Buy a Athena AS-C1 now, or wait until the newer version comes out w/ Neodymium?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kurt_fire, Mar 27, 2005.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

My front setup consists of 2 Athena AS-F2s and my older Onkyo center that came with my original HTiB. The Onkyo is soo far behind the AS-F2s I completely shut it off because I felt it distracted from the movie that badly. I am running a 4.1 setup now. For my rears I am currently using the 2 original Onkyo fronts. I plan to upgrade my rears after I get my front soundstage squared away [​IMG]

I'm assuming most of you will agree that for my center I definately need to go with a Athena speaker so everything is timbre-matched correctly. I'm cool with that. I know there is a debate as to which is a better speaker to use as a center with Athenas. I've read some people say the AS-C1 is actually outperformed by a AS-B1 or AS-B2 for a center speaker. Even after reading this, I'm still leaning towards getting a AS-C1 over a AS-B1 or AS-B2.

Here's my question: should I go ahead and pick up a AS-C1 now for $140~$150 or wait until June 1 (when this link says an updated AS-C1 will be released). It says the new "AS-C1 will also feature an all new Neodymium magnet structure, a technology usually reserved for very expensive speakers," on top of some minor cosmetic changes. Do you guys feel this new addition of Neodymium will improve the AS-C1 speaker enough that I should wait until July before solving my current center channel problem.

2. darrylCHER

darrylCHER Stunt Coordinator

I use (5) AS-C1's and an AS-P400 sub. I absolutely love my system. I would not wait for the "improved" AS-C1, because the current C1 sounds so damn good!!

Also, since you have the "older" F2's, you know that the current C1 will be a perfect match. Why risk any little "mismatch" at all??

Darryl

3. kurt_fire

Yeah, but that link said that the AS-F2s are only getting some cosmetic changes. They are not getting any change in sound/technology. So if the new AS-F2s are the same, I'm going to imagine the new AS-C1 would match-up perfectly. I hope that makes sense.

4. darrylCHER

On AVS, there was a thread right after the CES, and the poster said he saw the new Athena line up and talked with the sales rep.

He said the rep told him that the "new" Athena's would sound the same as the current lineup, but have a different look to the front baffle and the drivers would now be silver.

So I guess my point is, if the "new" Athena's don't sound any better/different, but look different, why not get the speaker that matches your current F2's exactly??

Darryl

5. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I am guessing since there are new Athenas coming out thats why the prices on the AS-C1 has dropped at Future Shop.
    I'm hoping the same pricing ends up happening to the older models of all of their speakers cause the F2's would be sitting in my home theatre faster than you can blink.

6. kurt_fire

I was at BestBuy today and they are selling the AS-C1 for $122 after instant rebate! Should I get this and be satisfied, or wait until the new version comes out with Neodymium? What exactly is Neodymium? How much better will it make the speaker sound?

7. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

NEODYMIUM SUPERMAGNETS
    http://www.amasci.com/neodemo.html

Supermagnets once were fantastically expensive. Tiny cobalt-samarium magnets were priced far higher than any educator could afford. But there currently is another type of magnet that is stronger than CoSm magnets and costs far less. This is the Neodymium-Iron-Boron supermagnet. The NIB magnet, or neodymium magnet, is so strong that eye protection must be worn when working with them, because if they slam together, they can shatter and eject chips at dangerous velocities. Many new science demos become possible with NIB magnets because inductive braking effects and repulsion/levitation effects become so strong that they can be directly felt and observed. A 1/2" neodyimum disk magnet costs between $2 and $10.

8. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

my observation of the above cut & paste:

um, wouldn't a nice layer of latex/plastic help in that regard? [​IMG]

9. kurt_fire

Yeah, I was doing some research myself and read that eye protection must be worn b/c of how strong they are.

Do you guys' think this will lead to a better sounding AS-C1?

10. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

it might increase speaker efficiency (less power needed to move the voicecoil) but reading the link above indicates that the magnet is so strong it acts as a compass... hopefully your new C1ii won't twist around to point 'north' on you. [​IMG]

11. kurt_fire

^^^So you don't forsee the newer AS-C1 sounding any different or better than the current AS-C1?

12. chrisCo

chrisCo Extra

I would suggest that the use of a NIB magnet indicates a significant change in the design of the driver that will be used in that speaker. (I bet along with the magnet you'll see a bigger voice coil and different motor design.) If you like the current AS-C1 I think you should buy it. The upgraded speaker will very likely sound different, maybe better but maybe just different and may not blend with your other speakers as well as the known quantity. Be assured the price of the upgraded speaker will be high than the current version.

13. darrylCHER

Kurt, dude, if you like the current AS-C1 than go buy it!!!!

We can't hear into the future, so none of us know if the "new and improved" C1 will sound ANY different.

And for what it's worth, my prior set of JBL's (studio center) had that fancy magnet and a whole bunch of other high tech sounding features, and the CURRENT AS-C1 blows it away.

You can't beat $122 for the sound/performance of the C1..... Buy It!! [​IMG]

Darryl

14. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Ooh, I've been waiting for the price of the C1 to drop. My target goal has been $99, since that's what I got a pair of B1's for. $122 is very good for the C1. Is it being marked "clearance" yet? Maybe I'll have room to negotiate.

15. kurt_fire

Well I got one today. I've got it up and running now. So far, it's much better than that piece of trash Onkyo I had on top of my TV before. I'm trying to break it in now, just running some music out of my front 3 speakers. I got it for $122 + tax. It was marked at $152-$30 instant rebate = $122 out the door.

I'm going to go take some pictures now so you guys can see them [​IMG]

16. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I also pulled the trigger on the AS-C1 this afternoon. Same price as Kurt at BB. They only had two in stock plus the demo model and the inventory didn't show any at the warehouse. I didn't want to take the risk that they'd run out forever. The $122 price is until 4/24 so maybe they'll go on clearance after that. Hopefully on 4/25 which would be within my 30 day price guarantee. The salesman said he'd refund the difference if it drops again on 4/25.

That's a big center channel! I couldn't go any deeper on the shelf above my TV. This completes my system with AS-B2 fronts, AS-B1 rears and the AS-C1 center run by a HK AVR-325 and Dayton sub.

Now to break this bad boy in...

17. kurt_fire

Greg, be sure to post your initial impressions of it after some viewing.

People out there that own the AS-C1 already, does the sound get better after it has had time to fully break-in? About 100 hours or so?

18. darrylCHER

I ran ALL 5 [​IMG] of my AS-C1's for about 2 weeks while I was at work. I ran them as large, and at a pretty high volume while Metalica played on repeat mode.

I can't say I noticed a huge difference, but I feel better with them "broken in" like Athena strongly recommends!

Darryl

19. LuckyB

LuckyB Agent

What about the Point5, are they any good? better than Micra6?
    I think the Micra6 use Neodymium magnet.

20. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

LuckyB, man, you got to stay with a thread if you post in it. I referred you to this thread before in reference to the very same queston you asked in a duplicate thread and you even posted in the thread...

here's the linky:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=227574

check out this quote from Dale B:

"Hi Ray. Just went through the exact same thing. I had both systems at the same time. I had the 300 sub not the 400. For music the point 5 system was better, but for movies I find the micra 6 to be better. Also one thing to think about is looks. To me, the micras look a whole lot better with their smaller size.Also I think the center channel, although smaller in the micra system sounds better. By the way, I really never cared for the looks of the point 5 system. The micras sound pretty good for music, by the way...."