Busted amp, what can I do now?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Willard, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Chris Willard

Chris Willard Auditioning

Sep 30, 2003
    Before I say anything else, I need to make one thing strait: I don't know very much about home theater's or stereos, so I'm probably going to be using non-technical terms. Also, if possible, could you make any replys easy for a newbie to understand? Thanks.

Anyways...I just got the stereo system that used to belong to my Dad down here at my dorm room, but I think somewhere in the move it got bumped around (I thought I packed it in really nice). It's been working fine for as long as I can remember, and my step-brother (Who's had it longer than I remember) said he never had a problem like this before.

Here's what it does: The part of the stereo that has the AM/FM/Tape/CD player turns on and I do know that sound information is being sent down to the subwoofer/amplifier. The problem is that no sound is being sent out to the speakers from there.
    Well, that's not 100% true. If the stereo is set on Tuner when it's first turned on, I can hear about 0.1 seconds of sound out of all speakers. After that first burst of sound (It's not a random burst of sound, it's what's actually playing on the station the Tuner is set on), all sound goes away.

My RA, who used to fix stereos, offered to take a look at it for a few minutes. He was the one that figured out that the problem is most likely in the amplifier. I thought I blew a fuse at first, but he said that's probably not the case (And all 5 fuses look ok and have resistance across them) otherwise I wouldn't be getting any sound at all, even though I only get a quick burst of it...I think he said it might be one of the chips (controller chip?) or transister. Unfortunatly, because the duties of the RA take a lot of time and energy, he won't be able to take a closer look at it until after the Halloween activities.

So that's the situation. My question is this: What do I do now? Is there any hope for this system? Does anybody know what could have caused this, or what could be done to fix it? I'm desperate! ...it doesn't help that I left a critical part of my PC speaker system at home and have had a need for some good music the last week [​IMG]

And now the important parts, the stereo's model numbers:
    Make: Sony
    CD Deck Reciver: HCD-551
    Subwoofer: Amplifier: SA-W552
    Stereo System: SEN-R5520

I have images of the plugins on the back of the amp/subwoofer, and the back and front of the reciever. I can't post the links because of the restrictions on the forum, so if you want/need to see what the stereo looks like, PM me and I'll send the links.

I hope I have the right model numbers assigned to the right parts, there are multiple model numbers on the subwoofer/amplifier. Also, I do know it's an older system. But since it's been working excellent all these years, has great sound (To my ears), and was free, I want to fix it before I even consider buying a new one.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mar 29, 2000
    Sony generally has fuses that protect the amp outputs.
    It might just be a blown fuse.
    If you do open it up, have it unplugged from the wall at least an hour.
    The fuses are about an inch long cylindercal with a thin wire inside
    If the wire is broken, you have no output.
    Ask your buddy, maybe he will do it for you.

Good Luck
  3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    You can probably take the amp apart (with phillips screw driver). Then perhaps inspect the internal parts and see if anything got loose or broken during transportation.

I'm assuming there's no warranty to be void, and the case is easy to open.

If there's only a short burst of sound.. Could this be an auto-resetting safety fuse somewhere in the amp? It could be protecting something....