What's new

Burning home movies to DVD? What quality? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
At what quality should I render my home video when I am done before burning?

I am currently using Windows Movie Maker 2 (not a bad prog) and decided to use the bes it can do. 720x480 NTSC 2.1Mbps. I both copied and rendered at that quality. Is this too much?

I will be using MYDVD by Sonic to burn to DVD which I assum will take the WMV file and transfer it to MPEG-2 for burning?

The questions...

Is this quality higher than the DVD will use and thus I am wasting my time rendering such a huge file when it will not even be utilized for DVD.

Thanks for any help,

C. Ryan

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
2.1 Mbps (megabits) is way too low for full-res 720x480 MPEG-2. Typical bitrate might be about 6Mbps. Movie Maker might be using the WM9 codec -- dunno what the typical bitrates are for that, except that they would be lower.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, that is what I was actually wondering. I have no idea either, but this is the highest qaulity Movie Maker can copy and render at.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

What format was your home movie in originally? If it was shot with a DV camera, you should use a program such as WinDV to make an exact copy of the video to your hard drive.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, I am trying what was to me the easiest solution - this is for my sister. She needs quick and easy. If I start pointing out 6 different programs with 10 different steps, she will never do it.

It is from DV tape btw,

Thanks,

C. Ryan

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, I am trying what was to me the easiest solution - this is for my sister. She needs quick and easy. If I start pointing out 6 different programs with 10 different steps, she will never do it.

It is from DV tape btw,

Thanks,

C. Ryan

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Then WinDV would be the best way to transfer the video from the camera to the hard drive. (They will be saved as AVI files.) If she doesn't need to add titles or effects or anything, then the AVI files can be encoded to MPEG-2 without using Windows Movie Maker at all.

For basic editing (such as trimming out boreing parts), I would recommend VirtualDub.

(Both VirtualDub and WinDV are free, BTW.)

If she needs to use Windows Movie Maker to add titles or anything, then I think Movie Maker can also save files in DV AVI format.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Then WinDV would be the best way to transfer the video from the camera to the hard drive. (They will be saved as AVI files.) If she doesn't need to add titles or effects or anything, then the AVI files can be encoded to MPEG-2 without using Windows Movie Maker at all.

For basic editing (such as trimming out boreing parts), I would recommend VirtualDub.

(Both VirtualDub and WinDV are free, BTW.)

If she needs to use Windows Movie Maker to add titles or anything, then I think Movie Maker can also save files in DV AVI format.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like pinnacle studio. i'm using v8, but there's a newer one. it's totally simple to use and works quite well.

for making dvd's, there's some setting called "best video" -- which i assume is the best i can get for dvd.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like pinnacle studio. i'm using v8, but there's a newer one. it's totally simple to use and works quite well.

for making dvd's, there's some setting called "best video" -- which i assume is the best i can get for dvd.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Thank you for the responses. I am actually using MyDVD for the DVD burning part. I guess now I am looking at streamlining this.

Right now I am going through three VERY long rendering processes. One to capture; One to save as .wmv; One to convert to Mpeg2 during the burning process.

I mean this is a dedicated machine running at 2.5ghz with 1g ram and a dedicated SATA hard drive for video. This is all just taking much longer than I estimated.

Any help on cutting the number of renderings down?

Thanks again,

C. Ryan

CRyan

Screenwriter
Thank you for the responses. I am actually using MyDVD for the DVD burning part. I guess now I am looking at streamlining this.

Right now I am going through three VERY long rendering processes. One to capture; One to save as .wmv; One to convert to Mpeg2 during the burning process.

I mean this is a dedicated machine running at 2.5ghz with 1g ram and a dedicated SATA hard drive for video. This is all just taking much longer than I estimated.

Any help on cutting the number of renderings down?

Thanks again,

C. Ryan

CRyan

Screenwriter
Sounds good. What program do you suggest for this? Also, what program can edit add transition etc to MPEG2 files without having to rencode to another file format?

Thanks...

CRyan

Screenwriter
Sounds good. What program do you suggest for this? Also, what program can edit add transition etc to MPEG2 files without having to rencode to another file format?

Thanks...

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I capture DV in Windows Movie Maker ALL the time for video production for my church and some school productions. It will let you save in DV/AVI format. After editing, I just pull the .avi file into Ulead or Nero or Roxio, and create my DVDs and VCDs from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks