Burn In

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregoryKrolczyk, Jun 20, 2002.

1. GregoryKrolczyk

I'm looking at the MITS WT-46809 - perfect size, fits my budget, etc... The problem is that I watch a LOT of regular TV via DirecTV and TIVO and keep reading (here) that the expansion modes on the MITS sucks. So I'm thinking no problem, I'll just watch regular TV in the narrow format. But then I also heard that if I watch TV in the narrow format I risk burn-in. Then I've heard that burn-in is not a problem if you turn the contrast (or was it sharpness?) all the way down (where I'm told it belongs)(I'm told a lot, doncha think?).
    Thoughts?

2. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gregory,

Part of the purchase process is assessing one's viewing habits and matching them with what's available.

Since you watch a lot of 4:3 programs, I'd suggest you just buy a 4:3 set.

r,
    Errol

3. GregoryKrolczyk

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I'm afraid that doesn't really address the question.

4. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

It's contrast (typically under 40%). Use Avia or Video Essentials also to do user calibration.
    More info here on burn-in.
    Hope that helps some.
    r,
    Errol

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

extended use of an aspect ratio that does not = that of your TV will cause burn in regardless of the contrast setting ... be the set calibrated or not.

It just takes a lot longer if the TV is set up right, but it still will happen.

Regards

6. GregoryKrolczyk

So bottom line is, if I watch a lot of TV and want a widescreen, I'd better buy one with an expansion mode that I can live with. And, I hear the Mitsu's suck. Any suggestions in the $2000 range?

And thanks all for taking the time.

7. GregoryKrolczyk

8. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

9. GregoryKrolczyk

Yeah, from what I've discovered, Pioneer doesn't make one in the 46" range, have to check on the rest. Thanks for the imput.

Other opinions still welcome.

10. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

I haven't taken the plunge yet, so take this for what it's worth. For watching a 4:3 image, I like the Sony's. They have a stretch mode that trims a little of the picture top and bottom, so you're not seeing the "whole" picture. However, the demo I was watching was of a hot-air balloon and this mode presented the picture with the least distortion of the balloon's shape. Other TVs do this as well, but I was most inpressed with Sony's version of it.

My preference during 4:3 tv watching on a 16:9 is that the picture be distorted as little as possible rather than seeing the whole picture.

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've got a widescreen Sony and will ditto David's opinion of the variable stretch mode--quite good. Toshibas are also quite good.

The 51" Sony widescreen is a bit more expensive than the 46" Mits, but does not require a stand so the price advantage for the Mits pretty much disappears.

Toshiba has 42" and 50" models that would be price competitive with the Mits.

Pioneer has very good stretch modes smallest widescreen is a 53", but it starts at around a thousand more than the Sony/Tosh/Mits.

I had an Hitachi widescreen for a couple of weeks and it's variable stretch was nausea inducing. Way too much stretch at the sides.

12. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

After checking out all "stretch" modes on the available widescreen RPTV's in my area, Panny was the definite winner.
    I ended up with the 47WX49, and could not be happier.
    Chris

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gregory: As you've been advised, keep the contrast (White Level) and brightness (Black Level) reasonably low while mixing your viewing material reasonably between 4:3 and 16:9 sources, and you should do just fine. Try to "walk" on all areas of the "carpet" as much as possible. And use the stretch mode on all non-critical 4:3 programming (i.e., news, weather, non-HD sports broadcasts, the like). If you follow these precautions, you should do just fine with any 16:9 set you end up purchasing. Let us know what you you decide. JB

14. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

My Mits 65807 has all the modes I need. And it looks great. I don't know what you heard about the Mits, or from where. Perhaps you heard that older Mits modes locked in "full" mode with progressive input, which was true. But since at least last years model, you have all the modes you need (including that one that stretches the sides and leaves the center alone, which I find more than tolerable).

15. GregoryKrolczyk

Thanks all so much (and please keep the suggestions coming). The Mits had been my first choice, not only because of $ and size, but also because there is - to my knowledge - really only two dealers within 75 miles of me: BestBuys (which I'd prefer to skip) and an actual "dealer," Domes AV. Given the choice, I'd rather support the specialty store, as I would expect better after-purchase service, and Domes carries the Mits.

The Sony and Pioneer are a bit out of budget, and while the Toshiba sounds decidedly attractive, the only dealer around here is Sears. I'd have to special order it and who knows how their customer service is.

So....