Burning and Playing VCDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_J, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

I tried burning a VCD to a CD-R to see if it would play on my Toshiba SD1600. I've heard the player is compatible with VCDs. The CD-R did not work, the player showed "Disc Error" on the display. I did some more research and found out that the player needs CD-RW, so I burned it again onto a re-writable disc. The same error occurred.
    I'm not sure if it is a formating problem with the disc, I used Nero and followed a proven method, or if the player cannot play VCDs at all.
    Has anyone else tried this, or heard of these issues before? It would be nice to burn some Simpsons episodes or download the first two episodes of Star Trek Enterprise that I missed [​IMG]
    Thanks for any info!

2. JoeDelan

JoeDelan Stunt Coordinator

It is probably nero...

There are other programs out there that are better than Nero. You might need to do a 1x-1x copy.

Try burning the CD at the Lowest Speed 1x and see if that works.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

try different CDRW's. I find that some work on my panny and some don't. Typically the memorex ones work fine for me so maybe try one of those. I did try making a VCD of the EPII trailer and while it did work it had a few glitches in it.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Technically, the SD1600 was never sold as being able to play either CD-R or CD-RW discs. Some CD-RWs might work, but it's a crap shoot.

5. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

My Tosh SD-1200 play VCD's without any problems. Of course they must be burned onto CD-RWs, but that's ok. I use Roxio EZCD 5 Platinum to create the VCDs (of FOX's Family Guy). I have tried Nero and never got it to work correctly, but have never had a problem with EZCD.

My advice: try EZCD and see if it works for you as well.

Good luck!

6. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

8. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I suggest that you go to www.vcdhelper.com for more complete details on making VCDs and what DVD players are compatible.

9. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I never had problems burning VCDs with Nero. Did you go image first?

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Make a direct disc-to-disc copy of an audio CD onto a CD-R or CD-RW. When (if) you find a make/brand of disc that plays reliably in your player, then you can try making a VCD.

vcdhelp.com contains sample video or CD-image files that you can burn with Nero to try VCD compatibility.

//Ken

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

If the latest version of Nero doesn't work, then you won't have much luck I'm afraid. I've never had a problem with Nero and my Panasonic RV80 and Pioneer DV-343.

Jeff

12. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I'm making very small baby steps. I copied an audio cd to a cd-rw and it played fine.[​IMG] Then, I went to vcdhelp.com and downloaded the NTSC bin/cue image and burned it with Fireburner. The disc spins up in the player and I could hear the pickup trying to read it, but it ended up giving me a disc error message.
    Does this mean my player will not play a VCD, or is it just another formatting problem that I should try and resolve? It's quite time consuming as my burner can only burn cd-rws at 2x.[​IMG]

13. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

While the Toshiba SD-1600 will play VCD's it will not read cd-r's. Your only option is to burn them on cd-rw's or get a different dvd player that supports cd-r.

14. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

15. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

If you can't get it to work with a CD-RW using Nero (excellent program for making VCD's) I would try playing the same VCD you created on a different DVD player, preferable a Pioneer (as I personally know these can read all kinds of CD-R/CD-RW media and playback PAL/NTSC VCD's).

If the same disc you created will work on a different DVD player, at least then you will know it is the Toshiba's fault and not your encoding...

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

My DVD player is supposed to read DVD/CD/VCD

It spits out virtually every single CD based format there is. Professional discs, CDRs, VCDs(both non-bootleg pro and burned).

Might just be your deck

17. Chip_E

Chip_E Agent

To play VCD on a DVD player:
    1. Player must have the ability to read VCD.
    2. VCD must be created to spec, with the appropiate MPEG format and pre-mastering via CD software ( I prefer Nero on PC and Toast on Mac, but Adaptec on PC is OK too).
    3. Player must have the ability to read CD-R or CD-RW (if you are playing a home recorded VCD).
    Please note that some short-run commercial discs are duplicated rather replicatd, and are essentially CD-R discs.
    As mentioned, http://www.VCDhelp.com is the best site for info.
    Hope this helps.
    - Chip Eberhart
    - DVD Author

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Are you sure the audio CD-RW plays correctly? Try track skipping forward and backward.

You can try to verify the VCD is correct by using a software player, one that has true autoplay for VCD (not just DVD). You might try Cinematograph (not sure it actually qualifies, but that's my one guess).

//Ken

19. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

For VCD and SVCD I use a very cheap Apex 600A DVD player. Granted it's a crappy player but this thing plays ANYTHING burned onto any media.

20. Chip_E

Chip_E Agent

A bit off topic, but relevant to the Apex DVD Player comment, the Apex 600a fails at playing DVD-R and DVD-RW media. However, the cheaper Apex player (I think it's the 1500) plays both formats with ease.

Note, I'm a fan and owner of the Apex 600a, but have 5 other players that pickup where it leaves off.

In non-progressive inexpensive players, the Panasonic RV31 rules supreme.

- Chip Eberhart

- DVD Author