What's new

Buy before its gone vs. secondary market. (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
You can also go "garage saleing" and cruise around looking for sets someone is selling because they don't want them anymore. I've found some VHS and DVDs that are OOP and sell for over 100.00 on either EBay or "The Big River" for 25 cents! :laugh:

True, but for "cult" titles like Space: 1999 or UFO, you're not going to find those at a yard sale very often. Fewer people buy stuff like that compared to, let's say, Forrest Gump, and those of us who do buy these cult titles are less likely to sell them off in a yard sale. Just sayin' it's great when you can find that stuff in that way, but it's certainly the exception rather than the norm.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
AndyMcKinney said:
True, but for "cult" titles like Space: 1999 or UFO, you're not going to find those at a yard sale very often. Fewer people buy stuff like that compared to, let's say, Forrest Gump, and those of us who do buy these cult titles are less likely to sell them off in a yard sale. Just sayin' it's great when you can find that stuff in that way, but it's certainly the exception rather than the norm.
That's been my experience. Dozens of titles that sold for $3-$5 at BL and lots of junk. Few people in this area seem to purchase, much less sell, those huge sets or seasons of more obscure/cult titles. Even the Star Trek series don't show up often around here and when they do people seem to think they're printed on gold discs (unlike Regulus' once-in-a-lifetime type purchase of those titles) and ask "new" prices.

I've gotten to where if I see a series I really want to own I just get it and don't wait for a "better" price. That's because I've waited too often and wound up missing out on series I wanted in my collection because "It'll show up cheaper at some point" but didn't. I've gotten to the point that I no longer suffer "buyer's remorse" if I see a better price on something I've purchased.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
No way. That box must NEVER be opened! (I was able to watch the movie on youtube, but I don't know how long it will be before it will be shut down by the 'Copyright Police". :(

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I only occasionally buy from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, usually they aren't much different in price when shipping is added on items I'm interested in , so I just buy directly from Amazon. I also play the wait for the price to drop game and sometimes I wait too long but it sometimes pays off and i get really good deals.

I don't get some of the prices 3rd party sellers ask for sets. Who's going to pay $1000 for the Batman the Animated Series- Complete Series box set? I've seen Good times the complete series listed at $99 at one time...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Oliver Ravencrest said:
I don't get some of the prices 3rd party sellers ask for sets. Who's going to pay $1000 for the Batman the Animated Series- Complete Series box set? I've seen Good times the complete series listed at $99 at one time...
I think that the reason why there's a $1,000 tag on that Batman Animated Series full release is because the packaging is far different than just having the four volumes individually.

Here's the Batman Animated Series full release that has the $1,000 tag so you can see what I mean.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Animated-Kevin-Conroy/dp/B001CTXUTQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1439989365&sr=8-11&keywords=Batman+animated+series

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
bmasters9 said:
I think that the reason why there's a $1,000 tag on that Batman Animated Series full release is because the packaging is far different than just having the four volumes individually.

Here's the Batman Animated Series full release that has the $1,000 tag so you can see what I mean.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Animated-Kevin-Conroy/dp/B001CTXUTQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1439989365&sr=8-11&keywords=Batman+animated+series

Holy third party resellers, Batman! I have that set on the shelf...had it since it came out. Never imagined anyone would spend a grand on it...

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jason_V said:
Holy third party resellers, Batman! I have that set on the shelf...had it since it came out. Never imagined anyone would spend a grand on it...

I doubt anyone will, but that doesn't stop someone from listing it that way in hopes of finding that one individual that wants it bad enough and has money to burn. Many OOP items get set at astronomical prices but I doubt many if any ever sell for it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
AndyMcKinney said:
I found my copies of Supercar and Stingray while garage saleing. $20.00 took both of them away! :biggrin:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:

Saying goes -- he can ask what he wants. getting it is another story.

The High Price for a 3rd party new 3 years ago was $100,000+ -- I'm going to guess it went for a large discount.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
Don't forget the Network release of Space 1999 is region free. I just picked up season 1 during the Network sale last June for 12 pounds, with shipping it came to less than $28 US.

Sale on Season 1 (Region Free 1080p/24 ) is back on http://networkonair.com/

£10 + 7.55 shipping -- approx $27.50

Only 20 items and only 3-4 BD -- Complete The Sweeney is on sale though I'm pretty sure it's 50Hz

The Professionals S1 -- 50Hz though pretty sure it's region free

Supermarionation Boxset same situation it appears.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks like History channel's Monster Quest season 1 is the most recent OOP
Title going for crazy money($100-$300) .

I know that History Channels website had an awesome dvd store. Practically anything that ever aired on the channel(along with TLC, and Discovery) was available to purchase on dvd. Just type in the title of the most obscure special you viewed, and there it was ready to purchase.
No more though, I just checked and it looks like they scrapped that.
Only a handful of the newer series from the channel are available on DVD.

Another loss for physical media.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Little Rascals - Cabin Fever Entertainment (Vol 1 - 12):
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/little-rascals-cabin-fever
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rascals-Cabin-Fever-discs/dp/B000065GE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1443016764&sr=1-2&keywords=little+rascals+cabin+fever+dvd

While fortunately, all 80 Hal Roach 'Our Gang' sound shorts can be obtained on DVD without breaking the bank (Via the 7 reissued individual RHI/Vivendi DVD volumes), the 12 Volume Cabin Fever DVD set with a total of 48 Little Rascals shorts is unfortunately, quite another matter! The six DVD's are currently priced in the $350 + range on Amazon and eBay! I'm very thankful to have both sets of DVD's, albeit minus outer cases!

So why pay for the Cabin Fever discs, when there's much less expensive alternatives? Admittedly, for the casual 'Our Gang' fan, probably none. However, for the more hard care 'Rascal' completists, there is the complete, unedited WASHEE IRONEE, that is normally missing a line of dialogue on other releases, including the generally much, much less expensive Cabin Fever VHS counterpart, which preceded the DVD issues by a few years. Additionally, the special Leonard Maltin Introductions that precede each volume are exclusive to the Cabin Fever sets! The caveat regarding the LM Intros for the DVD's, is that only the first 12 (Out of 21 total) are available in that format. The other 9 are only available on either VHS or Laserdisc, the latter of which I've been unable to unearth so much as an illustrative jpeg of online, thus far!

CHEERS! :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Not television, but The Waiting Game just bit me in the ass. The Vincent Price set that Scream! released a couple of years ago ran into licensing troubles and suddenly went out of print. From 50-70ish bucks to 200 since August! Damnit, and I was going to pick it up this Halloween month too.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
Little Rascals - Cabin Fever Entertainment (Vol 1 - 12):
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/little-rascals-cabin-fever
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rascals-Cabin-Fever-discs/dp/B000065GE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1443016764&sr=1-2&keywords=little+rascals+cabin+fever+dvd

While fortunately, all 80 Hal Roach 'Our Gang' sound shorts can be obtained on DVD without breaking the bank (Via the 7 reissued individual RHI/Vivendi DVD volumes), the 12 Volume Cabin Fever DVD set with a total of 48 Little Rascals shorts is unfortunately, quite another matter! The six DVD's are currently priced in the $350 + range on Amazon and eBay! I'm very thankful to have both sets of DVD's, albeit minus outer cases!

So why pay for the Cabin Fever discs, when there's much less expensive alternatives? Admittedly, for the casual 'Our Gang' fan, probably none. However, for the more hard care 'Rascal' completists, there is the complete, unedited WASHEE IRONEE, that is normally missing a line of dialogue on other releases, including the generally much, much less expensive Cabin Fever VHS counterpart, which preceded the DVD issues by a few years. Additionally, the special Leonard Maltin Introductions that precede each volume are exclusive to the Cabin Fever sets! The caveat regarding the LM Intros for the DVD's, is that only the first 12 (Out of 21 total) are available in that format. The other 9 are only available on either VHS or Laserdisc, the latter of which I've been unable to unearth so much as an illustrative jpeg of online, thus far!

I managed to snag a small jpeg of the Cabin Fever Little Rascals Volume 2 Laser Disc:

51AABTF13JL.jpg

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rascals-2-Id2789cf-Laserdisc/dp/B006XXRGSC

At $179.95 U.S, this almost makes the $349.99 six DVD Little Rascals Cabin Fever set on Amazon look like a major bargain! :P

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just checked on Amazon, and apparently, that Batman Animated Series full release has moved up to $1,200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks