1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Burst ear drum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

So what happens when you burst an ear drum and how do you know that it has happened? Is there a special color of goo? A particular amount of goo? What's your hearing like just after it bursts? Does the bursting make a sound? How long does it take to heal? Is there any risk of permanent damage?
    Too many questions? [​IMG]
    Here's my story:
    Last Thursday I had a sinus headache all day long. By the evening my right ear was feeling plugged up. By night that plugged ear developed into a full blown ear ache that kept me up until 2:30am. It eventually began to make popping noises that first night that helped to temporarily releave the pain, but as the pressure built up again the pain would come right back.
    So Friday I went into the doctor. Just before going I noticed a little bit of wetness in that ear. I used a cotton swab to gently swipe out some of the goo. It had a slight yellowish color to it. The doctor said it was very enflamed, but the ear drum had not ruptured, but might if I try to "decompress" by holding my nose and blowing (which I would never do, but he just gave me a warning). Or it could even burst on its own. I told him about the goo and he said there might be a small leak, but he didn't see any hole. He gave me some antibiotics to fight the infection.
    Over the weekend my ear continued to drain occasionally. When I'd wake up in the morning my ear would be a little crusty from the drainage. Usually the crust was yellowish, but sometimes there was a red hue. By Sunday evening the drainage stopped completely and hasn't done it any more. Also, it feels plugged with an occasional dull ache, but tollerable. Advil takes away the pain completely. I can't hear anything in that ear. Put your hand up against your ear and that's exactly what I'm experiencing.
    I have a follow up appointment with the doctor in a week, but I'm really concerned about the long lasting effects it will have on my hearing and I'd like some answers soon. I've been trying to get in touch with my doctor over the phone all day yesterday and today with no success. I either get forwarded to the exchange service or their phone is busy (I think they keep it off the hook most of the day).
    As you can imagine, home theater with only half your hearing just isn't as fun. I watched Moulin Rouge again Sunday night and while still an enjoyable movie, I could barely hear it. [​IMG] (What sound stage?)

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

[​IMG]

3. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I would say you can't hear because there is still a heck of a build up of fluid in your inner ear. It's not going to go away quickly. Draining is the only way to get the fluid out and it has two ways to go- out your ear canal or down into your throat. Think of your eardrum like a lid on a Pringles can full of water. If water was going to get around the lid, the lip of the lid would come unsealed from the can in one spot just enough to let the fluid out. It would take some mighty forces indeed to break the lid in the middle causing permanant ear damage! Even then, there are procedures they could use to repair the ear drum. (i.e. Skin grafting) And I think it wouldn't feel just like a hand over your ear. It would be real hearing loss not a "muffled or plugged" feeling.

Luckily for you Advil takes care of your discomfort.

Ace

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Thanks Ace. That helps to relieve some of my anxioty. I'm still kind of wondering (from those who have experienced it perhaps) what your hearing is like just after your ear drum bursts. Is the pressure greatly relieved? Does it hurt or feel better? How is your hearing affected?

5. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I can help here. I had a punctured ear drum and had it fixed about 6 months ago.

Before the operation, I could really see a difference in levels and the right side was a lot lower. I was setting my Balance setting at around 7 or 8 to compensate!

The operation went perfectly, after about a week, they removed the bandages but the right side was still a lot weaker and what I heard on that side was very distorted, and sounded like a 24kbps or less MP3! But fortunately, that annoyance didn't last, within a week it was back to normal...

The other problem is, the "New" ear drum is basically a piece of skin they took from behind my ear and patched it. According to the doctor, since it's thicker and less flexible than what the original ear drum was, it will take maybe a year or so before it fully recovers and that the new skin gains in flexibility. So I start losing a few dBs at about 400-450hz and (As of last month) is about 12 dBs weaker on the right side at 55hz. This will go on improving, I really hope that I eventually regain full hearing on my right ear but for now, I have less bass on the right side.