Buttkicker Tactile Transducers, Carvin vs. QSC Audio, Episode One, WOW! NEW THX INTRO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Oct 15, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I recently upgraded my Death Star Platform (tactile transducer platform (13 feet wide by 6 feet deep)) from two Carvin 2000 watts bridged mono to each Buttkicker, to two QSC Audio PLX 3002 amplifiers which would supposedly have less fan noise and provide a little more headroom over the Carvin which provide 2000 watts (bridged mono 4 ohm load).
    So anyway, I did not get to test them this past Friday night because by the time I made the exchange and ran new XLR interconnect and made some additional upgrades, I was way to tired to stay up. So the next day, this past Saturday, Episode One DVD was sitting unexpectedly in the mail. So I dropped everything and put the highly anticipated Star Wars Episode One DVD into the DVD Drawer, unaware that I had the volume for the Death Star Platform on Maximum, with the Subharmonic controls set to maximum.
    Anyway, I'm playing with the menu and picking the DD 5.1 track and started the movie. All of I sudden it turns pitch black and I hear this rainstorm coming out of every loudspeaker, wondering how wild it sounded, but not understanding what it was all about. Then the screen brightened and I saw this Blue sphere coming at me:
    [​IMG]
    So I'm looking at this blue electrified sphere which is starting to crackle louder and LOUDER.... And the next thing I know I felt the room practically explode! HOLY
    [​IMG] It was amazing! This damn EXPLODING Blue sphere just practically knocked me flying! I quickly ran to shut down all the controls as I started to watch the rest of the scene evolve:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SHEEZE! I don't know if this is a new THX Intro or not. All I can tell you was I never saw this before, and I was not prepared for it. HOLY [​IMG] it was a very powerful moving experience!
    So anyway, I went on to further test the new QSC Audio PLX 3002 amplifiers and compare them to the Carvin DCM 2000 amplifiers. To make a long story short, the QSC Audio PLX 3002 amplifiers with the quiet Sanyo fans were approximately the same level of fan noise as the Carvin amplifiers. However, the difference in poweroutput is welcome, even if I did not make the move towards a 'silent' amplifier. I do not want to exaggerate the fan noise. I have a Dwin HD700 CRT projector that is silent, so I am used to absolute silence. Both the Carvin and QSC Audio amps are reasonably quiet and you would never hear these fans while any music or movie is playing.
    In any case, If you have not experienced a tactile transducer like the Buttkicker, EPISODE ONE IS A GOOD ENOUGH REASON ALONE! HOLY AMAZING #$^%$#$ WOOO HOOOO! It is simply amazing and puts one into a whole new category of experience. One serious step towards being part of the movie. Every part of EPISODE ONE benefited from tactile transduction. You could feel the BUZZZZ! of the light sabres; feel the pod racers as you were actually on them and a part of the race; feel the characters jump and land from a great height, or starships fly by, and to actually feel the amazing war machines grind by! Every movie can benefit from tactile transduction in the sense of adding the sense of touch to a movie. This brings me to a point which is very important.
    One thing we can really use in the short term, since it takes very little bandwidth, is a discrete tactile channel limited to 0-600 Hz. I really do think it is critical that 'Hollywood' does indeed come out with a 0-600 Hz (limited bandwidth), discrete tactile channel. We really need a discrete channel to control what goes to the tactile channels and to independently and correctly determine what level each independent sound effect should be playing at to achieve realism. Certainly, a discrete tactile channel is the only way to achieve the true naturalness and as yet untapped possibilities with tactile transducers.
    I'm certainly going to continue trying to help others build platforms and get excited about adding an entire new level of experience to their Movies. As I wrote in the Meridian Forum (I use a Meridian 861) The impact of the Blue Man Group DVD-Audio with Buttkickers is an amazing experience.
    If a discrete tactile channel does come to fruition, tactile may also find their way more easily into more areas such as music and DVD-Audio. I'm just relentless on the need for a discrete tactile channel because I see the possibilities such a channel would provide. Again 0-600 Hz is based on my experience with tactile transducers, experience with my neuroscience degree, and as a physician.
    I plan on writing an article to be put out by Buttkicker, which explains that 0-600 Hz is needed, but anything higher than approximately 600 Hz is not perceived as tactile information. Subharmonics of vibrations induced may be perceived, but fundamental vibratory information at say 1kHz is not felt. I disagree with Clark Synthesis, although I believe that you can induce subharmonic vibrations if a 1kHz or greater fundamental is generated, but you will only feel the 0-600 Hz subharmonics, not the 1kHz fundamental. I will get around to making a bigger deal about all of this soon.
    If you haven't experienced a Buttkicker in a proper, and I stress proper! setup, then you don't know what you are missing. And you have to think about what a huge difference a discrete tactile channel would do for tactile transduction.
    It seems that even the processor manufacturers aren't waiting for Hollywood. Several processor manufacturers are working on providing special outputs for tactile transducers, which will make the most out of using the movie soundtrack. This will set the stage for a discrete tactile channel, which is obviously the only way to take tactile transduction out of the stone age.
    When the search feature is available I will add more info here. Please add your comments! I upgraded the pictures of the Worm Hole Theater and Death Star Platform which you can see below. I will gladly help share my experiences and help anyone build a tactile transducer platform. You will be so glad you did.
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform
    [Edited last by ChrisA on October 16, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

2. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Only one word comes to mind when describing your wicked setup:
    [​IMG] WHOA [​IMG]
    May I ask what you do for a living? I think it's time I switch career choices [​IMG]
    You must know that I aspire to be like you Chris. I can't wait till I'm outa college with a job that'll afford my rich tastes (assuming this all does come true [​IMG]).
    Until then, I can only dream of having such a theater [​IMG]

3. John H

John H Second Unit

My pair of Buttkickers are used to activate an adjustable queen size bed in a bedroom based system.
    I have chosen to use one 2' X 4' X 1" plywood platform for each pair of bed frame legs. Each is fitted with 4 isolation feet from Kinetics Noise Control. I covered each with a thin layer of non padded carpet for appearance. T-nuts were inserted from the bottom for ease of BK mounting and removal. Each BK unit is mounted from the top centered between the frame.
    I also replaced the coil spring pillow top matress I was using with a solid foam one.
    I drive each with a bridged monaural Carvin DCM1000. The clip lights will just flicker on only the most demanding material. I house the amplifiers in a closet which eliminates all fan noise.
    I agree Episode I is a BK workout. I have been using the Pod Race as my audio demo material since the import laser disc was available. My DVD copy will arrive today.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on October 16, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

4. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

It certainly is a fun hobby. I know I dream of being able to do a totally new room construction for an A/V room. I then hope to construct The Black Hole of Infinity infinite baffle.
    Does anyone know if it is ok to use the image rule for the links above so the pictures come right up? I'd like to replace the link with [image].
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform
    [Edited last by ChrisA on October 16, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

5. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Go for it!,,
    Those images need to be seen by everybody!..
    Very Nice!..
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

6. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I always love looking at your set up Chris [​IMG]
    I believe my next upgrade will be a Buttkicker II and a 2000 watt amp. I cannot wait.

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Chris,
    Did you find out the full scoop on the differences between the first and second generation Buttkicker?
    Thanks,
    Randy
    ------------------

8. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Cool! I put the pictures up now instead of the links.
    So has anybody seen that THX introduction before? I'm just laughing because that thind really, I MEAN REALLY caught me off guard. I'm sitting there listening to a rain storm and that Blue Sphere just came out and kicked my ass! ????
    Anyway, I have been speaking with The Buttkicker people and the comparisons are still being done. I will continue to keep in touch and will have a full report when available.
    As far as putting the Worm Hole Pictures up here directly, there are too many, so best to just click on the link. I am really excited about these new chaises that are coming in this week. They are really cool and majorly comfortable. At $500.00 a piece, the three chaises will fit side by side and make a CONTINUOUS 10 foot wide custom contoured reclined seating position in the most ergonomically correct chaise I've seen. They are no recliners, but CHAISES. Affordable and well built, 40 inches wide. I'll take some pictures and perhaps they might interest other people as well. Then again, I'm not into individual seating, and these things allow all kinds of possibilities [​IMG]
    As far as the Buttkicker goes, I love the original Buttkicker. I can tell you that both buttkickers are eating 3000 watts each and I still don't hear any mechanical clacking (supposedly if you power these buttkickers with gobs of power, the metal piston eventually is able to start making a clacking sound). Again, I see these QSC Audio PLX 3002 amplifiers going into the red on occasion, with no sign of mechanical distortion... I'm getting very accurate tactile, and motion actually [​IMG] The point being that for all intensive purposes, you cannot have too powerful of an amplifier for either speakers or tactile transducers. In my opinion, you really should use a minimum of 1500 watts per buttkicker. The Buttkicker 2 is more efficient, but efficiency does not mean better. You always give up one thing to gain in another area. I'd prefer that the buttkicker people get sufficient time to continue to measure and compare the BK and BK2. Regardless, even with the BK2, I'd recommend a minimimum of 1500 watts. Certainly, I have already seen 3000 watt clipped peaks go into the Buttkicker with no problem meaning that some additional headroom could be utilized, at least to avoid the clipped peaks.
    ------------------

9. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I'm confused... now the post is showing up. Duplicate yet.
    [Edited last by ChrisA on October 17, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

10. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I made a really long post here yesterday around this time, that never showed up, so I plan to repost something similar later tonight ot tomorrow.
    Edit (Now it is showing up and duplicate yet. How strange).
    So while I am on my way out the door, have others seen this THX intro shown above before?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by ChrisA on October 17, 2001 at 05:30 PM]