Burning Body Fat

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samuel Des, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

In practice, what regimen (to include diet) has produced the best body fat burning results for you? I realize that metabolisms may differ; I just wanted to read a sample of experiences.

2. Mark Tomlin

Mark Tomlin Agent

-Samuel-
    What has worked best for me is doing about 20 minutes of interval cardio training 4-5 times a week first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I have dropped my body-fat from 9% to 6% in four weeks. Obviously, dieting plays a big if not the biggest part of dropping body-fat. Try to cut out starches and drink a lot of water. Hope this helps. For more info, go to www.bodyforlife.com.

3. Samuel Des

Mark - Those are astonishing results! I am genuinely happy for you. [​IMG] Do you use supplements?
    Edit You mentioned starches/sugars. Does this mean that Slim Fast diets are bad?

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    You don't have to and should not cut out carbohydrates. That is a terrible misconception. Complex carbohydrates are the bodies main source of energy. A diet low in fat and high in carbs is the best approach. "Low fat" means that total calories from fat should not exceed 30%.

Very important in shedding body fat is exercise. Briskly walking for at least 30 minutes per day is a very effective exercise. You need to up your heart rate, but not too much. If you can hold a conversation or if you are able to speak without huffing and puffing and working to get those words out, you are probably going at a good rate.

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The ideal aerobic workout is getting your heart rate to between 60-85% of your maximum heart rate, and sustaining it for at least half an hour, at least three days a week. Your maximum heart rate is 220 beats per minute minus your age, so if you are 30 years old, your target heart rate is 114-161. In this example, anything less than 114 is not doing you much good, and keeping it higher than 161 is potentially dangerous and doesn't yield better results. Now, within that range of 114-161, you will burn more fat if you stay on the lower side, whereas you will become better conditioned on the higher side of the range. I usually try for the middle, unless I am training for a particular event or sport.

There are many affordable heart rate monitors on the market, but even better, most good quality treadmills and bikes have them built in.

6. Samuel Des

Brian - That's a good tip. I like to keep my aerobic exercise intense, and wondered why I hadn't seen results (save for endurance benefits). Why is it that the lower rate burns more fat?

7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

8. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Excercising in the morning is best since your metabolism is purported to be highest. Don't eat breakfast yet and your body will look to burn those fats first as opposed to what you just ate. It's hard but it really helps. I also find that running is the most efficient fat burning excercise. Over the last 6 months, I've lost about 30 pounds and that's from running everyday for the first 4 months for about 3 miles a day. Unusually, I never had to modify my diet since I love to eat too much. What did happen is that as I shrank, so did my appetite. For the last 2 months, I've been running every other day.

9. Mark Tomlin

Mark Tomlin Agent

-Samuel-

I would NEVER advocate cutting carbs out of your diet. The rule of thumb is to eat 2/3 "wet" carbs (fruits & vegetables)and 1/3 "dry" carbs (whole grain breads, potatoes, oatmeal, etc.). Your serving size of proteins and carbs should be about the size of your palm (unless you're Shaq) and you should eat every two to three hours 5-6 times a day. The prevailing wisdom to cut bodyfat is to build more muscle because the fact is the more muscle you possess the more calories you burn. That is not to say cardio doesn't play a major role, but weight-training is the best path to cutting fat. Try to workout about 3-4 times a week no more than 45 minutes to 1 hour per session at a brisk pace and combine that with cardio sessions of between 20-45 minutes (I find 20 minutes works for me) 3-4 times per week and implement a sensible nutrition plan and you will be very happy with your results. STAY AWAY from fad diets like the Atkins diet. Good Luck!

BTW- To answer your question, yes, I do use supplements. I don't use any fat-burners like Hydroxycut but rather meal-replacements and protien powders to make sure I am getting enough calories and protien in my diet. There's no way I can eat 5-6 normal meals in a day. I use Myoplex by EAS and a whey protien powder made by Champion Nutrition. Both are available at Hi-Health or GNC but cheaper sources are available. I also use creatine or glutamine intermittently.

10. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Mark, looks like someone follows the bodyforlife diet. [​IMG] I did that for a while at the beginning of my schoolyear, but the 6 meals a day was getting too hard to plan. I'll say from experience and watching a few others try out this diet, it works a lot. For a skinny guy such as myself, don't expect to really lost a lot of the fat you barely have, but rather a decent increase in muscle mass. It seems to me this protein-concerned diet really works more effectively for people who have fat to lose.

11. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Xenadrine. Xenadrine. Xenadrine
    Now probably just approved for legal use in your state.
    Take it until you feel like you are going to have a heart attack, then stop for a few months and resume.
    Me and many of my friends are on this and it seem to not work like magic, but pretty good still

12. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

I have to say the 'No Carbs' detractors are wrong ... If you want to lose fat quickly the carbs have to get cut ... All bobybuilders do it to get ripped ...

Now that being said it's not very healthy ... When you dip under 100g of carbs per day (range varies per person but usually 50 - 100)your body goes into ketosis ...

The liver converts the foods you eat into fuels ...

The protein ... complex carbohydrates & fat that you eat ... and the protein ... carbohydrates & fat in your body ... can all be used to fuel your body functions ... First ... the liver converts them into chemicals the body's tissues can use as fuel ... It converts carbs into a simple sugar ... glucose ... this will fuel most body functions.

It converts any excess protein you eat ... over and above what you need to replace the proteins in your body ... into glucose as well ... It converts the fats into chemicals called ketone bodies ... Once these conversions are made ... the liver exports the glucose and ketone bodies into the blood stream for distribution to the tissues for use as fuel ...

Most of your organs run well off of ketones ... Except for the brain and that's why ppl are usually cranky on low or no carb diets ...

Your body then looks for an alternative source to burn as fuel ... Stored body fat ... This is why you eat high protein on these diets ... It's to replace the protein your muscles need so they won't become catabolic ... Catabolic is burning muscle as fuel and is why starvation diets are garbage ... yeah you lose weight but it's normally not just fat ...

Ok ... enough of all that ...

Now here's my suggestions ...

1. Water ... Make sure you're staying hydrated ... At least a gallon a day ...

2. Cardio ... 1st thing in the morning ... At least 5 days a week ...

3. Carbs ... Get rid of the simple carbs ... soda, candy, chips all have to go ...

4. Weight training ... more lean body mass means a higher metabolic rate ...

5. If you're in good health get a good fat burner ... hydroxycut or Xenadrine work great ...

Ok and here's an important step ... If you stray from your diet ... Do not wait to get back on it ... Lots of ppl do this and say I'll get back on it on Monday ... NO ... your next meal go back to it ... This makes a major difference ...

13. Samuel Des

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Xenadrine contains ephedra. The University of Arkansas College of Pharmacy discovered half of ephedrine products are up to 20 percent inconsistent in their potency. Ephedra and ephedrine are associated with increased risk of stroke. Over the past decade, the FDA has recorded 1,200 consumer complaints against ephedra products, including 70 deaths. My advice is to stay away from these products.

(Information from a quick internet search, but these dangerous effects have been widely publicized.

15. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    No, they aren't wrong. Sam C, no offense, but there is a lot of misinformation when it comes to this subject. Suggesting this type of diet and supplements like Xendrine are proof of that. The best thing to do is a lot of research on the internet and consult a dietitian. Not all bodybuilders cut the carbs to get ripped. I know a few serious bodybuilders who don't do this.
    This link details some of the detriments of a low-carb diet. Read this and then tell me if going into a diet like this without proper consultation is beneficial.
    I was able to lose 85 pounds and maintain the weight loss for 7 years due to a low-fat, high-carb diet while walking 3-5 days per week.

16. Samuel Des

Hi Dr. Tom G -

Thanks for getting back to me with that info. The information on the ketogenic diets is an eye-opener. It is so hard to find good, trustworthy information. I have a slight heart murmur, and my cholesterol is 260, so I wouldn't even think of pursuing such a strategy. Plus, it just sounds unhealthy.

I am on level 19 out of 20 on the stairmaster (the one with the bars that are straight up) for 30 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of low intensity work on the cross country ski machine. I finish the aerobic routine with 1.5 minutes on the ab roller. Then I lift for about 45 mins to 1 hr.

I do this 7 days a week, save for holidays, &c. I'd say I do this about 300 days out of the year. I have been doing this specific routine for about 1.5 years. I keep up with my routine because I like the way it keeps me competitive in sports.

But I haven't lost any weight. This has been very frustrating. I have great stamina for sports; barring onset of lower backaches and knee pain, I really can run all day! I just don't have the build I seek. I am 5'10" and 190 lbs. I look like a fat goon! :b

I'd like to get down to 160, around the weight in my "playing days." The thing is, I was 160 about three years ago. I started this more active routine once the pounds started. (I am now 32 yo.) It has stablized my weight; I'm not gaining anymore. But I just can't seem to lose it.

The opening line to the ketogenic article made me realize that it is probably my diet. The gym is so full of conflicting advice! The people I talked to say that the amount of calories I take in doesn't matter, because my workout is so strenuous.

In fact, now that I think of it, my eating habits are awful. I didn't even notice it until I reflected on it. I eat my meals at night, and eat very little during the day. D'Oh. I've answered my own questions.

Well, thanks for listening to me whine about myself. :b

Regards,

Sam

PS - The link to the Alternative Medicine article is down.

17. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

Sam,

Based on my own research into this stuff, it sounds to me like you're overtraining. That might be why you're not seeing the expected results. Especially for weight training, most of the recommendations I've seen call for no more than 3x/week, working different muscle groups each time. You need to allow time for the muscles to heal - if you aren't doing that, they'll never get bigger. Bigger muscles will burn more calories throughout the day, helping out the weight/fat loss situation. Aerobic should still be about 5x/week.

I'm also currently doing the Body-for-Life program and seeing good results. That's not my only source of information though.

Hope that helps,

Lary

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You are what you eat. So if you make a list of everything you eat (currently) over the course of a week, and examine the contents of the food, and the time of day you consumed them, you'll probably see a pattern of food consumption that is at odds with your desire for weight loss.

You may have also "plateau'd" in your exercise routine, and need to shock the system with different forms of exercise. It's common for the body to adjust to certain caloric intake and exercise level by matching your metabolic rate with the routine, thus inhibiting your goal of weight losss.

Besides getting plenty of water per day, also get plenty of sleep (something people overlook).

19. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Xenadrine, to quote Star Wars
    Xenadrine is of the dark side. Quicker. Less work, but will consume you in the end

20. millercv

millercv Second Unit

For a "Fad" it has certainly been around for a long time... and NO one has been able to provide any medical proof for any of the risks mentioned
    from http://www.vitaminusa.com/lowdietittox.html