What's new

buy.com go down the same road as reel & express, who's next? (1 Viewer)

Sarah S

Second Unit
I hate to sound like a commercial, but I've found the best prices on some dvds were through Columbia House...If I'm fairly patient, I can get 5 dvdss shipped to me for $17.95; & they can be expensive ones to like Clerks: Uncensored or Phantom of the Opera. You do have to buy at least 2 more at $19.95 and shipping isn't that great; but if you're looking to lower your average or just starting your collection; CH can be relatively inexpensive.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've never had problems with buy.com and I would hate to see something happen to them. Every order I've made was shipped promptly. Personally, I always go to them or Best Buy when I need to buy Criterion Collection or limited edition DVD's. I got the Third Man and Brazil Criterion Collections for 30 and 45 respectively from Best Buy (and some of the whipsers I've heard say they never stock rare DVD's :) ) I just recently bought the Seven Samurai Criterion Collection and Bridge on the River Kwai limited edition both for 30 off ofwww.buy.com. With all this bad news with them recently, I hope nothing terrible happens, and that I continue to get the same great service I've always had from them.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Seth, I agree fully with your view. However, I would like to add that ordering on the web is also still a good option. I have been a customer of Laser's Edge for about 5 years. I pre-order most titles. Laser's Edge offers fair prices and flawless service. Not a single error and 99% on time delivery. I have ordered more than 1600 DVDs from them and many laserdiscs before DVD. They also have an excellent and well maintained website.http://www.lasersedge.com

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
with ridiculous cross-town postage, state sales tax of almost 9%, and vaporizing discounts, I rarely use AMAZON...but imagine my horror when I looked up a couple of catalog items on DVD, and found ....that they were FULL price! (Free shipping if you buy 2 items)
Their explanation? "We want your shopping to be simpler!"ª-no more messy postage math...
laugh.gif

------------------

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
DVD Empire has been really solid for me since 1998. Still great response via email (have yet to call them) and excellent shipping. Using Priority mail I even get it day before movie is officially released.
Great stuff. Great online ordering system too. Very easy.
------------------

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
While I never really used Buy.com for buying DVD's, I have bought a bunch of computer hardware from them. I never had a problem with their service. Anyway, I just heard that Tower Records has filed for bankruptcy, so it looks like even though the online stores may no be raking in money, they are hurting the brick and mortar stores.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Tower is hurting mostly because of high CD prices. The record companies have hiked them as high as possible, and in order to support their large selection, Tower is forced to charge SRP.This of course kills them in an age when little Johnnie wants his NSYNC which can be had at Best Buy for half that price. Half the people that came in(during the online glory days) would just browse Tower, and order online. That and gross mismanagement on the regional levels (Unless they paid for it, no cardboard displays on the floor! What? You're being creative with your wall displays, creating these nice 3-D foamcore things that people actually want to buy of the store? WRONG! I'll send you a guide to put together cookie-cutter crap instead of good stuff!)is what has brought them down
Jeff Kleist

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to hear about buy.com. I've ordered a lot of computer stuff and a few CDs from them. I didn't know they were heading for trouble. Heck, I didn't know they were a public traded company, last I heard they were privately owned. Now I find out they're being delisted.
I order all my DVDs from DVD Empire so I'm not worried about any preorders with buy.com. I think I'll continue to shop at buy.com but I'll keep in mind that they may fold at any time, so I'll limit it to small items that I don't need in a hurry.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
I usually on top of this type of stuff, what's your source about the Tower bankruptsy filing?
Daniel L

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I'll agree with Jeff in that Tower is the worst when it comes to CD's. Considering I could just go to my beloved local used music store (where even brand new CD's are significantly lower the MSRP) Rasputin's--or venture out to Berkeley to the giant that is Amoeba Records--I wonder why people don't just go somewhere else. Their DVD prices are actually pretty good though. And their magazine selection is huge.
But I still do all of my DVD online shopping through DVD Empire. Great prices, wonderful customer service, real-time stock and excellent delivery...plus their Adult DVD Empire section ain't too bad either!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,
I found you source for the news, but be very careful when you quote an article. Read the whole article, you don't want to get the forum into trouble for spreading false information.
Link Removed
Daniel L

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On the plus side, Buy.com does seem to be fulfilling their existing preorders. I just received the Dogma special edition, which I ordered 4-5 months ago.
M.

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel, that's not where I heard about Tower Records. I heard a blurb about them on one of the 24h news channels (CNN or MSNBC I think.)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, the selection is great, they're just really going to need to wake up and smell the coffee. And for Tower to do that, the RIAA is going to need to do the same.
Frankly, I forsee a new system of record distribution in the future, one where there is a kiosk in a record store, and bands can put samples of their songs on there. You can buy a song for $2.50, 2 songs for $4.50, or the album for $10 flat. The kiosk will d/l the information and burn the disk and print out the cover art for you right there on the spot in a minute or so, and you grab a jewel case from the bottom.
Maybe not too practical, given the bandwidth you'd need, but cool anyway :)
Jeff Kleist

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Could someone provide some details on the latest buy.com troubles? I haven't read the latest news?
thanx.
------------------
Johnny

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Could someone provide some details on the latest buy.com troubles?
AFAIK, there isn't anything recent other than what's set forth in the first message of this thread.
Like many etailers, Buy.com has experienced massive losses. Because the stockmarket has no more tolerance for etailers that lose money, it is now under enormous pressure to show profits. As a result, the company announced layoffs, sold off a division or two, and cut back on their steep discounts. All this happened months ago.
M.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
quote: The record companies have hiked them as high as possible, and in order to support their large selection, Tower is forced to charge SRP.[/quote]Is this really the case? Manifest Music, the local independent record chain, has a much better selection of both major label and indie stuff, as well as significantly lower prices ($3-$5 a disc). I assumed that Tower was charging so much due in large part to its typically pricey locations.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks