What's new

Burn Notice, Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I started watching from S3 so I don't know how far the show has fallen but I like it, to me it's just a fun show but there is no depth. I take it S1 and S2 had a little bit more going for it then the caper of the week?

I just found out a couple weeks ago that Michaels mom was one of the women from Cagney and Lacey.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Not really Jeremiah and that, for me, is the issue. The show set up an arc for Michael and ignores it every season until the last episode. It then falls back into the case of the week for the rest of the season which is exactly what it is doing again this season.

Last night's episode was somewhat off in terms of the client. They decide to help a client whose income is based on producing cheap knockoffs of shoes, purses,etc? Odd.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

Last night's episode was somewhat off in terms of the client. They decide to help a client whose income is based on producing cheap knockoffs of shoes, purses,etc? Odd.

Wouldn't surprise me if he returns (ala Barry + Sugar) to make them some fake of something for a later episode.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I just saw the hostage episode and I don't understand why Michael wasn't arrested on sight for his crimes in S3. Just because he was taken away by the feds at the end of S3 doesn't mean there still isn't an arrest warrant and trial awaiting him in Miami. I wondered the same thing when he went back to his mom's house at the start of S4. Why weren't the cops waiting for him or at least around the second or third time he went back. It was stated the agency would deny any involvement with Michael so how is it he is somehow cleared of all charges?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Haven't seen it yet, I'm a week behind on TV since I was a Comic Con last week. Refresh my memory...Where the first few episodes of S3 the ones where the female detective was riding him pretty hard and trying to make a case against him?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
At the beginning of S3, they established that because of his actions in S2, he was no longer being "protected", which is why he started getting hassled by regular police. Presumably the people with whom he is now working can prevent his name and activities from popping up in databases even if they will not offically recognize him as an agent of any kind.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I totally agree Matt. It was a great climax that sets the series up for a really good comeback. Its nice to see them getting back to the big "who really burned Michael conspiracy". I was kind of hoping that Jesse would get unburned and become a source for them though as I liked the dynamic better when they were a trio. I'm also struggling with who is tougher: Michael, or his mom.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Whether by intent or mandated by the USA Network the show continues to fumble the serialized story line. This midseason finale is a perfect example. It sets up an intriguing situation in the first 5 minutes and then puts all of it on hold for the next half hour to shoehorn in another mission of the week caper which generated zero emotional interest. Even worse. It try to generate false emotional buy in with the kidnapping of a little girl.

I mean come on. This is a finale of sorts, right? What is the issue with devoting the full length of at least 1 episode to the serialized elements? Most disappointing.

If the show continues to hobble the serialized story arcs in this way it will soon be time to switch from watching the show and getting a bowl of cereal instead.

Thinking Honey-Nut Cheerios.....

Wasted opportunity. Again.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The mission of the week framed/intercut with the larger arc *is* the show. It seems strange to complain about the show for being what it always has been.

Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

/forum/thread/301105/burn-notice-season-4/30#post_3724302

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It seems even stranger to accept something, inferior in my opinion, simply on the basis of that is the way it has always been done.

I see a flaw in the show which hobbles it and felt like sharing my opinion, and the reasons why, it is being prevented from being a more compelling viewing experience.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I think you're expecting a little too much, honestly. It's supposed to be just a fun summer show, and while yes, there is a bit of a deeper storyline, part of the appeal of it to many is that they can just jump in at any time when they're not otherwise busy.

You've been complaining about the same thing for probably 3 years now, I'm not sure why you expect it to change.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't know. I love the format of this show. Yes, I'm a fan of highly serialized shows.. but I miss shows that I could watch "1 off" and enjoy just as much. Burn Notice is a show where, if you watch later, you can pickout favorite episodes and where they fall, what season they are in, etc. matter somewhat, but the "story of the week" makes the show fun.

I think there is some assumption that "it's inferior" .. I think that's in the eye of the beholder. :)

Then again, I seriously miss the new "Outer Limits" (showtime, 7 season) where every episode is entirely different and it's own self contained story. I wish TV had more of that ;)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by mattCR

Of course all art is subjective. You are happy with the configuration Burn Notice decides to run under. That is great for you.

I am disappointed and stated my opinion as to why I feel Burn Notice is failing to fully realize its potential and provided supporting analysis as to why. I consider that a critique and not mere complaining.

Also, it appears to need to be re-stated, Burn Notice does not need to make each episode highly serialized. On the other hand it sure would be nice to give the serialized elements center stage from time to time. Especially with the finale episodes. This latest episode was a prime example of that.

Right now the serialized elements seem somewhat illusionary. I doubt if most fans would care if they dropped them altogether.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I concur with the disappointment that the final episode wasn't 100% about the story arc. I understand the caper of the week advantage because I was one of those who came in late but you don't set up a huge finale to spend a whopping 5 minutes on it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I can see your point Lou. Overall it seems like the serialized story is taking more of a back seat when you look at the overall season (comparing say the first season to this season).

It sets up an intriguing situation in the first 5 minutes and then puts all of it on hold for the next half hour to shoehorn in another mission of the week caper which generated zero emotional interest. Even worse. It try to generate false emotional buy in with the kidnapping of a little girl.
It may not have generated any emotional interest, but I think it severed its purpose. They needed a case that would add some tension to the Jesse wants to kill Michael aspect. It allowed for a bigger part for Michael's mom to deliver the "don't kill my son for at least a few days" speech. She wouldn't have done that for a swindled stock broker. It also created a little more tension due to the added pressure on Michael to get this one done while avoiding Jesse, and gave Fee and his mom a more plausible reason to be a bit more forgiving of Michael.

Like it or not I think it was a good caper as it allowed for a lot of good cast interactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks