What's new

Business lost: Shows you didn't buy due to alterations/cuts/music replacement (1 Viewer)

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I'll wager $1,000 that, by the time Miami Vice-Season 2 rolls around, music will be replaced. This is assuming that Season 1 makes it out uncut in terms of original music.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I have a question for those who don't buy based on music issues. While I see nothing wrong with that (in fact, I too would probably boycott a release if this happened to something I was on the fence of).

But what would happen if it was a show that you barely remembered, and had no idea about the music that the original episode contained? The Survivor season 1 set contains one very slight music change in one episode--I read about it and compared it to my tapes from 2000 and sure enough I did hear it. But had I not read that, it is not something I would have ever noticed.

So what happens in situations like that?

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
For me it depends how much music has changed, what songs and how important they are. I do a lot of blind buys so I don't know the show before I watched it on DVD. It happend to me with "Popular", watched it and enjoyed it. Then I found out in the "buyers beware" thread it had been changed. I did some research on how much and what songs had been changed and it was really sad to see some songs I had missed in their intended context. Had I known that before I bought the set I probably wouldn't have ordered it. I don't want to support a release that does something like this for whatever reason.
That's not a set in stone principle for me though! But it DOES affect what shows I start collecting and investing in.

If the changes are minor like the one AnthonyC mentioned for "Survivor" I might buy it despite the change. I also enjoy Buffy and Angel despite the missing "previously on's" (would have loved to have them though). Plus I bought Roswell (complete UK set) despite the changes (at least I could make a consious decision because I knew about the replacement). It was not forseeable for me then what a curse music replacement would become by now.

I will not tolerate changes like the ones on Quantum Leap though and also not the policy by a studio to put out good Season 1 sets and then kick your customers who have become hooked in the head with inferior 2nd season sets.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just an example:

Smallville has all of its original music intact, but I wouldn't even notice a change as long as it was handled smoothly. I've only recognized two songs in the entire run, and one of them was because it was a remake. So, if I were to find out there were replacement songs on the DVDs, it wouldn't make much difference to me. Really, though, it should, since the songs they original selected generally have lyrics relevant to what's happening in the show.

But, with Quantum Leap, I do know the music, and it does make a difference. When a show is about time travel, the music is an easy way to set the tone of that week's time period. It's really lost here. Actually, we knew this was a possibility back before the show was ever announced. When we talked about shows that might never come out due to music rights, QL was one often mentioned. Instead, it came out butchered.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head:

Wiseguy
Kung Fu
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Make Room for Daddy
Rocky & Bullwinkle
The Joey Bishop Show

I'm sure there are others, though I can't think of them right now. I will not buy a show, no matter how much I like it, if it isn't in the right aspect ratio, has unnecessary and irritating bugs, has a song cut or replaced, or is otherwise incomplete.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
What is the Network Logo Bug you are referring to? I haven't watched my Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 set yet.

Never mind, I found my answer in another thread...and needless to say, I'm EXTREMELY annoyed by this. I hope it doesn't become standard practice, but I know in my heart that it will...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks