What's new

Burn-in occurs from the guns, right? (1 Viewer)

So if I replaced all 3 guns on my TV I wouldn't see the burn-in anymore, correct? Can anyone on here point me in the right direction to the cheapest place online to buy them (I have a Mits WS-55805)?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
You're correct, the "guns" or CRTs are what get burned in. Actually, it's the phosphor coating on the face of the CRT, not the electron gun per se, which is in the neck of the CRT.

In any case, you'd have to replace your CRTs to get rid of the burn in. The CRTs generally run about $300 apiece, and there are three of them. Depending on the extent of the burn-in, you may only have to replace one or two of them. The green gun is usually the first to burn, followed by the blue. The red is least susceptible. You'll need a tech to replace the CRTs and recalibrate the set, so count on a couple hundred bucks worth of labor in there too.

KJP

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the set- I've seen replacement tubes run closer to $750-1000 a piece- and a complete retube with labor run $3000-$4000 or more!

-vince

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Vince, that sounds more like the prices for FPTV CRTs, or 9" RPTV CRTs. RPTVs use cheaper CRTs than FPTVs, and most 7"ers tend to run arond $300-400, at least from what I've heard. After all, how can a RPTV sell for $1800 if the CRTs are a grand a pop?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

My experience was with FP, although 7 inchers. The issue on cost seemed to come not from the original parts cost- but rather from the age. As I'm sure you know, when a model is out of production for a while- the parts prices tend to get a little high.

While a current model, or a recent model might be easy to find-- sometimes thos early 90's parts from sets are a bit expensive. Wasn't familiar with the Mits in question- so i have no idea the age. But figured it was worthwhile to brace for the potential expense- and be relieved!

-vince

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Vince - the 55805 is a 2000 model set, so the parts should still be readily available. At least I hope so, as I have a 46805 and if something goes on it I would want to be able to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks