Burnt "pixel" on an RPTV??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by OlegT, Dec 29, 2005.

1. OlegT

OlegT Auditioning

Hey everyone,

I have no idea how to properly explain this, but I'll give it my best.

I have a Hitachi 51F510 HD RPTV. I've had it for just over a year now without any problem, but the other day I noticed a single "dot" on the TV that is purely light. Imagine shining a flashlight through clear glass, that is what it looks like, and is about the size of a pixel on an LCD display.

Now I did not think that burnt pixels were a possibility on non-LCD projection screens...am I wrong in thinking this?

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks for any help.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since the monitor is CRT-based, there should be no burnt pixels; it has no pixels whatsoever. Just where does this anomoly appear on the screen? And how bright is it?

3. John S

John S Producer

Something is fooling you here. As stated above by the Great Jack Briggs. I have seen some sort of once liquid but solidified goup drip spot sort of thing cause something that looks like this on the lenticular screen before though. Hard to say from the description though.

4. OlegT

OlegT Auditioning

Thanks Jack, I was thinking this was the case....

The appropriately-named "anomaly" appears on the bottom quarter of the screen, approx. 3-4" left of the center of the screen. To give you a slightly better idea, no matter what DVD I watch, regardless of it's aspect ratio, the dot is always above the black bar but not by much.

As to how bright it is, I suppose that's relative. I'd say it is quite bright, but I would be hard pressed to see it on a purely white screen. Though it is not white or opaque, it's more clear/translucent......

Hope that helps somewhat....

5. John S

John S Producer

Sounds like a drip / goo / spot of something on your lenticular screen. Maybe even behind the anit-glare screen.

It can look as you describe.

6. OlegT

OlegT Auditioning

Hmmm...OK, it's something I can look into, though I'm not farmiliar with the term lenticular screen, could you possibly clarify a bit on that.

That aside, I've tried to clean it with a soft damp cloth etc. and see if I could feel an irregularity (like a bump, etc.) on that spot and can't, so I would think it is underneath the top layer of the screen....

Finally, any idea if my warranty would cover it? I bought an extended one from one of our Canadian "big box" stores. I just don't want to call the warranty people, take the day off to meet the guy and have him say "Sorry, we don't cover screen-goo" [​IMG]

Thanks again

7. John S

John S Producer

Probably not covered. but yes, sometimes (I have never figured out how) dust / dirt / a drop will somehow get behind the anti-glare screen or in between the screen sandwich. You have a few layers of stuff in bewteen the outside of your screen and the inside of your set. One of these is called the Lenticular screen which is where the image is really formed that you see when viewing.