buy a new reciever OR get an additional amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Youssef, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

hey everyone. I just have a concern as to what i should do about my reciever. i have some polk rt800i's, cs400i, and polk fx300i's as well as a jbl sub and my reciever is an onkyo 575 (70wattsx5). I definetly feel that my speakers need more power so what should i do? should i sell my receiver and buy a denon 2801 (85wattsx5) or should i just get an amplifier ? maybe parasound??? i am looking to spend no more than $500 for the amp. what would be the best way to go? any input is, as always, greatly appreciated.

2. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

i didnt think the 575 had pre outs for an amp

3. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

i think it only has a pre out for the sub

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Youssef,
    You weren’t very specific. Why do you feel you need more power? The Polk speakers you have are fairly efficient; in other words, they give a lot of volume for the watt. Unless you have a really huge room, or listen at ear-bleeding levels, 70 watts should be ample for these speakers.
    Like Anthony mentioned, you will have to have pre-amp outputs to connect an out-board amp. However, keep in mind that you will need to double your current power rating in order to make any kind of amplifier upgrade worthwhile.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 26, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I'm almost certain you wouldn't hear any real difference going from 70 wpc to 85 wpc. Like others have said, (a) make sure you have preamp outputs on your receiver, and if you do, then (b) look for at least 100-150 watts per channel minimum, if you want to hear any appreciable difference.