What's new

Burton's "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" teaser poster (1 Viewer)

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor

The older Depp gets, the younger he looks. Dick Clark must've loaned him the juice.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

And to think Depp is actually older than Wilder was when the original was made (40 vs. 37) :eek:

While it doesn't look as thoeugh Depp's Wonka will be quite like Wilder's, I'm still fascinated by the teaser.

Brandon B

Second Unit
No, Wilder was 37. Depp is 40.

My wife is particularly susceptible to the song. I keep playing it to lock up her brain for another hour.

BB

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yeah, I know. Am I the only one who immediately had a flashback to the creepy Halloween III: Season of the Witch song?

"Eight more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween...
Eight more days to Halloween...Silver Shamrock!"

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

Exactly what I was flashing back to! God help me when this trailer hits TV and that song will be on all the time!

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife is a huge Johnny Depp fan. Johnny Depp this. Johnny Depp that. Anyhow, she absolutely HATES the way he looks in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. She's actually thinking of boycotting this movie.

- Colton

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think it's his hair style - it's basically a dutch boy and it's not very flattering.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Y'know Jordan, I had the same thing in the back of my mind! I was going to express it "He looks more feminine/adrogynous than he ever has, and that's including Capt. Jack Sparrow!" :D

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looks to be a great - and truer - adaptation to Dahl's book. John August looks like he did a good job adapting it. One line from the trailer that isn't in the book but certainly sums up the book's heart is Charlie's: "Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy."

Also, August didn't see the first film version until after his initial draft, but he seems to have added some humorous nods to the original film, such as the "rehearsed" Oompa-Loompa number, and the psychedelic boat.

As for the Oompa-Loompa's being "bastardized", as I've seen some people claim on other message boards, all I can say is - have you read the book? The Oompa-Loompas, in the novel, are essentially people not too dissimilar to tribal Africans. One can't adapt strictly from the novel without being called a racist nowadays, and since August hadn't seen the original film he clearly made up his own more acceptable variation of them. No big deal, unless you are so biased in favor of the 1971 film you wouldn't give this film a fair shake anyway.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I had been pretty skeptical of this movie but this trailer has gone a long way in overcoming that. It looks fun! Johnny Depp seems to have the right approach to Wonka and also was likely right to grab the kid from Finding Neverland to play Charlie. I'm actually excited to see this now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks