What's new

Burn Notice Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Dan_K

Grip
Burn Notice is doing a split season and will return this winter. Yeah, it stinks, but long breaks appear to be the norm with any decent series on NBC Universal. More info here.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
That was an awesome episode. Michael offing Strickler was great. And his realizing just how much he love Fiona added a lot to the show.

Can't wait for winter. Or for when Jeffrey get's out of jail.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_K

Burn Notice is doing a split season and will return this winter. Yeah, it stinks, but long breaks appear to be the norm with any decent series on NBC Universal.
That seems a pretty silly statement to make, IMHO. The Closer (TNT) has 15 episodes this season, broken up into 11 and 4. Last year, The Closer (again TNT) broke their season up into 10 and 5. Saving Grace (also TNT) will break this season up into 9 and 7. Last season Saving Grace (TNT) broke the season up into 7 and 8.

Moving on. Last year, Greek (ABC Family) was broken up 10 and 12. It looks like they'll be doing so again this year. The second season of Kyle XY (ABC Family) was broken up 13 and 10.

Nip/Tuck (FX) broke season five up into 14 and 8, with 11 months between the two halves of the season.

And let's not forget the 10 month gap between the two halves of the final season of the Sopranos (HBO).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't seem to agree with Brian about much, but he's dead on about this. If the splits season is considered an offense, it's an offense that all of the cable networks (and increasingly, the broadcast networks) are guilty of.

Personally, I like it. It means I never have to go more than a couple months without a show I like. Also, it usually means that the cable series fill in the gaps when the broadcast series are on repeats, so there's always sometime to watch. In fact, I wish they'd started this last season of "Monk" in July and run the second half in January, because I'm not ready for the show to end.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well at least the last episode pushed the characters emotionally before the break. Solid and pedestrian first half to the season but the failure to utilize the 'no protection' point to push the characters continues to disappoint.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Start the countdown... just saw the BN is back with new episodes on Thursday, January 21st!

After the finale, I am DESPERATE to see what's gonna happen next, especially with Fi!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Me too. Will they continue to push the characters in the second half of the season or fall back into old habits?

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the characters will DEFINITELY keep pushing forward.

There is no turning back now for Michael and Fi, you know? Big moves have been made.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ep 10 kicked off with a great cameo..

Reuniting Cagney & Lacey? Great stuff ;) Loved the ep in general, this is popcorn TV, but it's really fun popcorn TV.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Although the ending left me wondering: If he could break into the County Records office to save Tyne Daly's job, why couldn't he just break in to steal the records in the first place rather than ruining his mother's friendship?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Although the ending left me wondering: If he could break into the County Records office to save Tyne Daly's job, why couldn't he just break in to steal the records in the first place rather than ruining his mother's friendship?
Bingo!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey

I was thinking:
1. He wasn't going to do it that way because of the risk of getting caught until his mother showed that she just couldn't handle the guilt so he had to do something.
2. He staged a break-in. That isn't necessarily the same thing as being able to get access to the records but now there is a reasonable assumption that if the records are discovered missing, the police will assume there were taken during the break-in. Theoretically he could have photocopied the records and just put the originals back.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
2. He staged a break-in. That isn't necessarily the same thing as being able to get access to the records
Exactly. Physically breaking into the building is one thing, finding the particular records that will support a case against the insurance scam is another. Michael isn't familiar with the county filing system, doesn't have access to the computers network and wouldn't have the time (with the alarms going off and the cops en route) to learn the one or crack the other. If this had been a different kind of case where he was targeting the clerk's office and had weeks to get the information, he might have run one of his usual cons to recon the place, then broken in to steal the files. But in this case he needed the stuff quickly, and was more interested in making contact with his mysterious new friend, so turning a clerk was the way to go.
The break-in provides a plausible explanation for the missing records after the fact, but it wouldn't have worked to actually get them.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would argue that if "it wouldn't have worked to actually get them", then it fails to work as "a plausible explanation for the missing records". I'm picking nits, though.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey

I would argue that if "it wouldn't have worked to actually get them", then it fails to work as "a plausible explanation for the missing records". I'm picking nits, though.
I disagree. As Joe stated, Michael didn't have enough time to learn the system to steal the files. Within the show we can believe that Michael could steal the files if given enough time to understand the layout and filing system without getting caught, i.e. a professional job. So even without that information he could easily make it look like a professional job with the person(s) knowing exactly what they were doing and leave the impression they stole the files without having to break the safe/cabinet/whatever was holding those specific files. Also there would be no trace that they opened the container holding the files because it was a professional job.

Besides, Occam's razor would indicate to the police that the break-in is the most likely reason rather than thinking any person working there would steal them. Plus they have a suspect; the guy in the Corvette they caught with the files.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Plus they have a suspect; the guy in the Corvette they caught with the files.

No more calls, please. We have a winner. The fact that the guy would deny everything and claim he was setup as a fall guy for the "burglary" would mean nothing because he'd also be denying the insurance scam, for which they had him cold. The cops would never look twice at the break-in, convinced that they already had the perp responsible (if not necessarily all his accomplices) in custody.

Regards,

Joe

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
So, this week's episode was a good one. I am curious about one thing... What did Gilroy mouth after hanging up the phone with Mikey?

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Michael Weston doing his best Clint Eastwood impression. Love it.

Plus, the finger snapping thing was awesome.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Bringing back someone from the past was a pretty good play. I'm actually really like the actor who is playing the big-bad of sorts.. I liked him in "Mental" (Fox last summer) but think he's better in this role. Pretty enjoyable stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks