What's new

Business lost: Shows you didn't buy due to alterations/cuts/music replacement (1 Viewer)

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I think a thread like this might be useful. Probably of very little influence like most online petitions, but it could serve to show the studios that we are not willing to accept every product they put out this way and that they lost our business for these sets.

For me most shows I buy are blind buys so I'm sure I have a few in my collection with alterations I'm not even aware about. I enjoyed these shows but when I learn they are altered I am still mad about it. To me it's like serving a vegetarian a meal with meat products in it and not telling him. He may enjoy the meal not knowing. If he later finds out saying "You liked the food anyway, why do you complain now?" is a poor excuse!

I think the industry isn't doing itself a favor by being dishonest not informing consumers BEFORE they buy the product. That goes beyond putting the info on the box because people who buy DVD's online still are at a disadvantage. So the various DVD sites should get info about cuts and alterations when the set is announced and post them of course.

Cuts and alterations are tragic for any show but some don't concern you because you're not a fan and probably wouldn't have bought the DVD's anyway.
So please only list DVD's you would have bought for sure, if they were complete and state the reason for you taking a pass on the set.

These shows I would have loved to buy but didn't:

Tour of Duty (music)
Northern Exposure S2 (music), have 1st season
Quantum Leap S2 (music), have 1st season

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I see the thread you linked more as a warning thread. This thread should contain shows people actually haven't bought because of the dilemmas TVDVD is facing now.
The "buyers beware" thread should only contain posts about altered shows and not much discussion so it doesn't get too confusing and stays easy to browse through. At least that's my opinion.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to say ALF: Season 1. I removed it from my wishlists after hearing it was the syndie versions.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Quantum Leap (music)
Too Close For Comfort (syndicated cuts)
Joey Bishop Show (no opening credits on all episodes)
Make Room For Daddy (syndicated cuts)

For awhile I refused to buy the B/W Avengers episodes with Diana Rigg because they lacked the "chessboard" opening used for American audiences and which was part of the A+E repeats. Eventually I relented when I had to realize that A+E wasn't going to do it over, and also I could rationalize that at least this was how it looked in Britain when first aired since the "chessboard" intro was done on later airings (it also helped that the "Best Of Original Avengers" set at least set aside the chessboard intro as a supplement so at least there is a record of its existence on DVD and I could look at it in the same way that Bugs Bunny/Road Runner intros are used on the Loony Tunes DVD sets).

JamesED

Second Unit
Ren and Stimpy S1&2.

I couldn't bring myself to buy John K's blame shifting and pathetic begging to still buy it and give good reviews on amazon.com.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Alf Season 1
Make Room For Daddy Season 5
Too Close For Comfort Season 1
Will and Grace Seasons 1-3 (was on the fence about this, but after hearing about the cuts on seasons 2 & 3 and the fact that this is the same company that put out Alf, I said "no thanks.")

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna get killed for this but I have to say that to not buy Ren And Stimpy because it's missing a fart joke or a shot of the Bloody Head Fairy is being a little anal retentive.

Yes, it's the principle that it says 'uncut' on the box and thus it should be uncut. It's your money and you can spend it how you want but it makes no sense to me to deprive yourself of something you enjoy just because it's missing a few SECONDS of footage.

It's a topic that everyone has their own opinion on (and I doubt I will change anyone's opinion) but to me it's nowhere near as bad as syndication edits or time compression or replacing music.

"Dawson's Creek" Season 3 and on.

I was pissed about all the music changes made to the Season 2 set, but I ended up buying it anyway.

But when Season 3 was released, the studio decided to drop the original songs AND the theme song. Screw that. They're not getting my money for a half-assed product. Do it right or don't do it at all. Even the video quality on the first 2 seasons was bad because they crammed like 4 or 5 episodes on 1 disc.

And I wish I had never spent the cash on the "21 Jump Street" first season. ALL of the 80s songs have been replaced and the episodes are syndicated. Unacceptable, especially from a company like Anchor Bay.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Quantum Leap is the main and most painful one, but I've also passed on the Sanford & Son sets since one episode from season 2 was missing one scene. That second example seems kind of extreme to me now, and I might relent if the mood hits me. It was easy to decide against continuing with Sanford since the show returned to TV Land around the time the DVDs first appeared.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Quantum Leap-Season 2

Combat-I'm on the fence about this one. From what I understand, the episodes are complete and uncut, but time-compressed.

Tour of Duty-I was going to buy this for my father as a gift because he liked the show but I passed due to the replacement music.

Sanford and Son-Greg described my situation perfectly, right down to the fact that TVLand is showing them now. From the other thread, it appears three episodes from a total of three seasons are cut.

Crime Story Season 1-I understand it contains replacement music.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm probably forgetting a few.

Edit-

Lost in Space Season 1( at least two edited episodes)

Married with Children Season 3-I'm not sure what I'm going to do here.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Quantum Leap S2 (music)
Northern Exposure S2 (music)
Too Close For Comfort S1 (synd cuts)
Ren And Stimpy S1 and 2 (cuts)
Make Room For Daddy S5 (cuts)
Married With Children S3 (music)
Kung Fu S1 (fake widescreen)

Randy

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Alf (syndication cuts; if I wanted those, I'd transfer the episodes I taped from a local station 10 years ago to DVD-R

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I have passed on is the Rocky and Bullwinkle season two. That network bug logo really pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks