on the Sunday before release. I received it on Tuesday (release day). I would call that good service & good timing.
I don't order from them much anymore, so if they go out of business, I'll hardly notice. I know a few people who have had many problems with them. I may just be lucky with my track record with them.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Hmm......I have one dvd (Star Wars Episode I) ordered from Buy.com....you guys think I should cancel it?
-Tom

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You may not be able to cancel it, Tom. Buy.com is notorious for not honoring cancellation requests.
Based on my recent experience, it seems that preorders placed substantially in advance of street date are one area that Buy.com can still handle adequately. Current orders are risky, because their website is never up to date on what is and isn't in stock.
Your one risk with a preorder is that they go out of business before filling it. But with a big title like Phantom Menace, you'd have plenty of other options to acquire a copy.
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've discovered that I need to amend the previous post.
Buy.com's website explicitly says that a pre-order can't be canceled. So once you've placed it, forget about trying to cancel it if a better price becomes available or buy.com fails to ship in a timely manner.
Here's the exact wording:
quote: Please note that preordered games, videos, DVDs and books enter the shipping process when the order is created. This happens prior to release date in order to ensure timely delivery. As a result, preordered games, videos, DVDs and books cannot be cancelled.[/quote]Link Removed
Despite this language, the website is set up so that you appear to have the option to cancel a preorder, but the request to cancel will not be honored.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on July 17, 2001 at 04:40 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks