Burned out PSB turning into DIY

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Westfall, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

OK...I have a PSB sub with a bad amp. I have hooked up an old pro-logic receiver running the sub out (from my HK) to the "CD in" on the old receiver. I then ran speaker wire to the red and black wires in the sub itself...in essence replacing the entire PSB amp with the old pro-logic receiver. One problem...I have noticed alot of bleed over. I can hear voices through the sub. My guess is that my HK has a crossover set at 100Hz...thus the reason I can hear some of it in the sub. Can you recommend an external crossover that I can throw into the mix? I'm looking for an inexpensive fix to this pseudo-DIY project.

Thanks for your help
    Rick

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That's strange because I recently fixed the amp in my PSB subsonic 6. I may have actually caused the problem by putting too much stuffing (polyfill) into the enclosure and not allowing the amp enough cooling room (theory). To fix the amp, I replaced the 4 power transistors that were on the power supply. The sub would always blow the fuses as soon as I turned it on. Disconnecting everything after the transformer would allow the fuse not to blow but as soon as I plugged in the power supply by itself, the fuse would blow. What is exactly wrong with your sub/amp?

3. Rick Westfall

As you know...it has the auto on/off feature. First, the sub wasn't turning on at all...no matter what. So I replaced the blown fuse. Now, when the sub gets a signal and turns on, all it does is give off a low humming noise. I'm not very astute in electronics so I don't know the first place to begin in fixing it. I'd love the help!

Rick

BTW...I have the subsonic 6 also.

4. Rick Westfall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUMP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am willing to bet you have lost one transistor on that power supply so the output of the power supply is not what it should be. You say you are not astute in electronics. Do you have a friend who is?

When I ordered the 4 power transistors for my power supply, I double ordered so I got 2 of each. I still have 1 of each if you are interested. If you have a someone who is good with a soldering iron and is comfortable working with circuit boards, he may be able to easily fix this.

As I mentioned in my other thread, PSB wanted to charge me cdn$550 for the entire amp. They would not sell just the P/S. The cost of the parts I needed was