What's new

Burning and Playing VCDs? (1 Viewer)

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I tried burning a VCD to a CD-R to see if it would play on my Toshiba SD1600. I've heard the player is compatible with VCDs. The CD-R did not work, the player showed "Disc Error" on the display. I did some more research and found out that the player needs CD-RW, so I burned it again onto a re-writable disc. The same error occurred.
I'm not sure if it is a formating problem with the disc, I used Nero and followed a proven method, or if the player cannot play VCDs at all.
Has anyone else tried this, or heard of these issues before? It would be nice to burn some Simpsons episodes or download the first two episodes of Star Trek Enterprise that I missed :)
Thanks for any info!

JoeDelan

Stunt Coordinator
It is probably nero...

There are other programs out there that are better than Nero. You might need to do a 1x-1x copy.

Try burning the CD at the Lowest Speed 1x and see if that works.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
try different CDRW's. I find that some work on my panny and some don't. Typically the memorex ones work fine for me so maybe try one of those. I did try making a VCD of the EPII trailer and while it did work it had a few glitches in it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Technically, the SD1600 was never sold as being able to play either CD-R or CD-RW discs. Some CD-RWs might work, but it's a crap shoot.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
My Tosh SD-1200 play VCD's without any problems. Of course they must be burned onto CD-RWs, but that's ok. I use Roxio EZCD 5 Platinum to create the VCDs (of FOX's Family Guy). I have tried Nero and never got it to work correctly, but have never had a problem with EZCD.

My advice: try EZCD and see if it works for you as well.

Good luck!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
There are other programs out there that are better than Nero.
i very much disagree. Nero is the best prgm to burn CDs IMO. i know alot about this stuff so trust me here.

i've burned 100% successful VCDs using Nero and my Panny RP91. the speed you burn at doesnt make any difference. just make sure you select the right options. if you have version 5.5.0.3 or higher i'll talk you thru it, although i think it might be your player's fault.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Make a direct disc-to-disc copy of an audio CD onto a CD-R or CD-RW. When (if) you find a make/brand of disc that plays reliably in your player, then you can try making a VCD.

vcdhelp.com contains sample video or CD-image files that you can burn with Nero to try VCD compatibility.

//Ken

Jeff

Supporting Actor
If the latest version of Nero doesn't work, then you won't have much luck I'm afraid. I've never had a problem with Nero and my Panasonic RV80 and Pioneer DV-343.

Jeff

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I'm making very small baby steps. I copied an audio cd to a cd-rw and it played fine.:emoji_thumbsup: Then, I went to vcdhelp.com and downloaded the NTSC bin/cue image and burned it with Fireburner. The disc spins up in the player and I could hear the pickup trying to read it, but it ended up giving me a disc error message.
Does this mean my player will not play a VCD, or is it just another formatting problem that I should try and resolve? It's quite time consuming as my burner can only burn cd-rws at 2x.:thumbsdown:

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
While the Toshiba SD-1600 will play VCD's it will not read cd-r's. Your only option is to burn them on cd-rw's or get a different dvd player that supports cd-r.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
If you can't get it to work with a CD-RW using Nero (excellent program for making VCD's) I would try playing the same VCD you created on a different DVD player, preferable a Pioneer (as I personally know these can read all kinds of CD-R/CD-RW media and playback PAL/NTSC VCD's).

If the same disc you created will work on a different DVD player, at least then you will know it is the Toshiba's fault and not your encoding...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My DVD player is supposed to read DVD/CD/VCD

It spits out virtually every single CD based format there is. Professional discs, CDRs, VCDs(both non-bootleg pro and burned).

Might just be your deck

Chip_E

Agent
To play VCD on a DVD player:
1. Player must have the ability to read VCD.
2. VCD must be created to spec, with the appropiate MPEG format and pre-mastering via CD software ( I prefer Nero on PC and Toast on Mac, but Adaptec on PC is OK too).
3. Player must have the ability to read CD-R or CD-RW (if you are playing a home recorded VCD).
Please note that some short-run commercial discs are duplicated rather replicatd, and are essentially CD-R discs.
As mentioned, http://www.VCDhelp.com is the best site for info.
Hope this helps.
- Chip Eberhart
- DVD Author

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Are you sure the audio CD-RW plays correctly? Try track skipping forward and backward.

You can try to verify the VCD is correct by using a software player, one that has true autoplay for VCD (not just DVD). You might try Cinematograph (not sure it actually qualifies, but that's my one guess).

//Ken

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
For VCD and SVCD I use a very cheap Apex 600A DVD player. Granted it's a crappy player but this thing plays ANYTHING burned onto any media.

Chip_E

Agent
A bit off topic, but relevant to the Apex DVD Player comment, the Apex 600a fails at playing DVD-R and DVD-RW media. However, the cheaper Apex player (I think it's the 1500) plays both formats with ease.

Note, I'm a fan and owner of the Apex 600a, but have 5 other players that pickup where it leaves off.

In non-progressive inexpensive players, the Panasonic RV31 rules supreme.

- Chip Eberhart

- DVD Author

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks