Burt Reynolds Slaps Reporter

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Doug Miller, May 26, 2005.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    You have to see the link to believe it, pretty funny stuff:
    http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/loc...145094335.html

That was a pretty weak slap, you could tell it was joking... kind of. But what Burt Reynolds had to say about the kid's appearance was classic. Jesus, man, iron your shirt already you're at a friggin' premiere!

Doug

2. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Lazy reporter. Would it have killed him to take 2 hours out of his oh-so-precious time to watch the original so he at least has something worthwhile to speak of?

"Tell us a little about the movie." Lame.

How about asking him about the differences between the two versions or how he feels about another actor playing his role. Earn that big paycheck.

3. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

I've heard this all over the radio, and thought Reynolds had killed the poor reporter...

...but seeing the slap, you clearly see its more as a joke (even though reynolds is really angry), and I wonder whatthe fuss is all about.

Medias can be so stupid sometimes.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Jesus. Watch the producer sue for that or something. I thought it was pretty playful.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Burt used to slap around poor Dom DeLuise all the time in those movies and I bet he just had a Cannonball Run flashback going there![​IMG]

6. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

The media in those clips overplayed it as usual, and it's not a suing offense, but Reynolds was out of line. I think he was taking years of frustration with fluffy Hollywood publicity out on that guy. It didn't matter whether the reporter had seen the original (I haven't), he's not asking about the movie for his own information.

It's a premiere red carpet, not Inside the Actor's Studio.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Is it just me or does Burt go to the same plastic surgeon has Michael Jackson, OMG.

8. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Sure it does. The more informed you are, the better questions you can ask. And it shows an interest for what you are covering and not just fulfilling a job obligation. The guy should have seen the original.

9. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

The entertainment reporter (AKA shill) was trying to sell the movie to his viewers. Of course he was going to ask what the movie is about. It's his job, and Reynolds should know how to play the game of 'you rub my back' by now. The Longest Yard isn't exactly Star Wars. Maybe he's still smarting from his lastest (and simply awful) facelift.

10. Steve Felix

Exactly. The reporter is doing Reynolds and the studio a favor by demeaning himself asking stupid questions that can be answered with, "Well, there's a lot of comedy, a lot of action, it's very exciting, I think people'll really like it."

In return, the station gets a feel good celebrity fluff piece. It's a time-honored tradition, and if Reynolds doesn't like it, he shouldn't be in a remake of The Longest Yard.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Wow! Has publicity finally overtaken the movie being publicized? Whether he kisses some mid-level CBS producer's ass or not should have no bearing on his placement in the film in question.

Did you consider the fact that made he's old enough and rich enough where he doesn't need to play the game any more and can actually express himself with honesty? And it's not like he beat the shit out of the guy; he was just joking around. Leave it to the media to be unable to take the joke.

12. Steve Felix

His dealing with mid-level CBS producers has direct bearing on his placement in the film. If he took money for the performance, he's expected to publicize it, and it is too late to stop playing the game on this film. It is part of what he was paid for. He signed up for it.

Next time he can do whatever he wants, including negotiating his way out of publicity, but then he won't be worth as much. What I meant by the comment you quoted is that this is precisely the type of movie that would most need and expect junk press.

That mid-level producer was there playing along with the system that made Reynolds rich, and got mean-spiritedly and thoroughly put down in return.

Reynolds wasn't just joking, although he tried to play it off that way. I'd welcome his rebellion against shallow movie coverage if he'd acknowledge that he has, first, himself to blame.

13. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Wow, let's encourage the lowering of the bar in the world of journalism.

14. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

It is wrong to physically touch someone like that no matter what their intention. And I'm pretty sure the Bandit knows better.

15. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    He seemed pissed off when he slapped him, and every joke slap I ever got was a lot less firm than that...if someone mouthed off to me like that, then slapped me in such a condescending way the fight would be on and he'd be getting decked!!

No matter which way you look at it, it's assault. If they guy presses charges Burt's in trouble!

And what's with the "stunned eye witnesses" nobody in the crowd seemed to even notice!

16. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

Since when was entertainment reporting journalism? Have you ever heard of Louella Parsons? Entertainment 'reporting' is, and always has been, nothing more than a mutual admiration society. Journalistic ethics were left at the door when sound films arrived. You suck up to the talent and they agree to answer stupid questions to sell their movie.

In this case, you don't have to look very far to see what the reporter was trying to do. CBS and Paramount are owned by Viacom. Paramount produced The Longest Yard. The reporter was from CBS. Do I have to go on?

17. Adam Lenhardt

If that's assault I feel bad for the state of America. When did we all collectively lose our balls?

18. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Journalism: (1) The collecting, writing, editing, and presenting of news or news articles in newspapers and magazines and in radio and television broadcasts.
    (2) Material written for publication in a newspaper or magazine or for broadcast.

(2b) the profession of reporting or photographing or editing news stories for one of the media

I guess for awhile.

19. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Damn.

I'd have left and gotten a lawyer immediately.

I wouldn't let someone I KNOW touch me like that, nevermind a jackass has-been like Burt Reynolds.

20. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark

Don't know about the states but here in Canada Section 265 of the Criminal code states...

A person commits assault when

a) without the consent of the other person, he applies force intentionally to the other person, directly or indirectly;
    b)he attempts or threatens, by an act or gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or
    c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof,he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

I'm writting this from memory so it may not be exactly worded like I did above but that's the jist of it.

Put it another way...your wife is doing the same thing this poor shmuk was and Burt Reynolds slaps her in the face...would you consider it assault then?

By definition and word of law it's assault! Is the reporter an idiot...you bet!! He should have punched Reynolds right in the head or the very least slapped his teeth out...but then he'd be stigmatized as young punk who picks on old men and Reynolds would be on TV crying about how the kid can't take a joke! [​IMG]