Business and the "AGE" Factor (Mine)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James_S, Apr 19, 2004.

1. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Nov 3, 2000
    I believe that I am successful, but the one thing that holds me back in being very successful is my age. I am 36 going on 37 (next month). I have been is this line of work for close to 17 years. 10 years in the field and 7 as an estimator and Marketing Manager. When I negotiate for new jobs/contracts, I am usually meeting with people in there early or mid 50’s. Sometimes in a subtle way give you that “what does this young punk know?” I go in there and tell them what my company can do for them and the experience and knowledge the company and I have. I also answer all their questions completely and honestly. I feel that they can’t get over my age. I have gotten to the point that I feel I am not getting the contracts because of my age.

How do I get over this “hump”? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Dec 1, 2000

Or try to fake it. Do you act more like a 26 year old than a 36 or 46 year old? Perhaps dressing, acting, and speaking more like your prospective clients would put them at ease.

What are the subtle ways in which you get this feeling? How do you know you aren't getting a subtle "Company XYZ down the street gave me a better quote" instead?