Buy a new receiver now or wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Yatchak, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

I am ready to purchase a Marantz 9200. With the electronic shows right around the corner, would you advise waiting a few months and see what may be available?

This unit has everything I want/need. I don't know what else a receiver may offer over and above the Marantz. Any thoughts?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

More information would be helpful. Such as...

How much do you have to spend?

What speakers are you using?

What kind of receiver are you using now?

I say buy it!!!!

3. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

Phillip,

Currently, I have the Denon 3200 & B&W CDM1 SE speakers.

I'm hoping to stay under $3500.00.

The Marantz 9200 seems to have all the features any "new" receiver may have to offer this spring.

I really like the idea of having three component inputs. I also thought of waiting for the long overdue outlaw combo. Although it is to early to tell, I feel the Marantz is still the way to go. Subjective, I know.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dude my receiver is 6+ years old and I wouldn't dream of replacing it. I'm the wrong guy to give advice here. [​IMG]
    Guess I shouldn't have responded.... :b
    If it were me, I'd keep the receiver and put the extra money in the bank.

5. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

I have always waited till the new stuff comes out and the prices of the old gear drops. Example, when the Onkyo TXDS989 was released I picked up the Onkyo TXDS939 for 675 bucks. That receiver was in the 2k range. Recently, I picked up the Yamaha RX-V1 for $850. So now I have 2 flagship receivers an the both cost me about $1500. I have two great systems that I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

Danny