Buster Keaton bonus disc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The bonus disc mentioned in another thread (to be packaged along with the ten original in a new box set) has now been officially announced (or, at least, acknowledged by DVD Review). Here are the specs:
    Whew! According to DVD Review, over three and a half hours of material!
    Now, in the other thread, someone at Kino replied to a query and said this disc would somehow be made available to those of us who have already purchased the Keaton discs. We really need to keep their feet to the fire over this one! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Greg_S_H on September 27, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds great, I can't wait...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

What other thread? A search for Buster Keaton turns up nothing but this thread.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Does anybody have the details on this new boxset? When will it be released and what movies will be in it? I checked Kino's website and there is no mention of this. I have held off purchasing Keaton discs until now. I will definitely be buying a copy of this.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If I recall correctly, the Buster Keaton discussion was actually a takeover of a Charlie Chaplin thread. Anyway, Kino did email me and tell me that the bonus disc would be made available to those with the other discs already, but they weren't entirely sure yet how they were going to implement it. I don't know if they've decided on anything.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Mark's right about it being the Chaplin thread. Unfortunately, search is down or I'd link you to it.
    As for the boxed set, it is simply a repackaging of the ten currently-available Keaton DVDs (along with the bonus disc, natch). Here's the rest of what DVD Review reported yesterday:
    Also, I have edited the first post in this thread in order to add some information about the bonus disc I missed yesterday.
    Of course, one of the most exciting aspects of this bonus disc is the discovery of previously lost footage for Hard Luck. Notice on the College disc that Hard Luck runs around 22 minutes. For those who don't yet own College, this version of Hard Luck is missing footage and even uses stills to show how the ending was supposed to play out. Now, look at the bonus disc: 25 minutes. They have (as mentioned in the other thread) found another print, and we'll finally get to see Hard Luck the way it was meant to be seen. Since Buster called the end gag the funniest he ever did (or words to that effect), this is excellent news.
    [Edited last by Greg_S_H on September 27, 2001 at 03:11 PM]

7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Anybody have any news about getting Keaton Plus separately? I have already purchased the Keaton DVD's, and definitely want to get this extra disc somehow. But having to re-purchase the whole set isn't realistic.
    ------------------
    -Rodney
    No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!
    [Edited last by Rodney on November 17, 2001 at 01:18 PM]

8. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Anybody know if Samuel Beckett's "FILM" with Keaton will be released?

9. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

The bonus disc will be sold separately. But You have to wait 6-9 months after the box set is released...

10. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

I decided to call up Kino to check on the status of obtaining the Keaton Plus bonus disc separately. I explained how a Kino representative stated that they would try and implement a way for HTF members to obtain this disc if we already owned all the other titles.

Apparently that was met with full puzzlement, and after that I got shuffled to various people in an attempt to get a proper answer to my question.

Each time I reached someone, I received a standard "it's only available in the box set," and when I explained the full story again, off I was transferred to someone else. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I reached the end of the line with one "gentleman" (and I use the term lightly) who rather harshly and loudly told me off (I wish I got his name). He repeatedly stated that there was no way the disc was going to be made available separately from the box set. He said he didn't know anything about any "Home Theatre Forum" store -- after triying to explain the HTF to him to no avail, he said that nobody at Kino would every make any such statement, and implied several times that I was making the whole thing up just to try and get the disc for myself separately. Thank you, sir, there is nothing I like better than repeated implications that I am a liar...

I told him I resented basically being told I'm making the whole thing up, and he simply stated again that if I "was telling the truth," nobody at Kino would ever make such a false statement. He said he's been there for seven years and knows "everything going on at the company," and again very forcefully insisted nobody at all would be getting the disc unless they purchased the full box set.

However, he did say that "there was some minor discussions of possibly releasing it separately next year." That's it. Thank you for calling. * Click *

I tried doing a search beforehand to find out who exactly made the statement saying that Kino would help out HTF members in obtaining that bonus disc separately, but it proved unsuccessful. Looks like the message is completely gone. Maybe someone else here remembers who it was and can contact them to find out what the deal is.

As for speaking with random folks at Kino themselves about the bonus disc, if you'd like to try it yourself, be my guest -- but remember that you're in for a very frustrating experience. Each person I spoke with was a bit ruder than the previous one, until I reached the end of the line with Mr. I've-been-here-seven-years-and-know-everything. What surprises me is that I've dealt with Kino before in the past, and everyone was as pleasant as can be. Maybe something happened there recent and everyone is just super cranky for whatever reason.

Well, so that's what seems to be up right now. There "may" be a separate release of the disc sometime in 2002. Or maybe not.

Again, if someone can contact whoever the Kino contact was who made the original statement about helping us get that bonus disc, please please do so. Or if the original Kino poster happens to be reading this, please fill us in on whatever you can about helping us get that separate Keaton Plus disc.

Frustratingly yours,

Jeff

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The original poster was me; I was assured in a private email that Kino would do something to make sure those who had the discs already would be able to get the bonus disc separately. However, no timeframe was promised on that.
    The scuttlebutt at alt.movies.silent is that the bonus disc should be available in 6-9 months. Presumably they want to maximize sales of the box set. I can wait a few months (heck, I've not gotten through all 10 of the original discs yet!). [​IMG]

12. Greg_S_H

Greg
  13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm ordering this gold nugget!

I have a 2-VHS set (public domain...sigh) of 6 of those mentioned shorts and the quality is horrible! Upgrade time!

After watching Kevin Brownlow's excellent documentary, Buster Keaton: A Hard Act To Follow, I immediately wanted to see some more Keaton!

The General, The Playhouse, The Electric House, Sherlock Jr., The Navigator, The Three Ages, The Boat, Cops, Steamboat Bill Jr., and a ton of extras in a box set? Kino is going to be $150 dollars richer VERY soon!

14. Greg_S_H

Greg
    It's definitely worth it since you don't have the discs, but it's annoying for those of us who already have them. I don't mind waiting a few months for the disc, but I want reassurances. And, the way they treated Jeff is inexcusable.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Has there been any movement on this issue in the last couple of months? Mark, have you heard any more from either Mr. Wood or the knowledgeable folks in alt.movies.silent? I hope it doesn't come down to having to sell my existing discs on eBay so I can buy the box to get the extra disc.

16. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

Posts within the last week on a.m.s from someone at Kino said it wasn't going to happen any time in the immediate future...look up a thread about requests for what people would like them to bring to Cinecon, IIRC

17. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

It is extremely frustrating that those of us who purchased the Buster Keaton DVD's separately starting back in October of 1999, are punished for showing Kino that there was demand for Buster Keaton on DVD. Kino should offer us the ability to purchase the Keaton Plus disc separately.

Kino, do the right thing.

18. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks, Dave. I'll start checking in a.m.s.

Rodney, I agree completely. I wouldn't have purchased the discs early if I'd known this would happen. At least Bret Wood wants to do the right thing. I hope he can convince the rest of the people at Kino to do so.

19. Henry Yuen

Henry Yuen Extra

Any news on the bonus disc? I too emailed Kino back in November 2001 and was told the disc may be released separately some time in 2002.

20. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Put me down as one who is still waiting for the bonus disc to be available separately.

Any news?