What's new

buy.com go down the same road as reel & express, who's next? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Yes, their share price listing was removed today when it reached an unhealthy 27c so how long before big discounts are gone forever?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I use to buy alot from them too
frown.gif
Looks like before long it will be wal mart thats left?
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I used to buy a ton of stuff from BUY.com and REEL.com but since the bargains disappeared and the B&M's started competing its been goodbye PRE-ORDERS.
I still shop at Amazon but mainly for cds.
I now wait til the street date and go to the B&M with the best price...either COSTCO or BESTBUY lately.
Too bad for all those who missed that great gravy train 2 years ago. My closet is brimming with DVD's!!

GregBarron

Agent
This is really bad....with less and less competition out there prices will go up. Pretty soon 20% off is going to be a great find.
I had nothing but great experiences with Buy.com....
I can still remember back in the day when there was a wealth of coupons and 40% preorders was just a given. All the different stores trying to win over the customer base.
(heavy sigh)
Greg

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
The deals at Buy.com dried up a while back. Deep Discount DVD still has plenty, though, as does 800.com and even DVD Empire has a special occasionally. Let's not forget DVD Planet - they have an across-the-board 25% discount, and reasonable shipping.
As for Amazon, I'd be farther ahead buying from a brick&mortar, their prices are so high.
BTW the 3-for-$1 deal was offered by 800.com back in the fall of 1999. That's how I came into possession of Con Air, Air Force One, and Top Gun. :)
RD
------------------

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
DVD Empire still has a fair amount of 30% off pre-orders, and even a few at 35% off (but the latter may be on their way out). B&Ms are the way to go for high-profile titles, but online pre-ordering is still the best way to get cheaper prices for most catalog titles and obscure items.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 38 to go!

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I have ordered about 20 dvd's so far from DeepDiscount and have not had one problem. I highly recommend them. Be advised that the free shipping that comes with it means the Post Office will get around to delivering your stuff after the floors are mopped,trash taken out etc. If I "gotta have it now" I spend a bit more for the shipping upgrade, otherwise its a perfect site for those movies you don't mind waiting for. I got ToraToraTora for $16.46 shipped from them. Not bad.

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
I guess this explains why they haven't shipped Paths of Glory, which I ordered about a month ago for $9.99.
------------------
"If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
I used to buy DVDs at buy.com but COSTCO is as cheap as anyone now and I can get it on release day.
However, I buy a ton of computer hardware from them. I always got the stuff right away and all returns we handled promptly.
Heck they even shipped me a replacement hard drive with an return UPS label to send back the defective one.
------------------

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
www.northamericandvd.com are the most reliable & cheapest place I know of giving AT LEAST 30% off, reaching 40% on certain $30 list titles. They don't stock non Canadian releases though, such as Criterion & Image.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
They were also part of that "screw profit, we want hits so we can sell ad space" philosophy. Hardly surprising that they died under this business structure.
I know you all love getting things cheap, but you have to keep in mind why you were able to get DVDs BELOW COST much of the time, and that's cause these places thought they were going to get income from their web hits.
Just like a Best Buy B&M store looks to get extra business with loss leaders, but couldn't survive if people only bought the loss leaders and then left the store.
Of course pre-order discounts will continue to exist because these stores want to get as many people pre-ordered as they can (of total sales they will make) to cut down any over-stocking they might do (which also hurts profits).
I gave up on looking for great deals and have fallen back on fair deals but getting DVDs in person from a dealer that has them all in-stock in the store, which is why I make my weekly trips to Indy's own Lasers Edge (yes, HTF's new sponser, yay!). I know many of you are just looking for the best deal, and that's understandable, but if you do have a B&M specialty store in town like a LE or Daves in LA, I would suggest that the sheer joy of being in a place that understands you helps compensate for only getting 8 discs instead of 9 for the same money.
Hell, my biggest reason for completely giving up on Best Buy was that the B&Ms didn't have half the new stuff. And not obscure stuff, but things like the Woody Allens on release day. That got to be unacceptable and I was still having to drive up to LE to pick up what BB didn't have. Finally I said "Screw BB, they don't deserve any of my money, even for a deal, because they don't try to serve my real customer needs."
Anyway, I appreciate why people with limited funds need to think deals above all else. I just think customer service is worth something sometimes too if you can afford it. :)

John Agent

Auditioning
Re Prices in general - I'll always prefer fair trade over "free trade".
Somtimes I'm amazed that I can get a DVD Movie for less than a CD when I consider what went into making the movie vs what it cost to record a music album. Or compare that DVD cost with a good hardcover book.
Sure there are economies of scale, and considerations of price-volume relationships, but I consider the DVD's I have to be tremendous value.
As for cheap cheap prices, when something goes wrong with my order, sorting it out with robo-clerk can be painful...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, I used to use them, but they were somewhat clueless-read: too big to know whats what...consider supporting CDNOW-they still offer 30% off across the board preorders, and every so often have coupons which can increase the discount to 40-45% ! Since Bertlesman took them over and infused them with cash-they seem on the road to gaining market share, seem to be fairly knowledgable, are prompt, and easy to deal with. And they charge decent postage...
you can use them for all your VHS and CD needs also...even the odd Laserdisc is listed...
------------------

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
After waiting for nearly a week past street date to receive my copy of Close Encounters from Buy.com I attempted to contact them only to find out that they had removed their 800 number a couple months back.
No 800 number = no more orders from this DVD addict. I want to know that if I'm dropping $200-$500 per month on DVD purchases, that I will be able to call a number, and talk to a real person!
Since then I cancelled my few remaining orders, and have taken up with DVD Planet as my source.
I will have to check out Deep Discount and the others mentioned in this thread.
Sorry to see Buy.com having problems as they have been good to me over the past year, but business is business.
Spence
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried"

JasonRH

Second Unit
Anyone shopped at Bestprices.com. I reviewed their site and they have the lowest prices I have seen on just about everything. Just wondering how their service was?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I've always had excellent customer service from buy.com but it looks like I'll have to cancel my order for "V" because I want to make sure I actually get it and not have to go to battle to get a refund when they go belly up.
I concur with Spence; it's survival of the fittest.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks