Buy a used receiver..what to look for?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Black, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hey everyone, I am looking at purchasing another receiver to replace my Pioneer vsx-d608 and have had an offer from somone I know to purchase a Marantz sr5200. My question is, what do I look for in a used receiver? Is there anyway to tell if it has been mistreated..or if somone is wrong? Any help in this would be awesome!

Mike

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I am going to be selling my Yamaha DSP-A1 just a soon as it gets back from Tweeter for it's warranty cleaning. It is almost 3 years old and looks and sounds brand new. No kidding, this receiver looks out of the box new--- even used Cardas caps for 2 years on 95% of the inputs.

I will buy this mint Champagne DSP back from you if you ever got the notion that this beast was ever mistreated. I used it for a pre-pro for the past 13 months.

At 55 lbs, this behometh mistreated me whenever I had to pick it up :*0

Few, if any, would mistreat a near 3k piece of equipment.

Anyway, I am groveling, but look for it in the wanteds within the month. Asking price will not exceed $700.

Oh, BTW, I assume you are looking for power in your next receiver. This Yammie is that, plus.

BOK

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

look for dings and stuff, this might sound weird, but smell it, if it really stinks, something is on it's way out. but other than that, ask to try before you buy...if local....I got a steal, this guy had a marantz 2240 receiver, circa 1974. selling it for 50.00 bucks. I got it, a light or two is out, and there is a few little nicks from moving and what not, but it sounds amazing. im hooking it up in my living room with a set of fluance speakers, and running an extra set of speakers into the kitchen. new house is just 3 weeks away!

4. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hey thanks for the replies!

I feel like a dork cause I made a few spelling mistakes![​IMG]

I meant I am looking at BUYING a new receiver, and I meant 'how can I tell if something is wrong', not somone [​IMG]

So anyone else have any suggestions? I am just trying to avoid buying a receiver from this guy if there are potential problems

MIke