What's new

Business lost: Shows you didn't buy due to alterations/cuts/music replacement (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Same here...I might not have passed if they hadn't stuck the word "uncut" on the package which clearly contains a show that was in fact cut.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wow, already about 10 votes for "ALF" in only 20 or so responses. Considering the small size of the sample, one can only wonder how many sales LGE cost themselves in the grand scheme. You can add "ALF" to my list too. One of my most wanted, it remains on the store shelf. Also,

Too Close for Comfort
Will & Grace
Invader Zim V3
Ren & Stimpy

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Ren and Stimpy
The fact that John K said to buy them anyway so that Spike would order more Adult Party Cartoon only made me feel better about not buying.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I would get almost any show from the 1950s and 1960s. I would have snapped up "Make Room for Daddy" and "The Joey Bishop Show" on the day they came out. But after reading here that they're incomplete, I didn't get them.

It would be nice if what we say here mattered.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'm avoiding DVDs of several movies due to the material that the studio cut off the sides of the screen.

I wasn't planning to buy "Shrek: The Complete Story" -- because I already had the DVD of the first Shrek movie, and didn't really want to pay for it again. Still, the idea of issuing the deluxe box set as MAR-only is truly mind-boggling. How many fans can there be who are into animation enough to want to buy the box -- and yet, who would be willing to settle for MAR?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The moose and the squirrel are bugged for season 2? I was planning on getting both of them, but now that I know 2 is screwed, I won't even bother with season 1. Idiots!

Glenn

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
One thing I don't understand is why so many people at the HTF seem to have no problem with colorization. I believe I Dream of Jeannie has been colorized for the Japanese release, and there was some speculations as to whether or not it would be colorized for domestic release. Many people seemed not to care one way or the other. I wouldn't even consider buying it colorized. An early episode is on right now, and the black-and-white image looks absolutely beautiful. A couple of cut scenes, a few unimportant changed songs? I might--might--overlook that. But, no colorization, no matter how far the technology has advanced.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
"Make Room For Daddy", and also "Underdog". In the case of "Underdog", what makes these companies think we'd like to own a show that no longer looks like the show we used to watch as kids? "Underdog" doesn't have the commercial bumpers they had when it ran, but more importantly, where are all the shows that used to run within the Underdog show like "Go-Go Gophers", "The World of Commander McBragg", "Tennessee Tuxedo" and the rest? It's truely a shame how these companies release a butchered up show that resembles nothing like the show we remember, then they prey on our hunger for nostalgia, hoping we'll buy anything that may bring back SOME good childhood memories. Sounds like they care more about the mighty buck, rather than releasing the actual shows as they originally aired.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Which two episodes? And how were they edited?

For the list:

Dark Angel - I only saw it on FOX's digital channel, so I won't buy the "Fool Screen" DVD version.

Randy_Cre

Agent
Quantum Leap Season 2
Northern Exposure Season 2
Married with Children Season 3

Northern Exposure is really disappointing because when Season 1 came out, and Season 2 was listed, I disagreed with the people who complained about the pricing, arguing that I felt the price was acceptable because of all the music in the episodes. I realized the higher price might jeopardize sales to casual fans of the show, but people who really loved the show like I did would be able to enjoy the shows as they had originally aired, which is one of the best selling points of the TV on DVD sets.

By making the changes Universal did with QL and NX, I don't feel Universal is offering something superior to what I can get in other ways. I can watch 'compromised' episodes of QL for free on Sci-Fi. Those shows are compromised by syndication cuts, but Universal's DVDs are compromised by the music replacement.

I personally prefer to watch the free syndicated version, and spend my money on other DVD sets I'll be satisfied with, than spend my money on something I'd be disappointed by, and thereby send Universal a message of "accepting" the music substitutions.

QL may never see a Season 3 because of this issue, but I'm also afraid that any Season 3 released could include 100% replacement of the original music IF Universal feels such changes are acceptable with fans, and such replacement could inflate the profit margin on the project. That is afterall Universal's goal, as well as obligation to its shareholders. If Wall Street investors are getting higher returns then everything's great, or so I've been told.

So I really wouldn't expect Universal to try harder to keep the music intact in the next set, IF the message our cash and credit cards sends is that we're just happy to have anything. The studio can offer rights holders a flat standard fee (which is my guess what happened with QL and NX ... since the replacements were numerous I don't picture Universal having tried to negotiate with the rights holder to each song) and anyone who doesn't take the standard fee gets replaced.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I am done with Quantum Leap after this season. I'll just record the episodes off the Sco Fi Channel from now on.

Paul

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to be a spoilsport ..but I still want Quantum Leap season 2 for christmas . The music issuees bother me but i love the show and i want more season sets in the future , As well as Married with children season 3 (I skip past the theme song anyway) Yes it does suck that they couldnt even pay for the rights for "Georgia on my mind " for QL and I HATE them for that but The main reason i want this show is that this was the ONLY show that my whole family would sit down together and watch ..and enjoy ....which was amazing to say the least. So every time I see the show via season 1 box set or in rerun on Scifi network I still feel that connection . So music snobbery aside , I still want QL season 2 because its still all about Sam and Al.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

Because very simply all it takes is a set adjustment to turn the color off on the TV and watch the show in black and white. Easy to do. Haven't found a switch yet that will pop in the scenes that are cut out. Oh, and besides, syndication cuts are not made by pulling out scenes. They chop dialogue out in pieces from all parts of the show, not just in a couple of chunks.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

However, this isn't giving you a true B&W image.

I don't collect too much TV on DVD but I've been lucky because I don't think anything I own has been cut. MARRIED WITH CHILDREN S3 will be "altered" but I really don't mind that. The show is too great (to me) to not own it.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I passed on Alf (Season 1) & Quantum Leap (Season 2). So far, those are the two big disappointments I've had.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I skipped Alf too.

I have just removed Quantum Leap season 2 from my wish list. If anyone bought it for me for xmas, it will be sent back unopened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks