Burning Hi-8 tapes to DVD vis computer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I have a library of approx 15 hi-8 tapes originally recorded on my Sony handycam. I have converted 10 of them to DVD with no problems--their are 5 that I cannot convert to DVD. These 5 happen to be the oldest--anywhere from 2 to 3 1/2 yrs old. The software I am using on my HP computer works fine for the 1st 4 seconds or 2.5 MB, then it assumes the tape is done and attempts to burn it on the DVD. Anyone have this type of problem--is it the older tapes? I am using Arcsoft Showbiz DVD software provided to me w/ the HP DVD Burner. I do not want to pay the $35.00 per tape to get them burned aftermarket--I should be able to do this on my computer. What is it about the older tapes??? Thanks.

Mac

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

sounds like corrupt timecode on the tape

Is there a button to have it ignore tape timecode?

Are you doing straight or a batch cap?

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Do not understand your question--amateur here!! The tapes are TDK HI-8. There are no buttons on the tapes. They play fine via the computer when hooked up w/ firewire, but it just will not record more than 2.5 MB--everytime!! I get the same thing when I try to burn it to the hard drive or straight to a dvd.

Mac

4. Jeff Kleist

What I mean, are you trying to use the batch capture function, or are you just pressing "record" on the computer.

By timecode, I mean the timecode on the tape that tells the computer the position. Does it stop at a point where the tape was stopped when you were shooting the footage?

5. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I don't believe he has time code on his tape. My impression is that it's an analog camcorder.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff, analog tape can still record timecode

7. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

>>analog tape can still record timecode

Chances are that Mac's HI-8 camcorder did not record timecode and that he has some other problem. I am not familiar with that software or the HP DVD Burner.

You might try dubbing one of the Hi-8 tapes to VHS, or S-VHS if possible, and then try inputting them into your computer. See what happens then. It isn't the best solution because your video quality will drop but it might help troubleshoot in the long run and it you have a decent S-VHS deck the results probably wouldn't be to bad.

I ran into a problem last year trying to get a VHS-C tape that a friend had recorded to work with my computer, I ended up dubbing it to DVD-RAM with a seperate DVD burner. I could never get the VHS-C tape to work running into my computer for some reason. Frustrating. Plus the quality wasn't that good to start but the dub to DVD-RAM didn't hurt to bad.

Good luck,
    Glenn

8. Mac

Mac Agent

Glen

How do I connect my VCR to my computer?? Sounds like a great idea, but all I have is a DV(firewire) input on my computer. Also, do not know if I have a timecode issue--each of the 5 HI-8 tapes stops at exactly the same place--2.5 MB, some shots are long and some are shorter, but they all stop at the exact same MB. Thanks.

Mac

9. Jeff Kleist

Check your camcorder manual, it may convert the signal.

Have you tried re-capturing from one of the other tapes just to make sure it's not an issue with your puter?

10. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mac,

>>How do I connect my VCR to my computer?? Sounds like a great idea, but all I have is a DV(firewire) input on my computer.

As jeff said, you might be able to pass the VCR signal through your camcorder. This may or may not work but it is worth a quick try. Just don't do a 2 hour test tape on the first try. [​IMG]

Also as Jeff said, have you gone back and retried any of the tapes that you were successful at already? Maybe something happened with your computer?

Good luck,
    Glenn