What's new

Burnout 3: Takedown- jeez, that game looks awesome! (1 Viewer)

Marc Bax

Second Unit
The game is amazing the most fun I've EVER had with a racing game. The first day I got it I spent 6 hours straight unlocking cars to compete online and was still only like 15% finished with the single player mode. The online play is excellent as well. Custom soundtracks really add to the experience as well. 10 out of 10 in XBN only the 5th game to get that score. I agree it's perfect.

Kami

Screenwriter
I picked this up today and I can't remember having this much fun with a racing game since Destruction Derby 2 and the very first Need for Speed.

This game is simply a blast to play. The sense of speed is unrivaled, the arcade-like sounds kick ass (love the boost sound, makes the room shake!), the graphics are awesome...maybe not the best in the world technically but they are among the best. No other game has such great damage effects either.

I think Road Rage is my favorite mode. I haven't unlocked too many cars yet but let me tell you, the Muscle class 1 car is badass for this racing mode. It's weight lets you take out your opponents much easier - I've taken out as many as 26 opponents in a single run! I played for at least 6 hours today and the stats screen says I have unlocked only 12% of the game.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The most fun I've had with my Xbox since I first got Halo.

Biggest gripe is not being able to save replays. Also the music and announcer just plain suck, thankfully they can both be turned off :) It is definitely deserving of the 95% scores it is getting. With a nice soundtrack, the ability to save replays, and control your camera during the "bullet-time" aftertouch thing this game would easily be a 98 or 99 out of 100 for me.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Ummmm.....After looking at the video, this game is A LOT like Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast. Even some of the "ching" sound effects sound VERY similar.

This looks a lot like Hydro Thunder with cars instead of boats. Not that it's a bad thing, I *loved* Hydro Thunder.

I will be picking this up this weekend.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Hydro Thunder can't hold a candle Burnout 3.

And Kami you can use custom soundtracks and have any music you want, it's MUCH better this way.

Shawn C

Screenwriter

Well, duh. I'm sure.. It just seems like a successor to Hydro Thunder. The "style" of the graphics is very similar, at least what I have seen in videos.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
The video's are misleading then. Hydro Thunder was alright but the comparison isn't really accurate. All they have in common is that they're arcade style racers.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea I love both games. I think Buronout is a tad more fun at the moment, a lot of that has to do with custom soundtracks, but to say HT doesn't hold a candle to it is wrong. There's nothing like the feeling you get from making a 15 story jump in a speed boat. :D

Right now I'm frustrated with B3. I can't get top 3 in the dumb F-1 Grand Prix, always fall to last in the final lap. :frowning:

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Me too, Scott. Seems like once you crash, its dead last for you.

Lovin this game! And I loved Hydro Thunder...wish they would re-release it at some point. Not that its going to happen, but still.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
i played this at my friends' house last week.. it was awesomely fast...

Marc Bax

Second Unit

Well maybe that's just me but I've alawys found Midways arcade racers to be overly simplistic. With Burnout you have 17 different modes of play and a much bigger overall sense of scale.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, I picked up the game over the weekend and had a ball playing it. After playing it for a while, I see that the gameplay isn't anything like Hydro Thunder, but the graphics still remind me of it.

I guess it must be the boost that reminds me so much of Hydro Thunder. The effect is just so close, I can't get it out of my head. That, and the big floating arrows on the sides of the tracks just remind me of it.

An excellent game that I will be playing for a while!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone gotten all golds on this game. I just can't get that last gold on the Waterfront Burning Lap using the Hot Rod.

I have tons of near misses by just a tenth of a second or so. It's making me nuts.

- nevermind, about 15 attempts after posting this I finally did it. It must have taken 300 tries though. Pretty painful.

Users who are viewing this thread