Business vs. Home Use Projectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Kelley, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brent Kelley

Brent Kelley Auditioning

Hi all, I'm new to the projector game and trying to learn as much as I can for a future purchase. I'm noticing a lot of manufacturer sites are separating "home theater projectors" and "business projectors." Now, I know the business projectors are designed to be more mobile but I'm wondering what the real differences are? Could I purchase a good "business" model for use in my HT? Would it look okay? Thanks in advance!

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It depends on the individual projector. In general, here are the differences:
    Business:
    Brighter
    Color temp of 8900k or above
    Noisier
    Fewer color adjustments
    Slower colorwheel (on DLP)
    Lower contrast (especially when calibrated to D65)
    Cheaper [​IMG]

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Brent,
    i'm using an NEC LT150. its classififed as a presentation projector, weighs about 3 1/2 lbs. and is the size of hardbound book.
    i'm a little biased, but i havent seen any digital projector (going up to $17000 Runcos) that puts out an image considerably better than this.
    like most presentation pjs, it lacks some features, is noiser than pjs marketed for HT use, and bulb life is a little shorter, but its image quality more than makes up for that.
    it can also be purchased , B-stock, for under $2K.

there are other issues as well, but all these, imo, are easily work aroundable.
    to be able to get into front projection, at this price point, and with this level of quality, is just amazing.