Buy a front projector on line?????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Curt Luther, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Curt Luther

Curt Luther Stunt Coordinator

I am brand new to this forum and I am currently building a new dedicated home theater room in my basement and I am going to be buying a front projector and a screen and I am wondering if anyone has heard of a good web site to buy from that offers easy financing terms? I live in West Michigan and there is only one place that sells projectors and they do not offer a very good selection. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Curt

2. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

Avoid projectorshopper(dot)com! I've heard good things about projectorpeople(dot)com and audiogeneral(dot)com. If you're serious about a projector, you NEED to read the projector forums at avsforum(dot)com!

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

www.visualapex.com is highly rated in the forums for service and price. I bought my l300u from them and would do business with them in a heart beat.

Do a search on this forum on visualapex and see for yourself.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I purchased my 200u from projectorpeople.com and have nothing but praise for their CS and support.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for Visual Apex. Bought a L300U from them and had it shiped out the same day. They told me if they could'nt get to it that day they would upgrade my shiping for free.

Rick

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i ordered an HT1000 back in July to satisfy my curiousity, and Projectorpeople seemed to have as good a return policy as anyone ( no restocking fee if less than 4 hrs on the bulb-has to be within 7 days- you pay 2 day shipping back).

i sent that one back because i wanted to wait for cedia to make sure.
    they were suprisingly easy to deal with on the return (when they were actually losing a sale as opposed to making one) that impressed me.
    i ordered it again from them last week and plan on keeping this one.

i would have ordered it from AVS which also gets high marks from people in regards to customer service, but the NYS sales tax would have been been over $300.

7. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I third visualapex.com

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    1) Projector People - http://www.projectorpeople.com
    2) Home Theater People - http://www.hometheaterpeople.com
    3) Visual Apex - http://www.visualapex.com
    4) Infocus Corporation - www.infocus.com
    5) Plus Corporation - http://www.plushometheater.com/en/index.htm

All the above are great to work with not only before the sale but also with the all important after the sale support.

Also, check out http://www.projectorcentral.com to read reviews on a particular projector you are interested in and then stop back in and ask about the particular model that you are interested in. I am sure you will get plenty of answers to your questions.

Parker

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

To add to that excellent list, www.avscience.com is a great site for buying equipment as well as information on projectors (they have a forum like HTF but geared towards topics like projection, HDTV, and digital processors). Their sales team is first rate and their service excellent. They also have very reasonable prices can can ship to many areas.

Check out that site and give one of their sales-reps a call to get acquainted (even if you ultimately choose to buy elsewhere).

dave [​IMG]

10. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Do you have a personal experience with them Kimi-R? Or is that second hand information?"

There have been several posts from other members on other forums that were very critical of this vendor, Dean. Although I have no dealings with them, based on the things I have read I would think twice before using them. Yes, this is based on second hand information, but I would rather have second hand information in this instance than first hand information...

11. Bill M.

Bill M. Auditioning

I bought my 200u from B&hphoto. No problems.Payed for overnight shipping got it the next day.

12. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

I just purchased a Sony HS10 from Onecall.com. I have purchased from them in the past. They will price match as long as the price is from an authorized dealer for the product. They have excellent customer service as well.

Regards,

13. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

As noted above, there are lots of good on-line dealers for HT gear. I bought everything on-line, sight-unseen for my entire HT.

PJ- Sanyo PLV-70 from Presenting Solutions
    Receiver and screen - Denon 3803 and DaLite from AVScience
    Speakers - Full Rocket 7.x system from AV123
    Subwoofers and sub power amp - SVS

All were good to work with, provided good to unbelieveable customer service and the savings over B&M stores (if any of them in my area carried any of this stuff) was well over 30%. Big bucks!

Gordon

14. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

I just purchased a Sharp XV-Z10000U from IAVI.com after doing several months or research. I feel it was the best bang for the buck. If you go to there website do not pay attention to the listed prices, instead ask for a quote.
    They are very responsive. By the way, they are a Sharp Authorized dealer.

15. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

What kind of projector are you shopping for? Digital or CRT?

16. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm looking to get a Boxlight Matinee 1HD and projectorshopper has them for $1129 with free shipping. I have read these have better warranties than Sanyo so...where else does one acquire a unit?

17. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I second visiting Projectorcentral.com

Try their price bid area - it worked for me. It is like a reverse EBAY - you name what you want then the vendors email you what they'll sell it to you for. I got 20% off retail on mine.

I ended up buying from Projectorsuperstore.com and they were good. Their after sale support was reasonable also. I was pleased.

Also, I would recommend getting a widescreen projector instead of the conventional 4:3 - I really wish I had done that.