Burn In Paranoia - sweeping the nation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt*B, May 21, 2004.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I am getting a Hitachi 16:9 Hd Monitor rp tv, so this is new question is on my mind. On a 16:9 hdtv rptv, I understand that burn in is an issue when many, many, many movies are watched with black bars present. So, if most of my movies are 16:9 enhanced, and therefore fill the whole screen, there is less to worry about -- right?

Also, do bright, bright whites pose a problems?

How long does it take for burn in to occur -- say with 5 hours of use a week?

Also, this new wave of burn-in concerns with widescreen tv's is nothing different from the issues that were present with big screens for the past 10 years or so -- right?

Also, this new wave of burn-in concerns with widescreen tv's is nothing different from the issues that were present with big screens for the past 10 years or so -- right? I have had a 4:3 60 inch rptv for 8 years and never had a problem.

The other reason I bring this up is that many other forums have posts that make it seem like if you watch the wrong movie for more than a few hours, you will ruin your new tv in a matter of a few days.....

Thanks,

Matt

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Please refer to the master burn-in thread

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton

This is not necessarily true. Movies that are a 1.85:1 aspect ratio will likely fill the screen. Movies at wider aspect ratios (2.35:1, 2.4:1) will still show black bars.

-Jason

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, please the master burn-in thread here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105385

That's what burn in is, is wear of the phosphor. Bright colors will cause wear. Displaying black won't cause any phosphor wear (though it may wear other parts of the tube at the emission end, but it's not phosphor wear).

Black bars don't cause the wear, but the middle part of the screen that is active will wear, while the black parts will not. This is why the attempt is made with gray pillarbox bars for 4:3 material on 16:9 TVs. Read through the linked thread to learn more.

Correctly calibrated, and used, a CRT-based tv shouldnt have too much of a problem with burn-in. Direct view CRTs even less so than projection crts.