What's new

Buttkicker 2 or cheaper Ebay Shakers? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I like what I started in my HT room and can't seem to stop this addiction. I have dual SVS 25-31's powered by a Sampson1000. I put the port plug in to lower the freq to 20. I know anything below this is felt so I think the shakers are a cheap way to get those lower effects. Also late night movie watching will still add that shake without the volume(great for horror flicks). I've been researching the buttkicker 2 with a 1000watt amp(can't remember the name) combo for around 700. The thing is can cheaper(but plentiful) Ebay shakers that go for around 50 sound just as good? I remember reading that the Butt2 can go down to 5hz. I hope my girlfriend won't have a new best friend...the couch. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The BK2 is the only tactile transducer I've ever experienced. I have one mounted as directed beneath my livingroom floor. It's a truly impressive component and it adds lots of smiles to my HT experience.

I believe that by virtually all accounts that the BK line is without peer among TTs.

BTW, $700 is a nice price for a BK2+amp package.

John H

Second Unit
I have used tactile transducers in my bedroom based system for several years. I use them to activate a queen size adjustable bed.

My first installation was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units. (ultra high performance Aura's)

Later I replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F's and then upgraded to a pair of their Platinum models when they made their debut.

I currently use a pair of original BK units. I first drove them with a pair of bridged Carvin DCM1000's. I now use a pair of bridged Crown K2's.

I don't have any experience with the BK2 but have read many user reviews. The unit is more efficient than the original model. Due to it's reduction in mass it will give up some output in the extreme low end.

When it comes to low frequency extension and output the BK is king. As Jim stated it has no peers!

John

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
How important is "shake" to you? BK's have no equal, but are you prepared to spend $700 on something that shakes? I have the Aura Pro's and they do the job for me. There is o sound so the quality can't be compared as how they "sound". But the BK's will shake at below 20Hz while the Aura Pro's won't.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
But the tactile sensation they provide can.

The BK's have a much more controled and flatter response. The Aura's have a hugh hump at 45Hz and supply less detail.

I agree, but to me it wasn't worth the added expense and besides, I have a BFD to flatten the frequency response of my aura pro's. They fit the bill nicely for me but I can't feel a thing below 20Hz from them.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
OK, How the heck do you measure the frequency response of a bass shaker??? In order to flatten it with an EQ, I would think you need some quantifiable data to start with. This seems interesting.

Troy

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Well Troy since I don't have a sizemagraph(sp?, is that what it's called?) Used to measure earthquakes and sizemic activity. I go by feel. with the pro's uneq'd, there was much more shake in the 40Hz range. So I used my stryke disk and tried to even out the shake as best I could to all frequencies. I only needed 4 filters to get a good steady shake accross the whole low end range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks