Burned by a bootlegger on Ebay - GBA game!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jason_H, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Well, I have had great luck over the years buying things from Ebay, and have bought plenty of games. I am pissed off though because of this transaction:

Ebay Auction - Harmony of Dissonance

I bought what I thought was a near-mint used copy of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonace for GBA, what I got was a bootleg shipped straight from Hong Kong. Color copied box, manual, and label on the cart. (I'll give the guy props, it is very well done, but still...) The game works, but I'm still very annoyed. I am somewhat of a collector and was just trying to round out my GBA Castlevania titles.

So what the hell does one do? The slimeball included a note that basically says if you have a problem, just return for a refund, but no way am I going to risk losing my money AND the game (or allowing everyone else to keep getting duped.) Do I have any options for recourse? I paid with credit card via PayPal, can I dispute this charge with my CC company?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That's bad luck, Jason.

Bootleg GBA games are mass produced in China/Hong Kong etc.
    That auction is fairly blatant about it in everything but saying "this is a bootleg" unfortunately. It hits just about every "warning sign" for GBA games - flatpacked box, overseas shipping from Asia, "I can get you any GBA game you want", "new but unsealed", etc.

Sorry.

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Well, I guess I'm just an idiot. :b

I thought that the flatpacked box and stuff made sense since I have received smashed/dented boxes in mail before. And I didn't notice anywhere about it being shipped from overseas until it arrived.

I didn't know GBA games were so widely bootlegged. Oh well, I guess I know better for the future. I think I'm going to try and dispute the charge with my credit card company at the very least while filing a complaint with Ebay. Can't hurt.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You're not the first, and sadly, you won't be the last to be burned by GBA pirate carts on eBay, I'm afraid, Jason.

5. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I think you're SOL, but at least the game works. The feedback profile percentage was good, but quite a few of the comments looked pretty generic and the respondants had unusually low feedback profiles themselves. A lot of folks "sell" things to their friends using Buy It Now just so that they can post very positive feedback without actually selling anything at all.

I would slam the guy in his feedback (like one other person did about 10-12 comments down) and report him to eBay--this is the type of thing that gives online auctions a bad name. But, if you report them, eBay might be very thankful and since they now own PayPal, they might cut some sort of deal with you for being an honest customer. I doubt your credit card company will refund your money, but all they can do is say "no", so it's worth a shot.[​IMG]

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Just force choke the guy.

Sorry, I've been playing Star Wars too much. [​IMG]

7. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

-Rob, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jason [rant]IS[/rant] the guy who slammed him 10-12 comments down! Mmm, maybe I'm too serious and you have a dry sense of humor?? [​IMG]

P.S. Since your Live gamer tag is Bassmasa, I was wondering if you ever played the dreamcast fishing games, or used the dreamcast fishing controller? I saw them cheap and I was thinking of picking them up.

-Live Gamertag JTello

8. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

I've been able to get the credit card to reverse charges on bootleg merchandise before, but not with PayPal so it's worth a try.

OT: Both Bass Fishing 1 and especially Sega Marine Fishing are excellent, although I find them easier using the original controller. If the fishing rod controller is under $10 or so I'd say it's worth it.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

11. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

12. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

13. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

and what's up with the unavailability of this title anyway? i was hoping it'd come down to $20 once AOS was released (like how COTM dropped after HOD came out), but the game is just disappearing. A close by Wal-Mart has a few copies at $30, but i'm still holding out.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    It doesn't sound like you got burned, just count it as a lesson learned.

Considering the shipping arrangements you're lucky you got anything at all. When it comes to credibility an ebayer shipping software from some random Asian country is a half step below the guy selling overstock speakers out of the back of a white van.

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Ray Warner

Ray Warner Stunt Coordinator

Occasionally, you'll get people selling the legitimate Asian versions as well, and these are still a lot cheaper than the local versions.

Case in point, I bought the entire Hellsing series for 16 bucks. I was totally expecting a bootleg (and kicking myself for getting it) but, it turns out, it's just the All-Reigon asian box set.

Or, maybe a better way to put it: If it's bootleg, they put enough work into it to make it worth my while. It looks fantastic, has great animated menus, English and Japanese voice tracks, good subtitles, extras, a nice slipcase finish, the works. I can't tell the difference, and neither can my PS2, Xbox, or DVD player. My wallet sure can, though.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I think it's pretty safe to say that's a bootleg too, Ray. Anime boots are getting very sophisticated. I don't think anime is usually released in Asia as region 0 either, is it? Paging Mr Kleist... Paging Mr.Lutter...

Anyway just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's "right" to buy it. Why not buy bootlegged games? But that's by the by.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

19. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I have also been a victim of buying a bootleg game from ebay. I purchased Monkey Ball for GBA and was told after the auction ended that they were out of stock in their US operation so it would ship direct from the warehouse in Hong Kong. I guess that was the first hint it was bootleg but then when i got the game there was no doubt it was. I reported the seller to Nintendo. You can do that to by emailing [email protected]. Nintendo also has a page that shows what some bootleg games look like and how to spot them. http://ap.nintendo.com/tab_06.html

20. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Thanks Mike, I will also report them to Nintendo directly so they are aware of it.