What's new

Burning "anamorphic" DVDs from HD source? (1 Viewer)

clckworang

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Wasn't sure if this was the right forum for the question, or if I am phrashing it in the right way. But anyway, I recently entered the wonderful world of high-def programming. I found a show that I loved when it first aired, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, that is shown on HDNet but isn't available on DVD. I would love to be able to burn DVDs for it that keeps its widescreen ratio and is anamorphic (for lack of a better word).

I have an HD-DVR as well as a DVDR with hard drive. In the past, before I went HD, I would just record the program onto my DVDR hard drive and then simply burn it. But I have discovered that HD programs come out letterboxed when I put them on my hard drive. I understand that I still am getting the full picture, but it would be much cooler if I were able to burn a disc that takes up the full screen of my widescreen TV. Those black bars on the side can be a bit annoying.

Is there a way to accomplish this? Will I need to buy more equipment? Are there any DVD players out there that can compensate for letterboxed discs? Plus, I am using my TV also as my computer monitor. So, maybe is there a program that I could download that would allow me to control the zoom in such a way that I could fill the screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There should be a number of ways around it, depending on your equipment. Before I got my HDTV, I would set my HD-DVR (a Sony HDD-250) to output HD channels as anamorphic 480i and enjoy a noticeable increase in quality on my old 480i widescreen TV. If you can do that, it should be able to squirt it out as anamorphic 480i/480p. The DVD recorder won't care, it'll just record the picture data it receives.

The trouble, I imagine, will come with playback; the DVD recorder probably won't set the "anamorphic" flag properly, so if your TV's like mine, you'll have to watch the resulting DVDs on "full", rather than "natural".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks