1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Burned out amp LED - how does it work

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The LED (LCD?) panel light quit on my old (early '80s) Technics SA-949 stereo 65-watt amp/tuner. My closest Panasonic repair center (70 miles) wont say if a part is available unless I take it in and they break it open.
    Is an LED like a generic bulb - insert and it's repaired - or may there be circuitry involved?
    I may be looking at $50 here and a long drive, and I wonder if it's worth it, since I have taken this out of my system, but may give it to a friend to power his TV cable/audio output.
    bill
    ------------------

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, is it LED or LCD? LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display, like the numbers on a cheap digital quartz wristwatch or a digital clock radio. LCD displays usually form letters and/or characters. LED is Light Emitting Diode, the little red or green lights that tell you that an amplifier is powered on, which input is selected, and things like that. While someone could construct a number display out of LEDs too, that would be rare.
    Anyway, if it's an LCD display, there's almost certainly circuitry involved. If it's a single LED that needs to be replaced, you could probably just solder a new one in, as long as you pick an LED that matches the one that was in there (in terms of current/voltage/etc.).
    And finally, maybe you're just talking about a regular bulb that's used in old radios to light up the tuning dial? If that's what has blown, that would probably be just a little bulb that you could screw in, again, once you find teh right replacement.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Saurav, it seems to be LCD in that the numbers (e.g. FM frequencies) still appear on the glass panel. It's the background illumination that's gone. IIRC, the display was black on white. I suppose it'll have to be inspected....
    ------------------

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It sounds to me from your description that it's a LCD display backlit with a small bulb. That bulb is burned out so it doesn't light up, but in bright enough light you can still read the display, right?
    A lot of times those tiny bulbs are soldered in, but if you're good at soldering you could get a bulb at Radio Shack (check the voltage before buying a bulb) and put it in yourself.
    KJP