What's new

Busby Berkley Box Set (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
In the last WB chat, it was announced that a Busby Berkeley box set was in the works for a 2005 release. Any word of what titles were selected for that collection?
I guess Dames, Gold Diggers of 1933, Footlight Parade, Wonder Bar and Gold Diggers of 1935 will make the list, but was wondering about the Garland/Rooney Babes musicals made in MGM. They had all been directed by Busby. Any news?

Charles H

Screenwriter
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY suggested that Fox is looking into a dvd of THE GANG'S ALL HERE--Berkeley's Technicolor extravaganza.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm all over this set whenever it is released. I've been eyeing the LD box on Ebay, but it always goes for more than I'm willing to pay.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'm guessing given WB's issues with the PC police, WONDER BAR will be scratched off the list...

"With a 'Glory be!', I'll be glad to see,
Abe Lincoln, the way he used to be, the man who set me free;
Yes I'm goin' up to heaven on a Missouri mule!"

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
I truly hope that if they do one Gold Diggers of 19XX, they do all three. 33 and 35 are definitely favorites, but it'd be a shame to not get them all for completion's sake. Why not do a couple smaller ones, three movies a piece (to keep price point down) and split the Gold Diggers films across them? I want these to have the possibility of selling well so that we see more sets like this, and I'm afraid if they try to sell a 60 dollar box, that people might not go for it as easily as a 30-40 dollar box.

TonyDale

Second Unit
I wouldn't discount WONDER BAR's appearance, when I did my cabaret devoted to the singing stars of early sound films, Warner Music was kind enough to grant me permission to SING "Goin' to Heaven on a Mule;" and even sent me several score versions of the song itself!
Of course, I prefaced the song with wit about the watermelons and the pork chop trees. Taken in its historical context, and judged on its own merits, the song works. Also, any Jolson collection would not be complete without it.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Tony, I agree with you completely; I was just referring to the recent brouhaha that occoured with the JAZZ SINGER DVD.

As for GOLD DIGGERS, I know for a fact that '33 will be part of the set along with the surviving two reels from GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY (the Technicolor version of 1929).

Marc^H

Agent
The Digital Bits reported last month that the long-promised Busby Berkeley box set is rumored to include "at least" GOLD DIGGERS of 1933, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, DAMES, and GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935.

Anyone know where this news came from?

Am hoping for great supplemental material on these. As far as LD & DVD, no Berkeley film has ever gotten a commentary or any kind of restoration. Come through for us, Warner Bros!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I just wish we would here something "official." This one has been rumored for the longest time and of course it is the one for which I have had the most anticipation.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Right now this is my most anticipated announcement, next to the John Ford set due next year, probably for Father's day! I would love for this to be released by the end of this year! It would be great if a Warner's night at the movies, was a feature on the discs, but with the 'play all' feature like the Gangsters set! Bring it on!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks