What's new

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid SE on June 6th See Post #8 (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Has there been any news on a new Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? I know the current DVD is out-of-print. If there is a new edition coming out soon, then I will wait. If not, I want to grab the current one now because a.) good movie, b.) in case the prices go really high on Ebay.

Does anyone know anything??

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I haven't heard any rumors of a new edition.

With Newman and Redford allegedly working on another movie together, a new Butch and Sundance edition might see the light of day but you never know about these things.

ted:r

Second Unit
There is a Newman box coming out this year, which will definitely include "Harper" and "The Dorwning Pool" It wouldn't surprise me if it includes a SE of BCATSK.

The fact that the original is OOP would seeem to point to that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a Fox title while the boxset is coming from Warner.

Crawdaddy

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
What's wrong with the current disc? The transfer is good, it has a good making of documentary, and an interesting commentary by the late, great Conrad Hall. I think Fox just neeeds to reissue it. There are lots of other films that haven't been released yet.

Sorry, I'm being devil's advocate :-D

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and with that thought, it could be a possibility??
warner is supplying Blazing saddles for Fox's up coming Mel Brooks collection, and while stated in the chat that they don't run there material through third parties, there has been some collaborative releases in the past as well, the Dr Strangelove in the Kubrick collections, or the Oliver stone collection.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
From what I can remember the current disc is a special edition with a commentary track and a making-of with lots of interviews with the cast, I wonder what they could add to make this worthwhile?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, there's really nothing wrong at all with the current disc (other than it being OOP, of course). The new 2nd disc would have to contain some pretty special SE content to make me consider double-dipping.

That said, a Newman/Redford commentary might tempt me...

I didnt really see anything wrong with the one disc edition. I thought it had some really good extras. Good news though - seems to be a big year for Paul Newman releases.

Sometimes Newman can be a bit hard to listen to because his voice has gone after all those years of smoking and drinking :D

I have noticed that Cool Hand Luke is OOP. Wonder if it is going to be redone anytime soon......

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm sort of at odds as well as to why a new
Special Edition needs to be released after the
very decent original release.

Good call ronald. I thought the one disc edition was wonderful value. From memory it included:

-Lengthy Interviews with Newman, Redford, Goldman, Ross and Burt Bacharach
-Three theatrical trailers
-40 minute making of documentary
-Alternate Credits
-Production notes
-Commentary including cinematographer Conrad Hall

What else could you possibly include? It is a fairly big year for Newman DVD releases and a possibility of a Redford/Newman swansong. Perhaps it is just Fox cashing in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see nothing wrong with them releasing a 2-disc SE, six years after the initial release. Some people have been asking for such a release. Whether you buy it or not is your decision and if you're happy with the previous release then your decision is an easy one to make. Personally, I'll be purchasing it.

Crawdaddy

It wouldn't be so bad Robert if Australia didnt take so long to get DVDs released out here. I only got my region 4 copy in 2004!!! Then I saw the light and purchased a multi region player late last year. So it is all a novelty to me :D

yeah i am going to grab it - comes close to being my favourite movie. I am going to be absolutely broke by the end of the year :D

Blast you Warners!! bringing out so many awesome DVDs :emoji_thumbsup:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
maybe they'll have some docs on the ~real~ Butch and Sundance... i was actually kind of disappointed that the first one didn't. any time a movie's based on real life, i'm always curious as to what the 'real' story was (since i got the Biography Channel, i've since seen the Butch Cassidy episode of it).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
June 6th is a massive day for westerns as John Ford / John Wayne Collection is out on the very same day

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times with the low-down on the R1 Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid CE.

Disc 1: Main Feature
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, French and Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Commentary #1 by George Roy Hill, Lyricist Hal David, Associate Producer Robert Crawford and Cinematographer Conrad Hall
Commentary #2 by Screenwriter William Goldman

Disc 2: Extras
2005 documentary, ALL OF WHAT FOLLOWS IS TRUE: The Making of butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Wild Bunch: The True Tale of Butch & Sundance
History through the lens: "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Outlaws Out of Time"
1994 documentary: THE MAKING OF BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUDANCE KID"
1994 Interviews
Production Notes
Alternate Credit Roll
Theatrical Trailer #1
Theatrical Trailer #2
Theatrical Trailer #3
The Films of Paul Newman – Trailer Reel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks