But What If I Don't Have A Home Phone?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Moe Dickstein, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    It seems that I can't have Tivo or Replay unless it is plugged into a phone...

I am renting in a house where the owner doesnt keep a land line, we all just use our cell phones, and so basically if I want Tivo, am I going to have to bite the bullet and pay an additional $50 a month or so for phone service?

this sucks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I believe current Replay models will not use a phone line but require a network connection with internet access; AFAIK, this was true of the initial 4000 series Replays, but perhaps later models support telephone connections.

A TiVo series 2 (which is all that's being sold today) with the version 4.x software gives you a choice between acessing the service by phone or by internet.

So, no, you don't need a phone, but you do need a home network.

M.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I thought all ReplayTV models had the phone option? The ethernet option was added to that a year or two ago.

4. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Well home network we got here!

we have wired, wireless, 80211A (whatever that new faster one is)

my roommate has all of that. The sales people I talked to all said I would need a phone jack hookup, shows what they know.

>goes to price Tivo units

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moe, a few words of caution.

1. I have never set up a TiVo except by telephone line, so I'm not sure whether the initial setup requires a phone line. If it does, you could just take the unit to a friend's for that call (it's a toll-free call).

2. Make sure that the unit you buy comes pre-loaded with the 4.x software. This may be easier said than done, since the 4.x rollout occurred only in the last few months and was done through the TiVo service. If you can't get 4.x preloaded, then you'll need a telephone line to get the latest software, which is what added the official network support.

3. TiVo series 2 comes with USB ports, but you'll need to buy additional hardware for network access, either wired or wireless. It's a one-time purchase.

M.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The current lineup of ReplayTV 5xxx models have both a modem and an ethernet jack on them. It's pretty easy to hook it up via ethernet (I think during the setup procedures it'll ask if you are using a phone or an ethernet connection, and does what is needed to make the connection depending on what's connected to it).

I think the older ReplayTV 45xx models also have ethernet capability.

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Oldest Replays were phone-only. Then they went Ethernet-only (4xxx models, I think). Finally they put the modem back in, so current 5xxx ones can use either.

Tivo series 2.0 with 3.0+ software can connect via Ethernet with the aid of supported USB->Ethernet dongles. 4.0 does this explicitly but 3.x can still work, with the aid of a special phone prefix code that tells it to use the LAN (details over at www.tivocommunity.com, underground section). So you don't have to get 4.0 preloaded to work; 3.x will do for initial setup. It will update you to 4.0 soon enough.

Might need 4.0 for the wireless drivers; I forget if 3.0 included any.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    My 4580 has a phone line and ethernet connections. I use the ethernet connection via my wireless router and it works great. You just tell the unit which one you want to hook it up to when you start it up. The 5000 series adds a USB connection so you can use a wireless USB to network connection, an ethernet connection or the phone line.

Personally I prefer using the ethernet connection on mine as it connections right to the net, downloads the menu and all this in a matter on minutes. The phone line can take quiet a bit of time and it is not always reliable in connecting to their service.

So Moe hook up the ReplayTV 5000 series to the USB connetion, get a wireless USB transmitter to go with your router/hub and away you go.

Parker

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Is the USB connector active yet? I heard it wasn't quite yet. If you want to go wireless you had to hook up a wireless bridge? I have mine wired, but will need to switch to wireless soon (moving rooms).

10. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Yes, the USB works fine. You can get a usb wireless adapter even.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

12. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Well I want Tivo, not replay, so it looks like just a series 2 is all I need.

getting it when i get paid july 10, theres even one for sale if it's still there when I have the moolah =)

13. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Gabriel: Assuming you have 4.0 software or later, I know for sure that the linksys usb wireless adapter works fine. It even has a section in the setup for your wep and stuff.

14. Parker Clack

Parker
    Gabriel:

I just got off the phone with a ReplayTV technical rep and he said they are in the process of rolling out their new sotware update (that will enable the USB connection) this week at a rate of a 1,000 units at a time. This will include software updates for the 4500 and 5000 series models. All new 5000 series models will have the new software included.

Parker

15. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Oh... er... I thought we were talking about Tivo.

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    Nope. ReplayTV. They were talking about the USB connection on the 5400 series ReplayTV and whether or not it was enabled. The new software upgrade will enable it.

Parker

17. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Tomorrow im writing a check for my TiVo series 2 60 hour model, thanks to a fellow HTFer that is deciding to go with cable co pvr...

gosh that was the last piece of electronics i still wanted... i feel strangely empty now =)

Can't wait to get started!

18. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Well, 5.0.750 still doesn't enable USB unfortunately. Just tried one. Called them and they have no projected date for getting USB functional.