Buy a receiver now or wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian E, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

My tax refund is on the way and I'm itching to finally get a new receiver (currently only have DPL). Are the new 2002 receivers likely to offer more for the money? I'm talking stuff in the sub $400 range (need speakers too). A friend was telling me Sherwood has some feature packed new stuff coming out in April/May that will include DD-EX and DTS-EX & DPL 2 for around $25-$350. If this is true it sounds like I better wait?
    The stuff I'm looking at now would be the Marantz SR-4200, Onkyo 494, Denon 1602 or 1802, HK AVR120 or 220, Kenwood VR507. These are the ones I'm considering currently since they all have DPL 2 and it sounds like a feature I'm going to want. I don't upgrade often so I want to get into something that's at least slightly future proof. However I know that if you wait for better stuff to come out you can just keep waiting, because something better is always coming along.
    So I guess I'm looking for opinions. Wait for EX capable stuff to come out in my price range or just buy now and get instant gratification? I'm leaning towards waiting, but don't really know that EX will be a big deal to me. I have a very basic setup (low budget) and don't see that changing for quite a while.
    That said, any suggestions for speakers in the $300-$400 range?
    Thanks In Advance.
    EDIT: I found some info on the Sherwoods, they sound nice.
    http://www.sherwoodusa.com/2002produ...od_RD-8108.gif
    http://www.sherwoodusa.com/2002produ...od_RD-7108.gif

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I can't tell you whether you should wait or not. That is a personal choice. Both Yamaha and Sherwood are coming out with new lines within about 2 months that will offer somewhat more for the money, feature wise that is. However, if Yammie or Sherwood are not your brands of choice, there is no point waiting for them because the additional features at your price point may not be a huge deal. If OTOH you want one of those brands then waiting makes sense. The biggest new feature in that price range will be 6 channels. This only matters if you have the extra speaker and the space for a 6.1 setup. Future proofing is nice of course. But you can always sell a receiver on ebay or audiogon and pick up a new one if your feature needs creep up in a couple years.
    You can get the Onkyo tx-ds595 for $359 at www.jandr.com, which includes the full warranty (you have to call and bargain them down over the phone). Considering it comes with a warranty, that may be the best deal running right now on anything in that price range. Doesn't have tons of bells and whistles, but is a quality component from a good company.

3. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I would wait until April/May and see what Onkyo and Kenwood have to offer as well as Sherwood and Yamaha. The new Kenwood receivers may very well have SRS Circle Surround 2.
    I would get the JBL NSP1 speaker set in that price range.

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey,

I have a Sherwood RD-7106 receiver. I am very happy with it and payed next to nothing for it ($129 at ubid). I have not heard them yet but the new line of Sherwoods with DPII, DTS EX and DD EX should sound just as good. If I find these new models over at ubid for the same price I paid for my 7106 I would upgrade in a minute.

Chris

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I don't think JandR will be getting more 595's

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with the Pioneer VSX-D709S from Refurb Depot for $241.66 shipped with a 3 year warranty. From what I understand this is an Elite series receiver in all but name. Has the better amps like the Elites, etc. Now I can spend a little more on speakers which I'm starting to believe may matter a little more.