Burton to do another remake

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Sievers, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I was reading an article in a film magazine today and it reports that Tim Burton is going to be remaking The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with Johnny Depp, Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder (Ron is going to be very excited - Winona and Burton again [​IMG] .
    Sounds like a very interesting cast though. Depp, Nicholson and Walken are right up there with my favorites.
    I haven't seen the original but could those who have post some thoughts.

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Never heard of the original, but this cast is amazing! I would definately see this.
    I just checked imdb.com, here's what the original is about.
    A man named Francis relates a story about his best friend Alan and his fiancée Jane. Alan takes him to a fair where they meet Dr. Caligari, who exhibits a somnambulist, Cesare, that can predict the future. When Alan asks how long he has to live, Cesare says he has until dawn. The prophecy comes to pass, as Alan is murdered, and Cesare is a prime suspect. Cesare creeps into Jane's bedroom and abducts her, running from the townspeople and finally dying of exhaustion. Meanwhile, the police discover a dummy in Cesare's cabinet, while Caligari flees. Francis tracks Caligari to a mental asylum. He is the director! Or is he?
    [​IMG]
    After reading that description I still don't know what the hell it is lol

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This is the first I've heard of such a project, but I certainly hope your article proves accurate! While I'm not normally a fan of remakes, Burton could have a field day working on this one. And that CAST! Wow!

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Speaking of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, which I think Burton would be great for, it makes me think of The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, which Burton would be perfectly suited for. But, I'll "settle" for Dr. Caligari.
    Bruce

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I was just on Rotten Tomatoes and there is a thread about this on their forum. I got it from the same magazine as the guy who started the thread. So if it doesn't pan out please don't blast me, i'm just passing on some information that I read.