What's new

Business vs. Home Use Projectors (1 Viewer)

Brent Kelley

Auditioning
Hi all, I'm new to the projector game and trying to learn as much as I can for a future purchase. I'm noticing a lot of manufacturer sites are separating "home theater projectors" and "business projectors." Now, I know the business projectors are designed to be more mobile but I'm wondering what the real differences are? Could I purchase a good "business" model for use in my HT? Would it look okay? Thanks in advance!

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
It depends on the individual projector. In general, here are the differences:
Business:
Brighter
Color temp of 8900k or above
Noisier
Fewer color adjustments
Slower colorwheel (on DLP)
Lower contrast (especially when calibrated to D65)
Cheaper :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Brent,
i'm using an NEC LT150. its classififed as a presentation projector, weighs about 3 1/2 lbs. and is the size of hardbound book.
i'm a little biased, but i havent seen any digital projector (going up to $17000 Runcos) that puts out an image considerably better than this.
like most presentation pjs, it lacks some features, is noiser than pjs marketed for HT use, and bulb life is a little shorter, but its image quality more than makes up for that.
it can also be purchased , B-stock, for under $2K.

there are other issues as well, but all these, imo, are easily work aroundable.
to be able to get into front projection, at this price point, and with this level of quality, is just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks