Buy a SVS CS+ or a new receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_C, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

Hi all,
    Sometime in the near future i will have 1000.00 to put towards something for my HT setup. Right now, i have an old Pro Logic system, with 5 speakers and basically no sub(doesn't work, plus it is passive). These speakers also are very cheap and old. They are all single cone/no tweeter speakers. Should i put the 1000.00 towards a SVS CS+ 16 or buy a Denon 3802 so i can have dolby digital and DTS? The speaker set i will get is either the Klipsch RF series or the Diva 6.1 system, but for now it is either the Denon or SVS, which would you get if you were in my shoes?

Thanks!!

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Why not a Denon 1802, which can be had for less than $400, and a S700 20-39CS combo?

It seems that practicly the whole system needs replacing: reciever, speakers, subs. So instead of using that $1000 to replace one weak link, might as well make it two.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I agree with Mark. Instead of dumping all of your money into a subwoofer that's way too good to be paired with those speakers or that receiver, spread the love around and try to replace other components first. Personally, I would use the money to get new speakers first, and then look into getting a receiver and subwoofer.

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

J.Fo brings up a good point, you can get some pretty awesome sounding speakers for pretty cheap. Dare do I say, JBL? [​IMG] But their studio series has one of the best bang for buck values in the home audio world today.

5. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

thanks for the suggestions guys, but i don't want to go cheap on the receiver or speakers or sub. By next march, i will have boughten everything new(receiver/sub/speakers and then a Projector), so it isn't that i don't/won't have the money for the other pieces of the puzzle, but right now, to start the system off, i want to know which one i should get. Then in a couple months get the next piece, then then next. I don't want to buy cheaper stuff then to only upgrade again in a few months because i didn't get what i wanted in the first place. Thanks for the suggestions though. Keep them coming.

6. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

A sub does make a big difference in your system..If you really want one, then go for it...I have the svs 20-39 pci sub, and it rocks! They have a great sale on them right now..549 bucks!...depending on your future plans for a receiver, you may be able to get something like a onkyo 600 paired with it for a grand...but being you have all the other components, ya might as well add the sub now...and then it'll be complete until you upgrade the rest...my .02 cents...but damn that SVS kicks...Tom/Ron = great to deal with! TL

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ron;
    If you're hell-bent on replacing something in your system, and you don't want to go cheap on any of the components, then I suggest you replace the speakers before you get that subwoofer. As nice as it is to have good bass, a subwoofer will only produce a small fraction of the entire sound spectrum. Replacing your current speakers will yield the most dramatic results at this time, simply because you'll be improving upon so much more of the sound spectrum and not just the bass.
    With a budget of $1,000, I would seriously look at the norh 4.0 ceramics, which can be had for a total of $850 shipped. If you can afford it now, I would also look into the Diva by Swans 4.1 set, which includes a set of 4.1 towers, a C3 center channel, and a free pair of 2.1s for the surrounds (a $400 value). I have a set of these myself and am continually amazed by how good they sound. However, the nOrhs are probably the better deal if you want total bang-for-the-buck value speakers at a ridiculously low cost.
    After you upgrade the speakers, get a new receiver. If you stick with the same price figure as what you have available now, the Denon 3802 should suit your needs. Get this second because the advantages of a good processor and amp with Dolby Digital and DTS far outweigh the benefits of the extra bass.
    After you have all that, then you should get the subwoofer. By then it will be the icing on the cake. You'll have everything you need to enjoy the sub at the fullest level.
    Anyway, that's just my recommendation. Like Tommy says, if you want one now, no one's stopping you. Enjoy!

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeffery, speakers, than amp, then sub.

Although, if your speakers sound fairly good, you could swap that for amp then speakers then sub.

9. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

THanks for the suggestions guys. My only concern about getting speakers first is that they could possibly get damaged due to lack of power from my crappy PL receiver. Is this a possibility? IF that is the case, should i get the receiver first? If i still should get a speaker set first, then i will wait a couple more months and save up for the Diva 6.1 set. Thanks for the input everyone.

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Get the speakers first and don't try to play them at reference levels, then you don't have to worry about damaging them. The speakers will work with the old receiver, but if you buy a new receiver, DD and DTS aren't going to sound that great anyways with the old speakers. However the new speakers will improve your DPL sound. Basically, if you buy the receiver first, until you get the speakers replaced, you won't be enjoying much of it in comparison to your current setup.

11. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Since you want an SVS subwoofer and SVS is offering $50 off all subwoofers this summer I would suggest taking advantage of the special pricing while it is available.

12. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Since you'll be replacing everything over the course of the year, I wouldn't worry too much about which component would give the most increase in enjoyment. I'm sure that with each purchase you'll get to experience the joy of an improved system...which is the best part of upgrading your system bit by bit!

But I would recommend getting the receiver BEFORE the speakers. Here's why. As part of purchasing your speakers, you may have the opportunity to take some speakers home from a dealer to audition. Or, as in the case of the Diva's, you'll have a month of in-home use before you have to decide if you want to keep or return them. For any kind of in-home demo, I don't think you'd want to be using your old receiver, especially if it has less power to drive the speakers than the 3802. If you're not enjoying the new speakers, you'll constantly wonder if the problem is with the speakers or with your crappy old receiver.

For a similar reason, I'd get the sub before the speakers as well. With the sub and receiver in place, you can try out your speakers configured to either large or small to see which you prefer and how they perform. You won't have the opportunity to do this if when you're demoing your speakers you have your old receiver and no sub.

13. Kartal_Guner

Kartal_Guner Extra

Ron,

I would either purchase the speakers or the subwoofer first. In about a year, there won't be any major changes in speaker technology or their prices. However in about a years time, you can probably find a better/more featured reciever.

14. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

What equipment is your system currently comprised of?

15. CoreyH

CoreyH Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

I thought I'd show you the order of my purchases over the past year or so. Doing it in this order worked really well for me, but you should make the best choice for yourself.

When I started I had a dolby pro logic, Digital ready processor, and some 10 year old main speakers, and a cheap subwoofer. Here is where it went from there.

First purchased a new DVD player with a built in Digital processor.

Then a center channel
    then
    Some budget surrounds
    then
    An Infinity Subwoofer
    then
    New Digital/DTS receiver
    then
    20-39 CS+ sub
    then
    New improved Center
    then
    New floorstanding mains
    then
    New improved surrounds.

Needless to say, I've done a lot of shopping this year, but I think the only change in order I would make, would be to improve by mains, before I reimproved my center channel.

Hope this helps

16. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Although speakers (and sub) are the largest contributors to perceived sound (along with the room itself) I would suggest getting the receiver first. You will hear a large difference between DPL and DD/DTS along with improved 2-ch sound (better amp stage & processing). With this new receiver you'll be able to tell the difference between speakers when you bring them home for comparison (and thus make a better purchase decision).

17. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

18. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Okay. Definately replace the speakers first ($850 for the nOrh 4.0 package or $750 for the 5.2 package). Next the receiver and finally the sub.

19. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

That receiver is really underpowered. You should replace the receiver, then the speakers and then the sub.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

20. Shawn_S

Shawn_S Stunt Coordinator

I would go in this order:

receiver
    speakers
    sub

I say receiver first because it will allow you time to adjust to all the controls and the different settings it has to offer. Plus, you can hook up all your current stuff to it.

This is the way I went tho :b

receiver
    mains
    sub
    surrounds

I got it all within a month tho' and my set-up doesn't cost as much as yours will, but if I was doing it your way I would proceed as I recommend to you.