What's new

But I dont have an Amp for my Outlaw 950! (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
i feel like just getting the Outlaw 1050 now...
Which might be a really good upgrade path for you... the 1050 now which will give you ample power and processing capabilities, then a really good amp to run the 1050 through for even more power (don't skimp and your amp will last you forever), and then the Outlaw 950 (or whatever is the biggest, baddest, bestest pre-pro at that price-point when you're finally ready to purchase).

At the end of the day, you'll have a top-notch separates system for your main setup, and the 1050 for the bedroom (which would make for a great bedroom system).

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Jaymer,

Many would disagree, but I believe that depending on your speakers and room, the 1050 would give you between 90 and 98% of the performance of the 950 plus 7 amp channels at one third the cost. Get the 1050 and enjoy great bang for buck and avoid angry spouse. I don't think 7.1 is going to take off- 6.1 is already approaching diminishing returns for speaker number. We only have 2 ears.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that cables are also needed between the processor and amp and decent cables are not cheap either.
The Sherwood AM-9080 amplifier comes with five high quality audio cables for this purpose.

But I agree the 1050 should be a great fit.

Jaymer

Auditioning
allright, that settles it for me. i'll bank the extra money and get the 1050. i'll just cancel my 950 order and make the wifey happy.

thx for all the suggestions.

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, looks like a bunch of guys who are on the waiting list for the 950 just convinced one of the guys ahead of them to cancel;)
Good job! I'm waiting, too:D

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
allright, that settles it for me. i'll bank the extra money and get the 1050. i'll just cancel my 950 order and make the wifey happy.
I'd do the same if it weren't for the fact that I want DPLII, which the 1050 does not have.

So, I'm one of the many in a similar situation. With my small room (11x13x8), is waiting for the 950+770/755 just waiting for overkill (sweet, sweet overkill...)? Since DPLII is a must for me, I'm trying to decide between waiting for the 950/770, buying a receiver with the features I want (I don't need more than 5.1 with my room layout) plus preouts should I decide to add an amp, or just getting a receiver with the features I want, and trusting it will drive my Diva's well enough in my small volume.

I have the budget for the 950 combo, but it doesn't mean I have to spend it (of course, since I just got on the waiting list, I may never get the chance to).

I'm still trying to decide whether these agonizing, never-clear choices are what I like or hate about the hobby...

--Mike

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I have to speak up.

I know there are many who enjoy the 1050 and that it gets very good reviews for what it is. BUT, when you get it, listen to it very critically. A good friend of mine just got his 1050 and was very disappointed in the sound and is sending it back. It did not have the power to run his speaker set up. It really struggled at moderate volumes.

His speakers are NHT 2.5i's (6 ohm, 86 db efficiency), and it may be that easier-to-drive speaks work with 1050's just fine, but the only direct experience I had with it was not very good.

HOWEVER, since it sounds like you had $900 budgeted in the first place, if you can get a 1050 AND a solid amp for about that price right away, you can most likely ignore what I'm saying. Of course, you stil won't have 7-ch cabability (I don't either) or PL-II (which is more important to me), but the power thing might not be an issue then.

I agree with the poster that mentioned having a talk about $$ now vs. money later. The 950 with a solid amp now might be the best, longest lasting, more $$ efficient route.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
But you should expect a much better experience than Jeff's friend had. I can't make a broad range of comparisons, but I can say that the Outlaw's 65 watts wipes the floor with the (supposed) 100 watts/2 channels of my old Sony receiver.

There may have been a problem with his receiver, as it should easily power a 6 ohm/86 db set of speakers to required volume levels (at least in a normal sized room). I recall a very similar review on audioreview.com about the 1050, and it turned out to be a defective unit. I wouldn't be surprised if that may have been the case with Jeff's friend.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
You can't expect miracles from a 65 watt receiver!!
True, true.
My friend (Erik Johnson) is actually monitoring this thread, and your comment is REALLY directed at him :D
I don't mean to rip on the 1050 at all; I just believe you should listen to it carefully for the first 30 days to make certain it is going to make you happy during the Period Of No (external) Amp. ;)
Becoming dissatisfied on the 31st day would be bad, that's all. I'd be very happy for you if you are happy with it. I'm all for a high satisfaction:cost ratio (though my friends would laugh at me for saying so). Hey! I'm on the list for the 950 which qualifies me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks